Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Starting Pitcher Of The Month - July 2017

aaron slegers charlie barnes tim melville fernando romero clark beeker
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#21 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 1,025 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:09 PM

Doesn't it seem likely that Slegers will get a few starts in September? One would assume that Colon will be an August trade candidate.  Santana is on pace for about 210 innings (145 to date)  so he will need a break when and if the team falls out of the race. The FO needs to see if he can translate to the MLB so they can decide if they need to protect him.  I keep seeing comments that his pitches aren't MLB caliber but I think we need to give him a shot and see if that's correct.  

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,215 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:07 PM

Doesn't it seem likely that Slegers will get a few starts in September? One would assume that Colon will be an August trade candidate. Santana is on pace for about 210 innings (145 to date) so he will need a break when and if the team falls out of the race. The FO needs to see if he can translate to the MLB so they can decide if they need to protect him. I keep seeing comments that his pitches aren't MLB caliber but I think we need to give him a shot and see if that's correct.

Like everything, it is a matter of percentages. Not many teams make Rule 5 picks, and even fewer Rule 5 picks actually stick. If Slegers has a 10% chance of getting selected and sticking, not sure it makes sense to protect him. We likely have higher odds of losing him if we add him to the 40-man, but then have to remove him (for a FA? trade acquisition?). As counterintuitive as it seems, the best way to keep him in the org long term, as a AAA/depth piece, might be to leave him off the roster.

Also, we are nearing the point where the rules discourage teams from adding fringe guys. Starting August 15, anyone we add to the 40-man can't even be DFA'd or outrighted off the roster to the minors from November into March.

Edited by spycake, 05 August 2017 - 06:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron slegers, charlie barnes, tim melville, fernando romero, clark beeker