Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Which pitcher gets sent down to Rochester today?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:01 AM

Anthony Swarzak is expected to be activated from the Disabled List in time for Friday's game. Since the Twins play this afternoon and don't play tomorrow, the "other" half of that move could happen as soon as the end of today's game. So, who do you think that the Twins will send down to Rochester?

Luis Perdomo?
Jeff Manship?
One of the starters?
Maybe whichever one gets into today's game?
Maybe someone else will get hurt today?

What are your thoughts?

#2 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:04 AM

Forget Rochester, Jeff Gray should just be cut.

#3 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,443 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:06 AM

Perdomo, Manship probably saved his spot by doing a respectable job cleaning up the Devries mess. I also wish Gray would just get booted too however.

#4 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Assistant to the General Manager

• Members
  • 2,283 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Maybe this is Devries' final audition. If his ERA balloons over 5, send him down and put Swarzak in his spot.

Should'a gone fishing

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,556 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:26 AM

Let's look at the numbers of Gray and the 4 most recent bullpen call-ups from Rochester:

Manship : 9.16 ERA, 1.875 WHIP, 4.8 K/9, 1.43 K/BB
Perdomo : 1.50 ERA, 2.000 WHIP, 4.5 K/9, 0.43 K/BB

Gray: 5.05 ERA, 1.489 WHIP, 4.5 K/9, 1.1 K/BB

Fien: 1.59 ERA, 1.118 WHIP, 7.4 K/9, 2.8 K/BB
Robertson: 6.59 ERA, 1.390 WHIP, 11.9 K/9, 3.6 K/BB

I hope the last 2 stay. Fien pitched very well (pleasant surprise) and Robertson leads the team in K/9. As far as who goes from the other 3, I suspect that this decision is more about 2013. In other words, if the Twins are not sure that someone could be on the 2013 team he will go. Perdomo like Gray are out of options and need to be DFA'd. Manship will be out of options in 2013 so he will need to be added to the roster. The one of the 3 who the Twins feel fits their plans less in 2013 will be the one that should go. At this point, because Manship, Like Swarzak, is the long man and he has options, unlike the other 2 is more likely to go (and start for the AAA Twins' team)

Edit: Looks like Perdomo has 2 option years left, so if that is true he is game as well...

Edited by Thrylos, 15 August 2012 - 12:39 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:35 AM

All of them?

#7 bronald3030

bronald3030

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:21 PM

Are we going to miss any of them ?

#8 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,883 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Probably Perdomo, second guess would be Manship. If Swarzak is fully healthy, he is the long man instead of Manship, so perhaps Jeff is sent down.

#9 glennhl

glennhl

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Manship looked very good today. 3 innings pitched, 2 strike outs, 1 hit, no walks, no runs. Hope he stays up. I really think the Twins should give him a chance to start.

#10 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Your pitching has died of dysentery."

• Members
  • 6,689 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Jeff Gray making his case by allowing a leadoff double followed by RBI single.

More proof that nobody in this organization has the slightest idea what they're doing...

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,057 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Well... I guess both Manship and Perdomo are heading to Rochester with swarzak being activated.The position player has to be Parmelee... right?

#12 LaBombo

LaBombo

"Your pitching has died of dysentery."

• Members
  • 6,689 posts
  • Location...in a galaxy far, far away...

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Well... I guess both Manship and Perdomo are heading to Rochester with swarzak being activated.The position player has to be Parmelee... right?

More deck chair movement. Too bad for Mansihp (sic). "Nice job out there today, kid. The traveling secretary has your ticket to Rochester".

#13 chavez

chavez

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:09 PM

I wanna see Cole sent down and Liam brought up to man a spot in the rotation for the rest of the year.

#14 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

I agree Chavez. Let's see if we can maybe count on Hendricks for next year. Devries has exceeded expectations, but I just can't see him as a starter for any other team in MLB.

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 03:51 PM

Why not Arcia called up

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:16 PM

Why not Arcia called up

The problem with that is that it will start his clock plus the Rock Cats are in a playoff chase. Parmelee's clock has stated and logically, he will be it. I can also see them DFA someone like Tosoni or Perdomo or Nishioka and giving their spot to someone like Matt Carson (who deserves the call up) but not sure they will do that.
-----

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:24 PM

Maybe this is Devries' final audition. If his ERA balloons over 5, send him down and put Swarzak in his spot.

Yeah after today, Devries should be on the hot seat too.

#18 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

Yeah after today, Devries should be on the hot seat too.

Even after today, De Vries has been the second best starting pitcher for the Twins this season (and still leads the starters in K/9.) He earned a spot in the rotation. So did Deduno. You got to see whether these guys are part of the equation (as number 4 and 5 after Diamond) for 2013. So they got to pitch. Blackburn should be in the hot seat and I don't know how many more times Duensing needs to prove that he is great in the pen but iffy as a starter. Very much Perkins like. I am all for giving Swarzak another chance to start (he did have sporadic success there previously), but Duensing (or Blackburn) should move to the pen instead of demoting the Twins' second best starter.
-----

#19 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,767 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:00 PM

Manship, hope we do not need 2 long relievers, thought DeVires would also be OK with me. It should be Blackburn, but that might wait until next spring to DFA him, or possibily until Gibson is ready next year.
At end of year remove Grey, Robertson, Manship, DeVeries(though he makes a good triple A starter),
Need to do major work for 2 starters. Hendricks looks like Triple A starter to me (no out pitch)

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,020 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

I'd keep Robertson, if for no other reason than that his peripherals indicate he might be getting unlucky... the rest have no buesiness being in a major league pen.