Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Royce Lewis

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:10 PM

I know this isn't exactly breaking news but he's been awesome so far this year. Exceeded all my expectations.

Plate discipline, really good contact, sneaky pop, elite athlete, he brings it all. Only question is if he'll enough arm to stay at SS. Very worthy of the #1 pick.
Papers...business papers.

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

BJ Garbe had pretty good stats in his debut pro season too. Which suggests there are probably still some questions about Lewis beyond his SS arm. :)  But so far, so good.

• Brock Beauchamp likes this

#3 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,237 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:25 PM

He's been great. 

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#4 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:38 PM

BJ Garbe had pretty good stats in his debut pro season too. Which suggests there are probably still some questions about Lewis beyond his SS arm. :) But so far, so good.

Not this good. And Garbe went in the tank his first full year.

What has jumped out to me is the k/bb ratios, while also keeping some pop and flashing the plus, plus athleticism.

Interesting comparing him to Buxton. Similar, Buxton had more pop but k'ed a lot more.

I have really high hopes for Lewis going into next year.
  • Sssuperdave, bluechipper, DocBauer and 2 others like this

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,754 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

I didn't really like the pick (though I did like the strategy to get Leach and Enlow) but right now it's looking like the guys in charge might actually know what they are doing...

• DocBauer and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#6 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

I'm impressed so far too. Fingers crossed.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#7 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:51 PM

I know this isn't exactly breaking news but he's been awesome so far this year. Exceeded all my expectations.

Plate discipline, really good contact, sneaky pop, elite athlete, he brings it all. Only question is if he'll enough arm to stay at SS. Very worthy of the #1 pick.

It's not the arm that's the question at SS, it's the footwork.  His arm is above average for SS, he just needs alot of reps on his footwork if he's going to stay in the infield.  It's one of those things that his bat is more advanced than his glove at this point and I think it's always going to be that way.  Personally, I think if you stick him in the outfield now, there's a real good chance he's ready by 2020 Opening Day to start in CF for the Twins.

• kab21 likes this

#8 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

I didn't really like the pick (though I did like the strategy to get Leach and Enlow) but right now it's looking like the guys in charge might actually know what they are doing...

Well at least you're honest with your past assessment and many Twins fans felt the same way after the pick was announced. Just as many Astros fans were when they "reached" and selected Carlos Correa then took a HS pick with their saving named Lance McCullers.  Worked out for them, and after seeing Leach (who is thick and looks like a freaking bull) and Enlow (who is all arms and legs) it's easy to see what the Twins were projecting in them.

• drjim and DocBauer like this

#9 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 28 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

It's not the arm that's the question at SS, it's the footwork. His arm is above average for SS, he just needs alot of reps on his footwork if he's going to stay in the infield. It's one of those things that his bat is more advanced than his glove at this point and I think it's always going to be that way. Personally, I think if you stick him in the outfield now, there's a real good chance he's ready by 2020 Opening Day to start in CF for the Twins.

I believe the footwork is a mess, but also think that is fixable through enough work/reps/practice if he is willing to put in the work. Glad to hear your first hand accounts on his arm, the scouting reports are more concerned, but he might have enough.

I do agree on the 2020 timeline, but would also think he could move after next season and still make it as an OF.

#10 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

It's not the arm that's the question at SS, it's the footwork.  His arm is above average for SS, he just needs alot of reps on his footwork if he's going to stay in the infield.  It's one of those things that his bat is more advanced than his glove at this point and I think it's always going to be that way.  Personally, I think if you stick him in the outfield now, there's a real good chance he's ready by 2020 Opening Day to start in CF for the Twins.

I am planning on Buxton starting at CF for the Twins until 2025 at least. My plans may change but I will have the hope until it is forced on me.

• jud6312 likes this

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,237 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

Well at least you're honest with your past assessment and many Twins fans felt the same way after the pick was announced. Just as many Astros fans were when they "reached" and selected Carlos Correa then took a HS pick with their saving named Lance McCullers.  Worked out for them, and after seeing Leach (who is thick and looks like a freaking bull) and Enlow (who is all arms and legs) it's easy to see what the Twins were projecting in them.

all true, all of that. That said, McCullers was much higher rated, and they actually had to use their savings to sign him. the Twins didn't apparently need theirs.

