Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

2018 Rochester Rotation

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:11 PM

Just looking at the arms the Twins will likely be stashing in Rochester:

Enns

Littell

Gonsalves

Romero

Jorge

Sleegers

Stewart

That's seven names, all of whom would likely be on the 40 man, where in reality they would have only 5 or 6 starters. I suppose Stewart might be able to be left off the 40 man, and possibly left in Rochester, but that's one heck of an AAA rotation. Other than Enns, I don't see any with a real chance of breaking with MN, and I really hope they aren't planning on having 2 rookies in the rotation come 2018.

#2 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

1. What is your assumption on Hurlbut?

2. One could suggest adding Trevor May to this list as well as he returns from injury.

3. I also like this list, and I'm with you in hoping they aren't planning on having two of them in the rotation at the beginning of 2018. In fact, I'd prefer their not planning to start any of them in the rotation -- I'm not sure that any of them are where Berrios was a year ago at this point, and it seems to have worked well for his development to begin 2017 in Rochester.

4. Which is why I prefer they not trade Santana. I could very much live with a rotation of: 

1-Break the bank on signing a free agent who doesn't cost anything in terms of player talent.

2-Berrios

3-Santana

4-Mejia

5-Someone from among likes of a low-level free agent signing, Phil Hughes or a Dillon Gee-type. Yes, I'd even consider the right person on a minor league contract -- even non-tendering Gibson or Santiago and giving them a final shot. I know options like Hughes/Gee/Gibson/Santiago won't be popular on this site, but the No. 5 starter really only gets 3-4 starts before early May. I'd rather give your list the extra month in Rochester.

4. The message to the guys on your list heading into spring training is: "We hope to start you in Rochester unless you force us into having no choice but to add you to the rotation. Otherwise, your job is to go to Rochester and be ready for the callup, because the odds are that we're going to need a half-dozen of you over the course of the year." 

Edited by IndianaTwin, 30 July 2017 - 10:04 PM.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,251 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:28 AM

May is a major leaguer. If he needs time come spring, I'd have him as an EST candidate and send over to Rochester when he's ready to start pitching. That might not be the right answer, but to me he deserves a spot on the ML team as soon as he's ready. He would be my top choice for 5th starter if he's ready out of ST.

I do think that the 5th spot should be a rotating spot given the depth of talent that will exist in the high minors. Just about (if not) all of those guys will be on the 40 man, meaning that they do not need to have too much patience if a guy cannot make it out of the 3rd inning for multiple starts.

If Santana is traded, I think they go with a 1 year deal for someone on top of a big FA signing. Just my two cents. I agree that I don't think it would be wise to go into 2018 without making an FA splash, and that is if they keep Erv.

As for Hurlbut, I've never been too high on him, but I do agree that he's been good enough that he should be in this conversation too.

• Cory Engelhardt and IndianaTwin like this

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

1. What is your assumption on Hurlbut?

Hurlbut is a minor league free agent this winter. He's been solid in Rochester this year, but with that group of names in the first post, I don't see how you can justify giving Hurlbut a 40-man spot just to keep him around. He turns 28 in November...
  • TNTwinsFan, IndianaTwin, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

I think Romero finishes this year in the ML bullpen and will be given every chance to start with the ML club next year, like Mejia did this year.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#6 Yoke

Yoke

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:49 AM

I could see Stewart left in AA for at least the start of the season.

I'd also like to have Slegers get a couple starts for the Twins this year to see if he could fill a back end of the rotation spot next season. He has been solid this year.

#7 SF Twins Fan

SF Twins Fan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 278 posts
  • LocationNew York City, NY

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

I'd think Stewart remains in AA to start next season and I also think we could see one of these pitchers added to a trade this offseason.  They aren't all going to make it to the ML and with Berrios and Mejia taking up two spots already it will be difficult to find room.  Package one with Dozier or another player to either get a ML player other players at a lower level.  

