Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Let's just say Francisco Liriano didn't have the best day

danny valencia francisco liriano justin morneau
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:01 PM

According to La Velle Neal, Francisco Liriano's live pitching session didn't go all that well. First, he plunked Danny Valencia (but who doesn't want to do that, what with all his swagger) and then gave up a "long one" to Justin Morneau (maybe Liriano's fastball is the cure for a concussion). It's spring so it's hard to put too much emphasis on it but for those counting on a rebound to his 2010 form, that's not a great start.

Edited by Parker Hageman, 28 February 2012 - 04:24 PM.

#2 TwinsMusings

TwinsMusings

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:08 PM

I'm afraid it is just wishful thinking that Liriano will ever be anything but inconsistent. On the other hand, the fact that Morneau crushed a few in live BP is enough to say this was a good day.

#3 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

At this point, I'm afraid Liriano just isn't ever going to be that good of a pitcher. He wasn't good last year (and while I loved seeing his no-no, it had to be one of the most painfully pitched) and his winterball numbers were weak, even for that league, not to mention for a major league pitcher. I think, for whatever reason, poor coaching, injury, or mentally, he's lost his way.

#4 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:05 PM

Maybe it's just a bit premature to draw conclusions? If hitters hadn't made solid contact, would we be concluding that "the Franchise is back!" I don't think so. I'm not a big fan of Liriano, by any means, but while it's called "live batting practice," because pitchers aren't just lobbing the ball over the plate, it's still batting practice.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#5 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:10 PM

Maybe it's just a bit premature to draw conclusions? If hitters hadn't made solid contact, would we be concluding that "the Franchise is back!" I don't think so.

I'm not a big fan of Liriano, by any means, but while it's called "live batting practice," because pitchers aren't just lobbing the ball over the plate, it's still batting practice.

Not really. I'm basing mine on his last year and really a lack of improvent during it, as well as his inability to even look decent in a weak league over the winter. I hope I'm wrong but his trend, as well as continued evidence of it is concerning.

Edited by Alex, 28 February 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#6 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 845 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

I would be scared to stand in against him if I were Morneau. Sounds like Liriano doesn't know where the ball is going.

#7 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,330 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:12 PM

Ok. I am not willing to comment about someone's abilities based on his first spring training bullpen before even ST games started. Way way way premature On the other hand, it is very encouraging for Morneau to time and drill a 92 mph or so FB (that's what Frankie was hitting in the DWL)
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#8 Buddy14

Buddy14

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

The Twins had their chance to dump "The Franchise" last year when there was still interest in him. They had a chance to get off that sinking ship and decided to take the ride to the bottom. Sadly, they have to ride it out now and hope for a miracle that isn't coming. Live BP results have nothing to do with his mediocre results and bad attitude.

#9 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:20 PM

Hardly cause for panic, but combined with the lukewarm reports on Liriano from winter ball, it's tough to be encouraged. Liriano's resurgent 2010 campaign was prefaced by a spectacular DWL run and a very good spring.

#10 jlichty

jlichty

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hard to be optimistic about him this year. Sadly, the upside here is a trade for the return Twins got for JC Romero, but just as likely is mid-season trade for a return consisting of a PTBNL.

#11 Kirsten Brown

Kirsten Brown

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:21 PM

I read a quote from one of the beat writers on Twitter (I follow them all, so I don't know which one) that said Liriano's response to a question about Justin's homerun was that he "didn't know he was ready." I'm not really sure what he meant by that, but it kind of made me laugh. I also loved how Parker got yelled at by Danny's mom on Twitter for the "who doesn't want to hit Danny?" remark. At any rate, it's high time Liriano figured out how to be a consistent pitcher.

#12 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

I also loved how Parker got yelled at by Danny's mom on Twitter for the "who doesn't want to hit Danny?" remark.

\

That was an incredible milestone in my life.

https://twitter.com/...628599507324930