Let's hope it works out even close to what has happened for Houston. that would be very nice.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#12 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

I believe the footwork is a mess, but also think that is fixable through enough work/reps/practice if he is willing to put in the work. Glad to hear your first hand accounts on his arm, the scouting reports are more concerned, but he might have enough.

I do agree on the 2020 timeline, but would also think he could move after next season and still make it as an OF.

Oh, work ethic is NOT a question with the kid, he's the first one on field and he's the last one off the field.  I'm sure they'll have him working with Perlozzo in instructs on footwork daily.  The arm is a 50/55 it's not a Furcal or Dunston but it's no Rick Eckstein either.  My biggest complaint about his fielding is his crowhop when fielding grounders and throwing to first, the arm is strong enough that he doesn't need the extra steps.

• drjim likes this

#13 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 700 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:19 PM

, and after seeing Leach (who is thick and looks like a freaking bull) and Enlow (who is all arms and legs) it's easy to see what the Twins were projecting in them.

Sacamento,

Where is Leach and what is he doing?Any word on actual pitches?Can he Kluber us?

#14 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Oh, work ethic is NOT a question with the kid, he's the first one on field and he's the last one off the field.  I'm sure they'll have him working with Perlozzo in instructs on footwork daily.  The arm is a 50/55 it's not a Furcal or Dunston but it's no Rick Eckstein either.  My biggest complaint about his fielding is his crowhop when fielding grounders and throwing to first, the arm is strong enough that he doesn't need the extra steps.

I wonder where using a crowhop in the infield came from?

Crowhops get you distance on the throw, not necessarily velocity and is natural in the OF, but in the infield that wasn't even a thing that I ever thought about using nor would it ever feel natural to do. It was all about planting and getting a good base to drive the throw toward first when needed. That seems like a pretty big flaw I hope they get fixed quick.

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#15 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

Sacamento,

Where is Leach and what is he doing?Any word on actual pitches?Can he Kluber us?

Leach was on the bench and dressed for today's game, no word on whether tomorrow will be his debut or not but the time frame is about right especially with Graterol getting promoted to Etown.  He has thrown in the pen/side sessions, but physically looking he looks like someone who's 21 not  17.

#16 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

I wonder where using a crowhop in the infield came from?

Crowhops get you distance on the throw, not necessarily velocity and is natural in the OF, but in the infield that wasn't even a thing that I ever thought about using nor would it ever feel natural to do. It was all about planting and getting a good base to drive the throw toward first when needed. That seems like a pretty big flaw I hope they get fixed quick.

He had spent alot of time in the outfield on the circuits, and before playing SS last year he was the 3B for his HS team.  A crowhop maybe not the best words for it but it's definitely a "stutterstep"/extra footwork that isn't needed.  He only does it when he has time fielding a grounder, when it's a hurried play he doesn't incorporate it.

#17 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

I am hoping Lewis, Rooker, and Kiriloff(sp), can give the team something they've been missing: .300 hitters. I have had my fill of power over plate control, and all the whiffs that accompany that.

#18 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 31 July 2017 - 04:58 AM

BJ Garbe had pretty good stats in his debut pro season too. Which suggests there are probably still some questions about Lewis beyond his SS arm. :)  But so far, so good.

Let's hope that Lewis doesn't have night blindness then. Garbe played well in the daytime GCL league and then had to start playing night games.

But really it is a pointless argument since rk ball stats don't mean anything unless you completely flop.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#19 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,590 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:00 AM

Let's hope that Lewis doesn't have night blindness then. Garbe played well in the daytime GCL league and then had to start playing night games.

Garbe actually never played in the GCL. He went straight to Elizabethton where they generally play night games like everyone else.

#20 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 31 July 2017 - 06:07 AM

Garbe actually never played in the GCL. He went straight to Elizabethton where they generally play night games like everyone else.

Doesn't really matter in the greater point. Rk ball stats don't matter much (unless you fail). Garbe had a medical condition.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis