Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/19): Enlow Debuts, Lookouts Launch, Lots of Offense

blayne enlow lamonte wade stephen gonsalves aaron whitefield lewis thorpe
  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

Hey Seth, that just made me think about Kiriloff and where he might slot next year when he returns from TJ. Considering the season he had last year, I wonder if the FO starts him off E-Town to get re-acclimated or Cedar Rapids? 

Of course a great amount would depend on how he responds to the surgery and rehab.

I'd think they'd start him in Cedar Rapids. He should be doing some hitting soon, and by Instructs, he should be full go. So, by next spring, he should be fine.

• glunn likes this

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:11 AM

Nice night for Gonsalves as well as Thorpe. I'd like to see Romero and Gonsalves moved out of AA soon. I know it's not killing them to keep them there but at the same time, they seem to have figured out that level. Let's see them in AAA or (in Romero's case) our bullpen.

I wonder if Garver has some modest trade value - looking at what Buetera and Herrmann got, I think catchers are worth more than we do. If we're going to keep Giminez, why not move Garver for a AA future Mejia? Or move Giminez and bring up Garver.

Miinor league players are almost never traded for other minor league players. There are a lot of theories why, but it is what it is. So, I doubt we'll see Garver moved for a minor league player. Frankly, I'd have him in MN as utility guy/catcher/ph/dh vs lefities. But I have my doubts.

• gunnarthor and rghrbek like this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 17,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

Enlow is the type of pitcher who could move up fast, depending on fastball control. Good to see him get started.

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but what about him indicates that he could move up fast? 

• glunn likes this

#24 Major League Ready

Major League Ready

• Members
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

Nice night for Gonsalves as well as Thorpe. I'd like to see Romero and Gonsalves moved out of AA soon. I know it's not killing them to keep them there but at the same time, they seem to have figured out that level. Let's see them in AAA or (in Romero's case) our bullpen.

I wonder if Garver has some modest trade value - looking at what Buetera and Herrmann got, I think catchers are worth more than we do. If we're going to keep Giminez, why not move Garver for a AA future Mejia? Or move Giminez and bring up Garver.

How much time are they giving Garver in the outfield and how is his defense?If he is serviceable as a 4th outfielder, he would be a nice addition next year as back-up catcher / OFer and RH bat of the bench.Might even consider trading Grossman at the deadline if we received a decent offer. 

• glunn, Mike Sixel, gunnarthor and 1 other like this

#25 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Offense: maybe potent. Pitching: ??

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Mitch Garver's number are not a result of SSS.

His batting average has been on the rise seemingly all season, he has had an OPS of >.800 nearly all season and it currently sits at .915.

As Gimenez is a free agent at the end of the year, I cannot imagine that Garver wouldn't get an opportunity to join the club in September and would be penciled in as the backup catcher next spring.

OTOH, he's not a Falvine acquisition and I continue to wonder how much that plays into the opportunity a player might be given.

• gunnarthor, bluechipper and DocBauer like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Not agreeing or disagreeing, but what about him indicates that he could move up fast?

Blylevan was here at 19, with his main pitch a 12 to 6 curve ball. From what I have read, Enlow has that type of curve ball, so if he can spot the fastball and use the curve ball, he would only need the third pitch to be really effective. That type of pitcher could rise quickly.
  • glunn likes this

#27 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:22 AM

Gonsalves needed a lot of pitches to strike out 8 in 5 2/3 innings.  Thorpe needed far fewer to K 7 in 7.  Just observing.

• glunn and Oldgoat_MN like this

#28 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,998 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

Haley only has 5 days of rehab left, then he will need to be activated...

oh, Gawd, I'd kind of forgotten about him.

That makes me kind of sad.  

Watch them send down anybody but Breslow, Belisle, Pressly, or Buddy.  

That would make me kind of mad.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

oh, Gawd, I'd kind of forgotten about him.

That makes me kind of sad.  

Watch them send down anybody but Breslow, Belisle, Pressly, or Buddy.  

That would make me kind of mad.

You might want to avoid the news next week.....

• David HK likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#30 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,887 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Enlow *still* has a career ERA of 0.00. Call him up already.

That 13.5 K/9 is pretty impressive too.

#31 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2017 - 01:58 PM

Gonsalves needed a lot of pitches to strike out 8 in 5 2/3 innings.  Thorpe needed far fewer to K 7 in 7.  Just observing.

I think there is a lot to this. Gonsalves is a year and a half older too.

If he stays healthy the rest of the year, Thorpe is going to jump up lists. Perhaps the top pitching prospect in the Twins system.

Papers...business papers.

#32 FormerMinnasotan

FormerMinnasotan

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• Members
  • 645 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

I think there is a lot to this. Gonsalves is a year and a half older too.

If he stays healthy the rest of the year, Thorpe is going to jump up lists. Perhaps the top pitching prospect in the Twins system.

I agree. I like Gonsalves and Romero, but a healthy and experienced Lewis Thorpe might be even better than both Gonsalves and Romero.
  • glunn likes this

#33 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

Exciting to see Lewis Thorpe back on the radar again.  Trying to curb my enthusiasm after his last start but at 21 he's still promising if he continues to improve.  How likely do you think he gets called up to Chattanooga next year?

• glunn, Mike Sixel and gunnarthor like this

#34 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2017 - 03:58 PM

Exciting to see Lewis Thorpe back on the radar again.  Trying to curb my enthusiasm after his last start but at 21 he's still promising if he continues to improve.  How likely do you think he gets called up to Chattanooga next year?

If he finishes the season healthy and pitching effectively, would think he almost certainly starts the season at Chattanooga.

• glunn, gunnarthor and beckmt like this
Papers...business papers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blayne enlow, lamonte wade, stephen gonsalves, aaron whitefield, lewis thorpe