Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins 2, Dodgers 6: Twins Fall Below .500

joe mauer zack granite paul molitor jose berrios alan busenitz
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,350 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:35 AM

Twins have the bases loaded, the look on the Twins batter is one of pressure, and they act like they are really on the hotseat.

Twins pitchers load the bases, their look is of being under pressure and they strain to make the perfect pitch.

In other words, Twins look terrible on offense and on the mound, not making plays at the biggest moments of the game.

Imminent collapse.

We can hope that this is just youth. Young players on the big stage in front of tens of thousands will naturally get a little amped up in those situations. For some, that might bring out their best; for others (especially Berrios, I think) it causes them to move away from the things that make them successful. 

If this is still happening in a couple of years, we can call them chokers. For now, I'd rather just think of them as young and learning.

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:39 AM

No surprise to read Molitor bashers using this as ammunition. I wish the umpire had to talk about what happened. WE got the confused explanation from Roberts, and I thought a pretty clear explanation from Molitor. I thought the umpires handled it horribly. 

So, you think Molitor did nothing wrong? That everyone else was wrong?

• wsnydes likes this

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#23 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,286 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

No surprise to read Molitor bashers using this as ammunition. I wish the umpire had to talk about what happened. WE got the confused explanation from Roberts, and I thought a pretty clear explanation from Molitor. I thought the umpires handled it horribly.

Please explain how the umpires "handled it horribly."

Specifically.
  • Mike Sixel and wsnydes like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#24 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,286 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:43 AM

We can hope that this is just youth. Young players on the big stage in front of tens of thousands will naturally get a little amped up in those situations. For some, that might bring out their best; for others (especially Berrios, I think) it causes them to move away from the things that make them successful.

If this is still happening in a couple of years, we can call them chokers. For now, I'd rather just think of them as young and learning.

Young players like Bellinger?
  • pbrezeasap likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#25 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• 2,947 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

How should they have handled then? 

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:46 AM

Young players like Bellinger?

"you can't expect them all to be Mike Trout"......or Bellinger, or Machado, or Seager, or about 20 other young players. I'm so tired of "they are young" as an excuse all the time.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 26 July 2017 - 08:46 AM.

• h2oface and jimmer like this

#27 bizaff

bizaff

• 67 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

Dick Bremer tweeted out, "Video shows Lance Barrett looking at Paul Molitor's adjusted lineup card. Seems inexcusable for the umpire to misunderstand intended move."

Molitor said in the post-game his card was marked right.

The only two conclusions I can come to are that the umpire screwed up, or Molitor is lying about his lineup card.I highly doubt Molitor is lying.

#28 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 11,519 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

The umps did lose control of the game.

Re-entry? Since when?
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#29 gocgo

gocgo

• 1,606 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Let's panic...seems like the right thing to do.  This is the toughest part of our schedule which gets much better after this road trip while Cleveland's schedule gets much tougher.  The Dodgers are good.  They rarely swing at borderline pitches outside of the zone.  They are very good at getting into predictable counts and hitting their pitch.  We can learn from this and get better.  

• pbrezeasap and Dantes929 like this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Dick Bremer tweeted out, "Video shows Lance Barrett looking at Paul Molitor's adjusted lineup card. Seems inexcusable for the umpire to misunderstand intended move."

The only two conclusions I can come to are that the umpire screwed up, or Molitor is lying about his lineup card.I highly doubt Molitor is lying.

Certainly possible. I have no idea.

#31 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,861 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:13 AM

Or that what Molitor's lineup card said was different than what he was telling the umpire.

Or that Molitor didn't understand that his lineup card was marked wrong.

The umpire could have blown it, we don't really know what happened. But it seems like a huge coincidence that a screwup of this magnitude occurred with an AL team.

Not that this is something that I'd put any weight on when deciding Molitor's future, I don't care about an honest mistake. It happens.

• bizaff likes this

#32 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,653 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

Concur 100% with implementing pitch clocks. It works out so smoothly in AAA and AA from the games I've attended. 

