Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: John Ryan Murphy Traded For Intriguing Lefty Reliever

john ryan murphy aaron hicks gabriel moya
  • Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,760 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

Good luck to JRM. It's baffling how he went from a decent hitting C for the Yankees to not being able to hit at all, even in AAA. Next year he was out of options anyway, so I like the move to clear space for Garver. 

If they let Garver catch, and if they ever promote him. 

• h2oface and bighat like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#22 spycake

spycake

• 18,402 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

Moya is leading all AA pitchers in K%, minimum 30 IP. (Drop the minimum to 20, and only Nik Turley bests him :) )

Although I am not sure how well this correlates to future success, for relievers at least.

Edited by spycake, 27 July 2017 - 12:35 PM.

• nicksaviking, KidBro and bighat like this

#23 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 3,706 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

A minor move in a season of minor moves.  Fills a minor league roster, but nothing to be excited about.  Losing Murphy is not a big issue either, of course a 33 year old never going to make the majors guy is not the most exciting fill in for him and we dropped Rohlfing - Again.  The big question is still when Garver comes up.

• h2oface, bighat and D.C Twins like this

#24 spycake

spycake

• 18,402 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Still time for the Twins to activate Perkins and serve up another 3 run HR to Murphy when we play Arizona in August!
  • Mike Sixel, Willihammer, puckstopper1 and 3 others like this

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

I assume Moya also gets added to the 40 this off-season and potentially takes the place of a known name we've followed the last 2-3 years. My prediction? JT Chargois gets the DFA. 

• Mike Sixel and HitInAPinch like this

#26 spycake

spycake

• 18,402 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

I doubt if Moya would be taken as a Rule 5 yet, so the Twins may be lucky there. Still, they have to think about adding him to the 40-man...and he'll need time at AAA.

From AA, you'd think there would be a decent chance of his selection in Rule 5. But then again, there always seem to be a bunch of relievers with big K/9 numbers at AA who don't get picked, or get chosen and then returned. Moya is younger than most, but maybe with less overpowering stuff?

I would expect he would get protected. Maybe even get a look in MLB yet this season. We don't seem to like most of the relief prospects already in our upper minors.

#27 Brandon

Brandon

• 2,179 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

I hope management gives us till thw 31rst before making any sekking trades. We play Oakland who may trade Gray before his next start against us and some other weak team after that. We should be back to .500 if not above after that. If we get swept in Oakland then all bets are off.
  • howieramone2 likes this

#28 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 5,247 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:23 PM

If they let Garver catch, and if they ever promote him. 

Exactly what I was thinking. Every time I look at the boxes, he is either a DH or in left field. Hard to get improvement defensively, it you don't catch.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,898 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

Wow, Moya's got some eye-popping stats in AA. I like this trade as Murphy really isn't needed anymore and is out of options in 2018. Maybe we could see Moya in the majors in 2018 and see if he can translate that K/9 line up here.

#30 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

Love the trade.  

• PseudoSABR likes this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#31 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

And so the book closes on two moves:Hicks for a fringy reliever and the first overall pick in the Rule 5 draft for, well, nothing, as the pick was first traded (for nothing) and the player eventually selected was returned.

And posters want this front office to make MORE deals?

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 31,760 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

And so the book closes on two moves:Hicks for a fringy reliever and the first overall pick in the Rule 5 draft for, well, nothing, as the pick was first traded (for nothing) and the player eventually selected was returned.

they didn't trade Hicks away. The question was what to do with Murphy, and they turned a guy they didn't like into a lottery ticket RP. Good move.

I have no defense of the Haley moves.

• 70charger, Danchat and D.C Twins like this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#33 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Offseason Hawt Taek Enthusiast

• 13,929 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:02 PM

Huh? Hicks was traded by the regime who was fired. Falvey and Levine cleaned up that mess and got what they could... 

Have you checked out the 1st overall pick in the rule 5 draft's stats? 6.82 ERA and 6.35 FIP in 30 innings. The rule 5 draft is much ado about nothing these days. 

• Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, SwainZag and 8 others like this

#34 spanman2

spanman2

• 302 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

Still time for the Twins to activate Perkins and serve up another 3 run HR to Murphy when we play Arizona in August!

IALTO!

I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#35 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is regressing to the mean

• 2,070 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:16 PM

Is this sarcasm?

I don't think we will know for sure for another year or two (when Murphy makes his first all-star game appearance while Moya is serving up BP coming out of the Twins' bullpen.) (Yes, THAT was sarcasm.I hope.) 

• King likes this

#36 gman

gman

Ft Myers Miracle

• 252 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

I like the thinking behind the trade. Moya may or may not work out, but I would prefer to trade most of our Triple A roster into possibilties instead of space filler.

On the Twins fielding calls note, how do they know? I'm sure most suspect they would be, but is somebody in the front office really talking about potential trades before anything concrete gets done?

• Mike Sixel likes this

#37 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,680 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

I hope management gives us till thw 31rst before making any sekking trades. We play Oakland who may trade Gray before his next start against us and some other weak team after that. We should be back to .500 if not above after that. If we get swept in Oakland then all bets are off.

.500 may not cut it for contention anymore or even a shot at the wildcard. Of course, it makes the Twins a more viable thing to visit (i.e. ticket sales). That is the MAIN concern about the front office overall. Keeping the attendance momentum going past the State Fair. If I was the Twins, I would be thinking hard about making a HUGE splash at the Minnesota State Fair...dragging out former Twins, having appearances by current ones (especially if they are here on the disabled list for sure) doing a nice big screen with "great play" loops, promotional handouts showcasing the current crop of future Twins as well as guys of the future. Anything but the garage remainder sale of jerseys for folks who no longer play for the Twins. Be nice if they could jsut set up a nice dollar dog stand, but that raises other issues, I guess.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com

#38 70charger

70charger

• 4,770 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

This year at AA Jackson, he is 4-1 with a 0.82 ERA in 34 outings. In 43.2 innings, he has issued just 12 walks and struck out 68 batters.

I know we shouldn't just scout stat lines, but ...

b8046fdab2683ce750caafab93bb8964--friday

• Oldgoat_MN, SwainZag, PseudoSABR and 3 others like this

#39 John Kelsey

John Kelsey

Puerto Rico Joe

• Twins Daily Contributor
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:47 PM

Exactly what I was thinking. Every time I look at the boxes, he is either a DH or in left field. Hard to get improvement defensively, it you don't catch.

He's started 51 games at catcher, 4 at first base, and 14 in left field. 

• SwainZag, drjim, Danchat and 2 others like this

#40 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

To succeed in the post season the Twins do not need to beat Oakland.They will need to beat the likes of the Astros, Red Sox and Dodgers.And they have proven that they cannot win a series against those teams, neither at home nor on the road.

The Twins are 20-30 against opponents with winning record.Even if they beat another horrible team this will not make them contenders.

• Oldgoat_MN, Dman and D.C Twins like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john ryan murphy, aaron hicks, gabriel moya