#8 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,251 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:59 AM

I agree on Stewart in AA. I'd further add that he might not be added to the 40 man given his results. He could be a rule V casualty if the FO wanted to roll the dice there. Regardless, he's hardly been horrible in AA. His problem continues to be his peripheral stats.

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:09 AM

I agree on Stewart in AA. I'd further add that he might not be added to the 40 man given his results. He could be a rule V casualty if the FO wanted to roll the dice there. Regardless, he's hardly been horrible in AA. His problem continues to be his peripheral stats.

I'd be shocked if he's not protected. If they aren't planning to protect him, they should be trading him. He's get real value. 

• bluechipper likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#10 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

The thing is if out of those 7 names we get 1 Brad Radke career, 1 Scott Baker career and 1 Boof Bonser career it would be a major win. 

As with all systems and all prospects more will flame out or be at best replacement level than be solid major leaguers for winning teams.

It will all sort itself out but I still hope they keep Santana.

Next year 

Santana 

Berrios 

Mid level FA

Mejia

Best of whoever until June when May is ready.

That could be a legit July/August/Sept rotation. If the FA was better than mid level then great.

• Loosey and IndianaTwin like this

#11 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,180 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 31 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Compared to this season, that's a pretty good list of darts to throw at the MLB rotation next season if/when there are injuries in that rotation. 

• Mike Sixel, bluechipper, dbminn and 1 other like this

#12 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:24 PM

Hurlbut is a minor league free agent this winter. He's been solid in Rochester this year, but with that group of names in the first post, I don't see how you can justify giving Hurlbut a 40-man spot just to keep him around. He turns 28 in November...

Thanks -- that's helpful clarification.

I assume that also means he's likely not someone that will get a 40-man spot elsewhere either, so if they like him and he likes the Twins, they could offer a minor league invite and a shot to be in the mix, right?  

(And to clarify, I'm not necessarily a Hurlbut fan -- I just like having as many options available as possible, particularly if they've got a good history with him. And besides, that's gotta be one of the better names out there -- I could see putting that on a shirt.)

Edited by IndianaTwin, 31 July 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#13 olivia11

olivia11

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:33 PM

Littell could very likely start in AA next year, he's only got 40 innings this year after throwing 70 in A+ earlier this season.  Similar to Gonsalves' 2016 season.

#14 twinssouth

twinssouth

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 05:26 PM

Gonsalves and Romero should be Sept call ups, in fact, one of them could be brought up now to take Garcia's spot. They won't need a 5th pitcher until later in the week. We need to start seeing what these kids can do.

#15 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 04:58 AM

If the Twins have two rookies in the rotation, it likely means they're having a good.

That may seem antithetical to the typical thoughts on that subject (that teams who are rebuilding play the young guys). But, given the state of the rotation, with all of the mediocre options they have, the rookies will only pitch if they're pitching well and the team is in it. I don't see them pressing any of these guys into service in a lost season.

#16 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 507 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:21 AM

I don't get it. We don't want to give up a 40 man spot to Hurlbut but we're prepared to give that spot to a free agent 4th or 5th starter who projects to be no better than Hurlbut. And much older. And much more expensive. Why not put Hurlbut into the 5th starter spot?
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#17 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

I don't get it. We don't want to give up a 40 man spot to Hurlbut but we're prepared to give that spot to a free agent 4th or 5th starter who projects to be no better than Hurlbut. And much older. And much more expensive. Why not put Hurlbut into the 5th starter spot?

I think we've seen enough of the soft tossing lefty who pitches well in AAA, and then gets crushed in the MLB.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#18 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,783 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 11:07 AM

Who is this FA starter that projects to be no better than Hurlbut?

Have other teams completely missed the boat on Pat Dean, Andrew Albers, Logan Darnell, Jason Wheeler, etc.?  We're a veritable machine at churning out these FA 4th or 5th starter equivalents, it seems...

I am pretty sure we will put a prospect or a FA starter with more potential in the spot first, and if they get hurt or falter, Hurlbut or an equivalent will probably be sitting on our AAA roster if we really need to use them.