Admittedly I did not watch the game last night as it was past my bedtime, so maybe Maeda was working slower than usual?

Fangraphs has a neat feature called Pace Calculator and I hate to break it to everyone, but Maeda is not close to the worst out there.... In fact, the Twins now have 3 pitchers in the top 25 slowest paced SP! Jaime Garcia #12 at 25.7 seconds between pitches, Kyle Gibson #14 at 25.4 seconds, and Jose Berrios #23 at 24.8 seconds. 

When I was watching, Morris was calling out the time between pitches.  Mauer's walk took forever. Once, Maeda stepped off the rubber and Morris said it was 48 seconds that he was staring in and then didn't even pitch the ball. All of them seemed to take well over 30 seconds. Problem with taking over 30 seconds is that if a batter doesn't lose patience he will probably call timeout himself so he can go through his routine again and who can blame him?  Maybe Maeda was slower than normal. Gibson on the list doesn't shock me but I am a bit surprised that Berrios is on the list.

• Vanimal46 likes this
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#33 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,282 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

In the standings section, are you trying to show how far the Tigers and White Sox are behind the Twins? Because the Tigers are indeed 4 back of us, 8.5 of the Indians, but the Sox are 9 back of the Twins, 13.5 of the Indians.

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,694 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

All we have to go on is Molitor's word, and I have no reason to believe he's making something up. We haven't heard from the ump or the league. We haven't heard any audio from that conversation. Until we know what was said specifically. 

It was just such an obvious double-switch that it's hard to understand how it went so strange. 

• Tom Froemming likes this

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,694 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

Please explain how the umpires "handled it horribly."

Specifically.

If Molitor told the ump Belisle for Rosario, and yet the ump doesn't notice that Pressly is coming in that Polanco and not Rosario is coming out... something weird happened. No one appears to be innocent in this. Guilt can go all around. 

#36 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• 2,282 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 09:56 AM

As for the double switch controversy, let's just add the DH to the NL. Problem solved.

For pace of play, give the pitcher 20 seconds from gloving the ball to throwing the pitch, so long as the batter is also in the box. Allow a batter one timeout per AB, and prohibit him from stepping out of the box in between pitches. Limit catchers to three mound visits per game, with a 30 second limit. Starters are limited to one trip from a pitching coach, relievers as a whole get one visit from the pitching coach. Failure by the batter to observe the rules is a strike, failure by the pitcher to observe the rules is a ball, and an extra visit by a catcher or coach is an automatic walk where every base runner advances a base. If the bases are empty, it's a two-base walk, to ensure visits aren't used as intentional walks.
  • pbrezeasap, Danchat and Vanimal46 like this

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,822 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

When I was watching, Morris was calling out the time between pitches.  Mauer's walk took forever. Once, Maeda stepped off the rubber and Morris said it was 48 seconds that he was staring in and then didn't even pitch the ball. All of them seemed to take well over 30 seconds. Problem with taking over 30 seconds is that if a batter doesn't lose patience he will probably call timeout himself so he can go through his routine again and who can blame him?  Maybe Maeda was slower than normal. Gibson on the list doesn't shock me but I am a bit surprised that Berrios is on the list.

If that's the case, then yeah, that's way too long between pitches. It seems like every year MLB tries to emphasize improving pace of play, but never truly enforce it. 

EDIT: Also, at first I didn't see Maeda on the Fangraphs' Pace list, but there he is tucked in at #20 with 25 seconds between pitches. So he also works at a slow pace normally. 

Edited by Vanimal46, 26 July 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#38 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

"you can't expect them all to be Mike Trout"......or Bellinger, or Machado, or Seager, or about 20 other young players. I'm so tired of "they are young" as an excuse all the time.

Does Sano make your list?

Papers...business papers.

#39 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,513 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Does Sano make your list?

yes, for sure.

#40 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• 1,750 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

I'm going to be that ass hole guy and say I TOLD YOU WE SHOULD HAVE BEEN SELLERS.There is still time to get on the seller bandwagon.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: joe mauer, zack granite, paul molitor, jose berrios, alan busenitz