Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Hitter Of The Month - July 2017

jonathan rodriguez mitch garver jose miranda andrew bechtold shane carrier
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 17,485 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 06:47 PM

All of the healthy MLB Top 30 hitting prospects are showing progress except for Rortvedt, who's a 19 year-old catcher in a league where the average player is 21.

In addition to noting his age, it's also well to consider that Rortvedt's stats include a horrendous start to the season. The numbers all count, of course, but when evaluating a prospect I think you want to check whether he's moving in the right direction. Since mid-May, he's posted a very presentable .267 BA with a little bit of pop and selectivity, leading to an OPS just north of .700. He's not tearing the cover off the ball, but a promotion next year to high-A would not surprise me. He's been pushed because of good reviews behind the plate, I'm pretty certain.

Maybe Ben Rortvedt would have been better served by staying in EST for 2 1/2 months and wait for that league to start instead of jumping up to the Kernels right away.

The way he flailed around in April was not pretty. But it's debatable, given how he's going now, whether he would have been better served by hitting, say, .300 at E-town.

• dbminn likes this

Nothing is so annoying as someone going on talking when I'm interrupting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jonathan rodriguez, mitch garver, jose miranda, andrew bechtold, shane carrier