Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (8/2): Palka Power, Enlow Excels, Romero Rocks

daniel palka blayne enlow fernando romero alex robles travis harrison
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:18 AM

Recently, I saw Gibson stretching a lot and exercising while the Twins were at bat for long innings but rarely see other pitchers doing so.  

To be fair, we haven't seen a lot of real long innings for the Twins bats. Ha!

But I do think innings matter too, even if you just end up considering the 7-8 warm up pitches each inning that they throw too. 

#22 hugelycat

hugelycat

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 11:58 AM

Romero's stats since being put on his innings limit:

6 starts, 30 IP, 1.80 ERA, 10.8 k/9, 2.7 BB/9, 1.20 WHIP.

Because of the innings limit it's tough to say how representative these starts are, but Romero is definitely impressive! 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#23 Obsvr

Obsvr

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

THURSDAY’S PROBABLE STARTERS

Kane County @ Clinton (6:35 CST) - LHP Tyler Watson

Click here to view the article

Did we pick up a new farm team?

• ashburyjohn likes this

#24 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,280 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

Is it the Tyler Watson from the Mariners organization?

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 01:38 PM

Did we pick up a new farm team?

Updated, and Oops!

#26 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2017 - 02:26 PM

So Romero is at 110 innings so far. His cap before getting shut down completely is probably, what, 150 innings? It sure would be nice if 20-30 of the remaining innings were in Minnesota. 

I'm not sure what the front office is going to do, but if he stays at 5 innings a start through the end of the month, would add about 25 innings to his total. Would potentially make sense to call him up in September, give him 2 inning outings every 3 days or so, give him a taste. Never let him come in the middle of an inning.

I would very much hesitate to call him up for starts in the bigs, but a limited bullpen role when the rosters are expanded could be a good way for him to wind him down this year and break him into the bigs. You could then start him at AAA next year, build up the pitch counts and innings, give him a taste of success, and he could be ready by mid-May as a rotation replacement with the potential to make it through the season.

It's not popular, but I would keep Gonsalves down through the end of the Chattanooga season. He'll need some more innings, so could call him up after that for some end of the year starts in the bigs, or perhaps send him to Arizona. Would put him in good position to start next year at AAA and be ready as a rotation replacement relatively quickly next year.

Finally starting to build some meaningful minor league depth.

Papers...business papers.

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,824 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:12 PM

Why do teams use innings to measure a pitchers workload when individual games are measured in pitches?

It goes without saying that all innings are not equal. They do not create the same amount of stress on a pitcher, physical or mental.

#28 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:25 PM

Why do teams use innings to measure a pitchers workload when individual games are measured in pitches?

It goes without saying that all innings are not equal. They do not create the same amount of stress on a pitcher, physical or mental.

I highly doubt it's only innings, but it serves as a useful shorthand. Teams track stressful innings for minor leaguers and pull pitchers accordingly. And innings are usually not a hard cap, more a target range.
Papers...business papers.

#29 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

Remember, they aren't looking at the same stats we are! They have a book for each pitcher detailing how every single start went. I would imagine it includes not just pitch count, but pitch selection (FB, Sl, etc.) and coach's notes, which I am sure includes comments about long innings and runners continuously on, etc. I suppose now it also contains TrackMan data for those stadiums that have installed it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: daniel palka, blayne enlow, fernando romero, alex robles, travis harrison