Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

MLB.com midseason prospect list

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

This along with Hughes' recent development have me pretty skeptical about the TOS surgery. How close was Jay to actually going through with the procedure I wonder. Because it certainly seems like there's a high likelihood of it being a career-ender.

What did pitchers with this ailment do before this procedure became available? Were their careers over? Did they recover in some way? Ugh, I'm no surgeon or pitcher, but I'm not comfortable with this thing. I have no reason to think everyone isn't doing their due diligence, but I sure hope they figure out a different way to treat this thing and this surgery is just a short lived remedy du jour.

Shoulders were almost always career enders. Medicine isn't going backwards here, it is giving shots to pitchers that would otherwise be done.

• MN_ExPat likes this
Papers...business papers.

#22 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 979 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

Rooker is already kind of old and that makes it hard for him to beat projections.  He pretty much is what he is so I am not surprised he isn't on lists.  Doesn't mean he won't do or be better than a lot of the guys ahead of him but prospect lists seem more about projection than production. Younger guys with tools to dream on typically do better at least to start.

• bluechipper likes this

#23 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:11 AM

Anyone else get a laugh out of Romero's picture? 

#24 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:18 AM

Anyone else get a laugh out of Romero's picture?

Curtiss and Reed too

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#25 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

Curtiss and Reed too

I think they'd be behind Wander in line for retakes.

• Willihammer likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#26 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,196 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:17 PM

Nice ranking. Garver comes into the year at #15, hits pretty well at AAA for a catcher posting an OPS over .900, and drops to #21. Seems like a solid system.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel, brvama and 8 others like this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

Nice ranking. Garver comes into the year at #15, hits pretty well at AAA for a catcher posting an OPS over .900, and drops to #21. Seems like a solid system.

I don't get what is going on with Garver at all. He's better in AAA, and he has position flexibility now, and he's not a top 20 prospect? The Twins must be loaded!

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, brvama and 4 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#28 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,180 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

That was the report a few weeks ago. There was a new report in the last week that now they think it's just a shoulder impingement again and he's going to try to pitch again.

Dang, this isn't thrilling news. He's already lost a full season of development basically. I understand surgery is usually the last thing anyone wants to do, but I'm concerned that this could result in 2 lost seasons for him. Given the Twins' history of holding off on surgery only to require that same surgery 5-6 months later. 

#29 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

The off season 40 & 50 rank should be interesting. Graterol rank as #12 with only 30 career innings pitched speaks loudly of his stuff.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and bluechipper like this

#30 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,771 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

Few interesting things:

- Gordon is listed as a SS/2B for the first time in those lists

- For the first time ever a national prospect list has a brand new IFA signee right after he signed (Jelfry Marte)

- Finally, Javier, Diaz, and Graterol get the love they deserve (albeit not as much as they do) outside Twins' Territory, while other IFAs like Palacios, Rainis Silva, and Arraez getting snubbed

- Baddoooooooo, should likely be in this list ahead of some people

- Jorge, Jay, and Stewart at 7-8-9.Really?

- Rortvedt who cannot hit his way out of a paper bag ahead of Garver (and Silva?)

- Other than that, it is what it is. Interesting to see the 1-1 draft pick ranked as the 3rd best prospect of this draft.

• rghrbek likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#31 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 25 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

Few interesting things:

- For the first time ever a national prospect list has a brand new IFA signee right after he signed (Jelfry Marte)

- Finally, Javier, Diaz, and Graterol get the love they deserve (albeit not as much as they do) outside Twins' Territory, while other IFAs like Palacios, Rainis Silva, and Arraez getting snubbed

- Rortvedt who cannot hit his way out of a paper bag ahead of Garver (and Silva?)

- Other than that, it is what it is. Interesting to see the 1-1 draft pick ranked as the 3rd best prospect of this draft.

Why would Silva be in the top 30?

Rortvedt is hitting better at Cedar Rapids as a 19 year old than Silva did as a 20 year old last year. 

• birdwatcher, bluechipper and MN_ExPat like this

#32 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hey Seth- Why does Palacios not get more attention?  His offense seems really solid but his k/bb rate is about 4 to 1 and that is pretty bad.  With the rest of his numbers as solid as they are, it seems that scouts may think that he won't be able to fix that.  What is your take?  Is he a poor defender?  

