Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: SDP 3, MIN 0: Don’t Need a Closer if You Can’t Score

jose berrios byron buxton eduardo escobar joe mauer alan busenitz
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Content Editor

• Administrator
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 01:19 AM

Jose Berrios was outstanding, carrying a no-hitter into the sixth inning, but the Twins offense got shut out for just the second time all season. The bats could muster only three hits, all of them singles, to go along with a pair of walks. The bright side: At least one of the base knocks came from Byron Buxton, who was playing his first game back off the DL.Win Expectancy (via Fangraphs)
Download attachment: WinEx81.png
This was an encouraging night for Berrios and Buxton, which in the big picture is really what’s important for the remainder of this season. Berrios gave up just one run over 7.0 two-hit innings. He walked two and struck out four, throwing just 75 pitches, 46 for strikes.

If this was an AL game, there’s little doubt Jose would have gone out for the eighth inning, but he was pinch hit for as the leadoff man in the eighth inning. Paul Molitor has been an easy target of late, but I think that’s a move that had to be made in a 1-0 game at the time.

Along with going 1-for-3, Buxton also stole his 17th base of the season. Eduardo Escobar was a bright spot as well, going 1-for-2 with a pair of walks. Zack Granite had a rough night at the plate, hitting into two double plays, but he also made a nice catch at the wall in left field.

Joe Mauer made the play of the game with this sweet over the shoulder basket catch.

Unfortunately, Alan Busenitz gave up a two-run homer in the eighth inning. As someone who has been clamoring for the young relievers to get more opportunities, that was a tough pill to swallow in the first game post-Kintzler, but here’s hoping Busenitz doesn’t have to wait so long between appearances for another chance to prove himself. His last game prior to tonight was July 25.

Postgame With Molitor

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Pen81.png
Wednesday
Twins (Ervin Santana) at San Diego (Luis Perdomo), 2:40 pm CT

Over his last five starts, Perdomo has given up 21 runs in 25.1 innings, though only 15 of those were earned (5.33 ERA). The right-hander has yielded an .895 OPS and has a 15:9 K:BB ratio over that same stretch. Lefties have hit .331/.407/.494 (.901 OPS) off him this season.

Santana followed a terrible June with a more respectable, yet still uninspiring July. In four starts he had a 4.68 ERA and 1.40 WHIP. Through his first 11 starts, Erv had a 1.75 ERA. In his 10 starts since, his ERA is 5.46.

Click here to view the article
  • Willihammer likes this

Find me on Twitter @TFTwins and subscribe to my YouTube channel.

#2 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• 1,680 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

I didn't stay up past the fifth inning, and didn't check the score until I'd been awake for two hours. Maybe they felt a collective subconscious lack of rally caps?

#3 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 438 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

It was disheartening to watch the bats, as they made Chacin look like an All-Star. At least Berrios pitched a heck of a game.

• Mike Sixel, Willihammer and bluechipper like this

#4 bluechipper

bluechipper

• 2,271 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:47 AM

I'm probably (almost definitely) a homer on this, but the Twins got screwed for about the 5th game in a row by the home plate ump. His called strikeout on Kepler, instead of a walk to load the bases, was probably the play of the game.

• blindeke and curt1965 like this

#5 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Ft Myers Miracle

• 320 posts
  • LocationRedwood Falls MN

Posted 02 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I'm probably (almost definitely) a homer on this, but the Twins got screwed for about the 5th game in a row by the home plate ump. His called strikeout on Kepler, instead of a walk to load the bases, was probably the play of the game.

As some have been saying, time to automate the strike zone!  Bad calls can determine the outcome of a game, and that's not cool.

• bluechipper likes this

#6 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,539 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:13 AM

Another game, another strikeout looking by Castro where he turns and whines to the umpire. He does this regularly and it's just bizarre, immature behavior for a catcher in particular. You could hear Gladden say "that's a good call" off mike after Castro struck out in the 7th last night.
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#7 wsnydes

wsnydes

Baseball season goes past September?!

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationApple Valley

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

That's probably the frustration talking.  

When things go sideways, things tend to really go sideways and everything looks worse than it really is.  That's conversely true when things are going good.

• bluechipper and MN_ExPat like this
"Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. Sometimes it rains."

#8 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,466 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

You aren't wrong.  The graph is Chacin last night, look at those called strikes off the outside part of the plate.  

numlocation.php-pitchSel=468504&game=gid

Edited by SwainZag, 02 August 2017 - 10:35 AM.

• bluechipper and MN_ExPat like this

#9 ahart10

ahart10

• 277 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

At least I got to watch a game thanks to FS1. Even if the offense couldn't back a gem by Berrios. Castro needs to take the bat off his shoulder. Especially with the pitcher, who's having a great game, up next and Buxton in scoring position.
  • Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco and Respy like this

#10 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

• 438 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

As much as the out of zone calls feel like a gut punch, I'm STILL not sold on automated strike zones. That imperfection is one of the things that make baseball beautiful (albeit tragic and cruel, but beautiful nonetheless).  

• wsnydes and wabene like this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,534 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

As much as the out of zone calls feel like a gut punch, I'm STILL not sold on automated strike zones. That imperfection is one of the things that make baseball beautiful (albeit tragic and cruel, but beautiful nonetheless).  

our disagreement on the beauty of that is probably not overcomable.....but explains why not every problem is easily solved in the world, because many of us come from different starting points...

• MN_ExPat likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:15 AM

Helluva catch by Mauer.

• Mike Sixel and Ryan Atkins like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#13 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

• 438 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

our disagreement on the beauty of that is probably not overcomable.....but explains why not every problem is easily solved in the world, because many of us come from different starting points...

Well said. It was more of a statement on the many imperfections of the game and that most of us appreciate the fact that baseball probably more than any other sport embraces the traditions of the past (sometimes to a fault, but embraces them nonetheless).

But as far as automation goes, if the Twins were winning and in contention right now, would any of us really be barking about those head scratching calls on the balls and strikes?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#14 Ryan Atkins

Ryan Atkins

• 62 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Helluva catch by Mauer.

He really deserves a gold glove this year. Since its voted on my managers and coaches (not the BBWAA), I have hope.

• Willihammer and MN_ExPat like this

#15 Ryan Atkins

Ryan Atkins

• 62 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

Berrios was brilliant last night.

As Eric Karros said on FS1, "he does not deserve to be down" in this game (when trailing 1-0). Maybe he'll win a 10-8 game soon to balance this one out.

It was tough to watch the no-no broken up by a dribbler and then Max K. doing his Nelson Cruz impression (circa 2011 WS, almost identical play).

• Willihammer likes this

#16 adorduan

adorduan

• 688 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 04:28 PM

You aren't wrong.  The graph is Chacin last night, look at those called strikes off the outside part of the plate.  

numlocation.php-pitchSel=468504&game=gid

Is there a chart for Berrios?  Just want to see if he got any calls also....

#17 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

There is also a difference between a problem and a "problem".

• Mike Sixel likes this
Papers...business papers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, byron buxton, eduardo escobar, joe mauer, alan busenitz