Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

MLB.com midseason prospect list

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,001 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:32 PM

Top 100

Twins top 30

• Oldgoat_MN, Ben Noble, dbminn and 1 other like this

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,544 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

Pretty high on Gonsalves and Romero.
  • bluechipper likes this
Papers...business papers.

#3 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

Surprised that Aaron Whitefield wasn't mentioned, but maybe he is just a personal favorite.

• 70charger, dbminn and Huddy like this

#4 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:15 AM

Nice to see Andrew Bechtold already mentioned.

I hope he moves up fast.  

Have to wonder why Tyler Jay would be 8.  He should be in the 20's

• Mike Sixel likes this

#5 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

Nice to see five twins in the 100 but a little surprised that Rooker did not get in the list.  

Considering Granite's season I am surprised to see him so low on the Twins list.  I might have jumped 13 - 16 up to the 5 - 8 slot.

What I would love to see, but do not know how to find it is a list for MLB and the Twins that puts them in order of their MLB readiness.  For example I keep reading about Wander Javier but I know he is not anywhere near getting ready for a call up - who is.  Based on what I have read here, not what I have seen myself, I would think it would be

• Granite
  • Hildenberger
  • Gonsalves
  • Curtiss
  • Palka
  • Gordon
  • Romero
  • Chargois
  • Rosario

Players like Kiriloff are there on reputation and hope not performance.

• Oldgoat_MN and MN_ExPat like this

#6 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

I hope he moves up fast.  

I talked to Jonathan Mayo a few days before he posted the Twins Top 30, and he told me that he's very high on Bechtold. 

• bluechipper, MN_ExPat and Respy like this

#7 Yoke

Yoke

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

Surprised that Aaron Whitefield wasn't mentioned, but maybe he is just a personal favorite.

I would have thought he'd be in the top 30. Maybe if he keeps it up next year he will make some lists. Seems like he has a lot of talent.

• bluechipper likes this

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,259 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

Nice to see five twins in the 100 but a little surprised that Rooker did not get in the list.  

Considering Granite's season I am surprised to see him so low on the Twins list.  I might have jumped 13 - 16 up to the 5 - 8 slot.

What I would love to see, but do not know how to find it is a list for MLB and the Twins that puts them in order of their MLB readiness.  For example I keep reading about Wander Javier but I know he is not anywhere near getting ready for a call up - who is.  Based on what I have read here, not what I have seen myself, I would think it would be

• Granite
  • Hildenberger
  • Gonsalves
  • Curtiss
  • Palka
  • Gordon
  • Romero
  • Chargois
  • Rosario

Players like Kiriloff are there on reputation and hope not performance.

When are prospect rankings based on performance.

I could do a major league readiness listing.

1.) Mitch Garver

2.) Matt Hague

3.) Kennys Vargas

4.) John Curtiss

5.) Drew Rucinski

6.) Tommy Field

7.) JB Shuck

8.) Stephen Gonsalves

9.) Byungho Park

10.) Fernando Romero

Note... that isn't an actual list... but a quick look at most MLB ready in the Twins system.

• DJSim22, Oldgoat_MN, mikelink45 and 3 others like this

#9 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Nice to see MLB.com coming around to Romero as a legit prospect. He certainly deserves a spot in the top 100. As far as the Twins top 30 I mostly agree but would put Tyler Wells in anywhere from 25-30. I am guessing his injury leaves him out.
  • bluechipper and 108Stitches like this

#10 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• Members
  • 863 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

I hope he moves up fast.  

How many 22 year-oid lefties can throw 96-98?  Also, at one time he was reported to have the best slider in the organization. If he was healthy, 8 would be too low.

• birdwatcher, gunnarthor and MN_ExPat like this

Terry Ryan had nothing to do with the resurgence of our favorite team. All of our future stars were dropped by a stork on Target Field.

#11 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:42 AM

Fairly surprised that Miranda & Baddoo didnt crack the Twins top 30 and iirc both actually dropped off from the previous Twins list
  • birdwatcher, gunnarthor, Oxtung and 3 others like this

#12 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:45 AM

How many 22 year-oid lefties can throw 96-98?  Also, at one time he was reported to have the best slider in the organization. If he was healthy, 8 would be too low.

He's a reliever, and an injury-riddled one at that. That's going to suppress his ranking a little bit unless he's just utterly dominant and rocketing towards the majors.

It sounds like they're still trying to work out exactly what his current issue is too, which doesn't inspire confidence. He had bicep tendinitis, then a mysterious nerve/shoulder impingement, then they thought it was TOS and needed surgery, and now a few weeks later it's totally not TOS and he's going to try and pitch through it. Sounds like they aren't really sure what's going on either. Fingers crossed.

#13 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 313 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

Hey Seth- Why does Palacios not get more attention?  His offense seems really solid but his k/bb rate is about 4 to 1 and that is pretty bad.  With the rest of his numbers as solid as they are, it seems that scouts may think that he won't be able to fix that.  What is your take?  Is he a poor defender?  

#14 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,180 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:10 AM

He's a reliever, and an injury-riddled one at that. That's going to suppress his ranking a little bit unless he's just utterly dominant and rocketing towards the majors.

It sounds like they're still trying to work out exactly what his current issue is too, which doesn't inspire confidence. He had bicep tendinitis, then a mysterious nerve/shoulder impingement, then they thought it was TOS and needed surgery, and now a few weeks later it's totally not TOS and he's going to try and pitch through it. Sounds like they aren't really sure what's going on either. Fingers crossed.

Wait, I thought Jay was shut down for the year to get the TOS surgery. Now he isn't getting that surgery?

#15 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,067 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Fairly surprised that Miranda & Baddoo didnt crack the Twins top 30 and iirc both actually dropped off from the previous Twins list

Fangraph's prospect guy thinks Badoo could crack a top 100 list next year sometime, if his power shows IN GAME the rest of this year.....

• bluechipper likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#16 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

I sure hope Lewis Thorpe isn't as far away from ever being an MLB player as this list suggests.

Also, I expect to see Luis Arraez on this list next year. 

• Twins33, nicksaviking, bluechipper and 1 other like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#17 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 770 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:36 AM

Wait, I thought Jay was shut down for the year to get the TOS surgery. Now he isn't getting that surgery?

That was the report a few weeks ago. There was a new report in the last week that now they think it's just a shoulder impingement again and he's going to try to pitch again.

#18 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

Good to see some respect for Gonsalves and Romero.

#19 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,074 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 10:47 AM

It's only 4, unless I missed someone.

Rooker doesn't even seem close to making the Top 100 at this point. He's only listed at 14 among Twins prospects.

• Seth Stohs, birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and 1 other like this

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,824 posts

Posted 25 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

This along with Hughes' recent development have me pretty skeptical about the TOS surgery. How close was Jay to actually going through with the procedure I wonder. Because it certainly seems like there's a high likelihood of it being a career-ender.

What did pitchers with this ailment do before this procedure became available? Were their careers over? Did they recover in some way? Ugh, I'm no surgeon or pitcher, but I'm not comfortable with this thing. I have no reason to think everyone isn't doing their due diligence, but I sure hope they figure out a different way to treat this thing and this surgery is just a short lived remedy du jour.

• Oldgoat_MN and MN_ExPat like this