Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/23): Slegers Continues Strong Streak

aaron slegers mitch garver akil baddoo caleb hamilton clark beeker
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

It behooves the Twins to start getting an idea on how many legitimate options we have for next years rotation. We have 3 locks in Santana, Berrios, and Mejia. Santiago is probably gone, and we shouldn't count on Hughes being able to ever start again. That leaves Gibson, Slegers, Jorge, Gonsalves, and Romero as guys who could potentially contribute next year. I think it makes sense to start finding out if the potential is real or not, rather than experiment with a bunch of has-beens, and never-weres.

I don't think Jorge, Gonsalves and Romero fit into that category. What they would do the remainder of this year shouldn't indicate if the 'potential is real.' I get it with Slegers because he's 24 and in AAA. But Romero, Gonsalves, Jorge, they're all in AA, young, full of potential. Those guys should be brought up when they're ready... not to fulfill some timeline.

• Deduno Abides likes this

#22 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Of course.  Thats whats makes watching prospects fun.  But until the last month or so, there has been no reason to think Slegers will be that guy.  Until recently he has given up too many hits and too many walks.   

He's always had tremendous control, particularly for a guy with that height.  He's always been a 'guy.' I mean, he was a 5th round pick, not a 25th rounder. There's always been a feeling that he "could" get to the big leagues. He's been a guy who's moved up one year at a time, and always done alright. He's improved too, that's a big thing. 

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:03 AM

By the way... Alan Busenitz recalled to take Craig  Breslow's spot. 

• gunnarthor and clutterheart like this

#24 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

(admittedly, I love this stuff. I swear, didn't Billy Martin and Stevie Palermo get into it before a game once and then the anthem started playing, so they stopped the fight, stood quietly next to each other with hats over their hearts until the anthem was over, and then got right back into screaming at each other.)

I've heard that story probably a dozen times. No idea if it's true but I want it to be true.

#25 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,067 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

He's strung enough of these types of starts together to make you wonder if he has potential. Given how bad the rotation is, I wouldn't be surprised if he got called up once the Colon experiment is done for good. 

BTW, for the record he's 6-10. He's another one of those really tall long armed guys in the Alex Meyer mold that we tend to get a bit scared of.

With the long arms creating leverage it would seem like the tall pitchers would fall into the Randy Johnson/Alex Meyer high velocity but wild category, but then you have the Chris Youngs, Mark Hendricksons and Doug Fisters who seemingly defy physics and don't throw hard and do have good command. Slegers definately looks like the Chris Young type.

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,067 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:40 PM

I didn't realize that Steve Singleton was the Ft Myers bench coach. I assume that's the same Steve Singleton that played MiLB ball for the Twins last decade?

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,713 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 July 2017 - 12:44 PM

I've heard that story probably a dozen times. No idea if it's true but I want it to be true.

Not quite the same, but I remember this:

• ashburyjohn and gunnarthor like this
Papers...business papers.

#28 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,346 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:22 PM

I didn't realize that Steve Singleton was the Ft Myers bench coach. I assume that's the same Steve Singleton that played MiLB ball for the Twins last decade?

He coached in the GCL last year. Since he retired, he's coached some in junior college and such. 

• nicksaviking likes this

#29 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:06 PM

Yabba Da Baddoo!

#30 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Rochester Plates

• Members
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:10 PM

Slegers is requiring attention. Sometimes tall pitchers get screwed up by their coaches trying to get them to emphasize their height and work on a downward plane, instead of telling them to just go pitch with whatever works for them. Perhaps Flavor Lev are changing some of the minor league pitching instruction? Maybe Stewart will be next to step up?

#31 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,452 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 04:13 PM

Question: Has he ever pitched for an extended period in the major leagues? If he hasn't, what is the basis for declaring that he can't "pitch successfully?"

Probably wrong of him to say it declaratively, but the fact is that you can't give every minor leaguer a shot at mlb. Some guys you are going to have to judge on stuff and profile.
Soft tossers that struggle to k 6 per 9 are likely going to profile as depth AAAA arms, regardless of how good their ERA is.
That doesn't mean a guy like that can't get a shot someday and have his moments. Scott Diamond did it. But, no, he'll never be a legit prospect, IMO.
  • Taildragger8791 likes this

#32 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,713 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

Garcia trade really makes it unlikely Slegers gets a mlb start this year.
Papers...business papers.

#33 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,052 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

Garcia trade really makes it unlikely Slegers gets a mlb start this year.

I like Slegers as much as the next guy (I adopted him, after all) but if the Twins are somehow still in contention then I don't especially want him getting starts. If the team has fallen out of it, they'll work one or two rookie starters in - let some tired arms have some rest.

• 70charger likes this

My New Year's resolution: finish what I star

#34 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Sure, Slegers can be considered a prospect.  But he's a Justin Haley type prospect, which doesn't necessarily mean much to the Twins, unfortunately.

At this point, we certainly don't know how good he could be. But 24, decent stuff and control, he's worth taking a harder look at. Someone mentioned body of work, not the month of July. And I agree with that. But to succeed the way he has thus far in his introduction to AAA, plus the bug month plus, would seem to indicate improvement to me. And improvement in a player as he advances to a higher level always makes me want to look closer at him.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aaron slegers, mitch garver, akil baddoo, caleb hamilton, clark beeker