Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: John Ryan Murphy Traded For Intriguing Lefty Reliever

john ryan murphy aaron hicks gabriel moya
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

Good trade. From Rauch for Mulvey to Palka for Herrmann, I cannot remember a trade with the Diamondbacks that actually was not good for the Twins :)

• HitInAPinch and wabene like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#42 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

Good trade. From Rauch for Mulvey to Palka for Herrmann, I cannot remember a trade with the Diamondbacks that actually was not good for the Twins :)

Herrmann had a 1.5 WAR season last year and Palka will likely never have a meaningful mlb career. I wouldn't call that a "good" outcome for the Twins.

• Mike Sixel, Shane Wahl, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,764 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:13 PM

Herrmann had a 1.5 WAR season last year and Palka will likely never have a meaningful mlb career. I wouldn't call that a "good" outcome for the Twins.

I'm with you on that.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#44 spycake

spycake

• 18,402 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

Chad Moeller for Hanley Frias was the other Twins - Arizona trade. I'd say that was neutral outcome for the Twins.

#45 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,761 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:44 PM

Encouraged that they must have some confidence in Garver's defense st catcher. I don't think they would move Murphy otherwise.

As they become sellers it would be nice to see Garver catch a few times a week in the majors.

#46 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,244 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

I like it.
I'm not normally a fan of trading assets for relievers - even good ones.
But I also don't consider Murphy much of an asset.

#47 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,053 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

How in the hell did they pull this off?

• Twins33 likes this

#48 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:50 PM

In chance you have not seen it, the Baseball America take on the trade is here.

From their description of Mora:

"The Diamondbacks signed Moya out of Venezuela in 2012. Five years later, he’s evolved into arguably the most dominant relief prospect in the minors. Moya is on an historic run, having not allowed an earned run since May 2 as Double-A Jackson’s closer. That’s a stretch of 24 appearances and 30.2 innings. The 6-foot, 175-pound lefthander does it with a deceptive low 90s fastball that looks like it pops out of his ear in his delivery and a plus-plus changeup regarded by many as the best in the Southern League this year. He also has a slider and curveball he can mix in to provide a different look, throws strikes and earns raves for his competitiveness. With deception, an out pitch, and a closer mentality, Moya is a perfect 17-for-17 in saves this year and has a chance to be in a big league bullpen shortly."

• Dman, Deduno Abides, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#49 ThejacKmp

ThejacKmp

Wing Commander

• 2,098 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

Let's not selectively use stats. Tell the whole picture.

Chris Hermann has a -0.9 WAR this year and it's only 2/3 over. He's never had a positive WAR season other than last year (when his BABIP was 110 points higher than his career BABIP). My money is on his WAR with Arizona being negative cumulatively, likely by the end of this year. That would make the Twins the winner of the trade. Sometimes not playing a guy is winning.

Edited by ThejacKmp, 27 July 2017 - 05:58 PM.

• Brock Beauchamp, Thrylos, 70charger and 4 others like this

#50 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 7,089 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

1] The Twins have "won" many trades over the years. They've also been "neutral", meaning both teams turned out the same. They've also "lost" some trades. Guess what? So has everyone else.

2] For whatever reason, Murphy regressed tremendously with the Twins offensively, at both the ML and milb level. If Murphy finds himself in AZ, it still doesn't mean, unto itself, that trading a struggling hicks for a young catcher with a solid bat, at the time, was necessarily a mistake. See point #1.

I love this trade no matter what happens. Murphy didn't work here, no matter what he does in the future. So we trade someone who doesn't fit in here for a LHRP that has dynamite numbers, pitchability, at least one plus pitch, and has the potential to be at least a serviceable, solid bullpen piece going forward. There is nothing remotely wrong with this trade.
  • luckylager, Blackjack, Monkeypaws and 3 others like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#51 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:14 PM

The fact that we got anything for Murphy is awesome.  A bag of new baseballs would have been a great get.

• Brock Beauchamp and Twins33 like this

#52 spycake

spycake

• 18,402 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Let's not selectively use stats. Tell the whole picture.

Chris Hermann has a -0.9 WAR this year and it's only 2/3 over. He's never had a positive WAR season other than last year (when his BABIP was 110 points higher than his career BABIP). My money is on his WAR with Arizona being negative cumulatively, likely by the end of this year. That would make the Twins the winner of the trade. Sometimes not playing a guy is winning.

I think he meant it would be, at best, a neutral outcome for the Twins. They could have released him if they wanted. And pending Palka's fate, we could have perhaps used his roster spot better. Again, not saying we lost the trade, but we probably didn't "win" it either.

Edited by spycake, 27 July 2017 - 07:35 PM.

#53 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,951 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:12 PM

This is when JR goes on absolute tear and wins the NL Silver Slugger in 2018, right?

#54 Kwak

Kwak

• 2,939 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

I wonder what AZ sees in Murphy--because the Twins only see "bust".

#55 Rhino and Compass

Rhino and Compass

• 146 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

Just once, I want "intriguing" to mean they solve mysteries and ride a motorcycle

• 70charger likes this

I [heart] to fart

#56 Shaitan

Shaitan

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,625 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:40 PM

There's always a market for a AAAA C or CF.

#57 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• 1,781 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 08:40 PM

At least this time they got someone who strikes out a lot of people, instead of simply getting someone who strikes out a lot.
  • Kwak likes this

#58 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,450 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 09:06 PM

The trade of reference isn't Hermann, it's Butera, for Miguel Sulbaran, who looked pretty intriguing as a 19 year old throwing a 3.0 ERA in A ball. That actually ended up badly.

https://www.cbssport...d-for-25-games/

However, like the idea of the trade anyway. Moya isn't Sulbaran, and who knows? Elite changeup is a real weapon.

• DocBauer likes this

#59 cmoss84

cmoss84

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 575 posts
  • LocationBakersfield, CA

Posted 27 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

Where you play also makes a difference. Much easier to hit in Ari. Much easier to get away with a mistake changeup at Target field.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

#60 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• 5,207 posts

Posted 28 July 2017 - 01:48 AM

I view the trade as a first step in culling the herd.  Falvey and Levine have reviewed both major and minor leagues and are beginning to ship out non-performers and, in this case, acquire a prospect.  Good first move.  Falvey calls it "fluid situation".  IMHO:  tap should be pretty open.

It's not my fault !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john ryan murphy, aaron hicks, gabriel moya