He probably should get talked about more. He just took the GCL and ETown by storm in 2015, and then completely did nothing in 2016 and got hurt. Kind of disappeared from a prospect standpoint.

He's not going to walk a lot, but he's got a pretty good idea of the strike zone. He can hit. He's not big, but he's strong and has some pop in his bat. He's definitely going to move up lists, and should. His defense is fine.

• Mike Sixel, beckmt, bluechipper and 1 other like this

#33 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

The off season 40 & 50 rank should be interesting. Graterol rank as #12 with only 30 career innings pitched speaks loudly of his stuff.

Mayo and I spent a long time chatting about Graterol. I told him when I put him at like #14 after last season, I got beat up in the comments.His reports and my reports lined up pretty well to create would could be a really, really good pitcher. Now time will tell. 

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor, bluechipper and 1 other like this

#34 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

How many 22 year-oid lefties can throw 96-98?  Also, at one time he was reported to have the best slider in the organization. If he was healthy, 8 would be too low.

But he is not healthy and if my memory is correct he has potentially career ending surgery.  

Today he is a bullpen arm who may never pitch again.  

• Mike Sixel likes this

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 01:07 PM

Few interesting things:

I'm 100% with you on Javier, Diaz and Graterol... And Palacios and probably Arraez...

But I gotta ask why so high on Rainis Silva?? I was kind of surprised he wasn't released before the short-seasons started... 

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,251 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

That was the report a few weeks ago. There was a new report in the last week that now they think it's just a shoulder impingement again and he's going to try to pitch again.

I missed that one too. Do you have a link?

#37 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:00 PM

But I gotta ask why so high on Rainis Silva?? I was kind of surprised he wasn't released before the short-seasons started... 

Silva's glove and game calling is at or close to MLB-ready.His bat has been the issue.For that reason I had him at 32 in my offseason list, down from 21 the season before.From that writeup:

Why is Rainis Silva even in the list, no matter how good his fielding is, since he has no power and he is hitting so lightly?First of all he is still 20 years old.Secondly, he actually hits LHP very well now and he improved.Here are his OPS against LHP by year and league: .539 in DSL in 2013, .521 in the GCL in 2014, .940 in Elizabethton and .889 in Cedar Rapids in 2015, and .754 in Cedar Rapids in 2016.So something clicked for him in 2015 and continued to work in 2016.Those OPS numbers are more than acceptable for a catcher, albeit in a platoon if necessary.The hope is that something will click for the 20 year old when facing RHPs as well and reach his potential as solid every day bat with elite defense in the C position, otherwise his ceiling would be that of a platoon player.

So far this season he is hitting .326/.434/.442 overall as a 20 year old inE-town (along with tossing about half of the would be base stealers out.)I think that his potential is a solid MLB bat with elite defense in the majors in the catcher position.This is at the Yadier Molina (career .737 OPS, 98 OPS+) level. Still not close in thinking about my off-season list (I wait for trades etc, until a month or so before ST) but, if he continues, he will definitely receive top 10 consideration.I know that he has been flying way under the radar, but has been on my list the last 3-4 seasons...

Edited by Thrylos, 25 July 2017 - 06:01 PM.

• Deduno Abides likes this
-----

#38 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,771 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

Why would Silva be in the top 30?

Rortvedt is hitting better at Cedar Rapids as a 19 year old than Silva did as a 20 year old last year. 

Past performance is a worse indicator for prospect future performance than current performance ;)

Check my full reply above.

Edited by Thrylos, 25 July 2017 - 06:15 PM.

-----

#39 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

When are prospect rankings based on performance.

I could do a major league readiness listing.

1.) Mitch Garver

2.) Matt Hague

3.) Kennys Vargas

4.) John Curtiss

5.) Drew Rucinski

6.) Tommy Field

7.) JB Shuck

8.) Stephen Gonsalves

9.) Byungho Park

10.) Fernando Romero

Note... that isn't an actual list... but a quick look at most MLB ready in the Twins system.

That is a wonderful response.  Thank you.  This is something I have been thinking about a long time and I hope you do a full posting with notes on this topice - you are our source.

#40 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:04 PM

It's only 4, unless I missed someone.

Rooker doesn't even seem close to making the Top 100 at this point. He's only listed at 14 among Twins prospects.

That surprises me too. 

• bluechipper likes this