Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins v Yankees, 7/18@7:10pm CT (5:10pm PT)

game thread evil empire hawt taeks twins
  • Please log in to reply
452 replies to this topic

#441 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

I remember that Cincinnati at-bat Dick just referenced. It was an incredible performance. 

I don't know that this at-bat will go quite as well.

I mentioned the exact same thing to my parents a minute before Dick did. We were on the same wavelength!

• USAFChief and 70charger like this

#442 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:42 PM

Pinch hitting Escobar for Polanco sort of makes me wonder why Polanco was in the game to begin with.

Edited by Blake, 18 July 2017 - 09:44 PM.

• USAFChief, Jerr, h2oface and 3 others like this

#443 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

I mentioned the exact same thing to my parents a minute before Dick did. We were on the same wavelength!

You're on the same wavelength as Dick Bremer? Seek help, young man, seek help.

• USAFChief and David HK like this

#444 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 21,814 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

I seriously question some front office moves.  There was no reason whatsoever to force another pitcher onto the roster and have a 3 man bench, for example.  None.

I'll give them a pass on Colon, I guess.

You can't put your manager in that position.

• Carole Keller, Blake, Jerr and 1 other like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#445 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

Pinch hitting Escobar for Polance sort of makes me wonder why Polanco was in the game to begin with.

Because Paul Molitor wrote his name on the lineup card. Any further comment risks moderator action.
  • Mike Sixel and David HK like this

#446 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:47 PM

I seriously question some front office moves.  There was no reason whatsoever to force another pitcher onto the roster and have a 3 man bench, for example.  None.

Was it the FO that made the decision or is that a Molitor thing? 

I know the manager has some say in roster makeup and I have to wonder if Molitor, being a Pohlad guy, has enough juice to get what he wants..and if the FO is more than willing to allow Molitor all the rope he needs...

#447 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,276 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

I seriously question some front office moves. There was no reason whatsoever to force another pitcher onto the roster and have a 3 man bench, for example. None.

I suspect the Twins added a pitcher BECAUSE Colon was starting. You can't put your manager in THAT position IMO. I certainly don't give them a pass for it.
  • David HK likes this

#448 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,854 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:50 PM

The Yankees have now won 11 games against the twins since 2015. We've held the lead in 10 of those losses.

Yep.  Yet another typical Twinks/Yanks  matchup.  The names and faces change, but the way this team looks intimidated and wilts in the face of that club never changes.

Methinks they need a bench-clearer or something.  I'm sick of this annual suck-fest.

#449 Blake

Blake

• Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:53 PM

Yep.  Yet another typical Twinks/Yanks  matchup.  The names and faces change, but the way this team looks intimidated and wilts in the face of that club never changes.

Methinks they need a bench-clearer or something.  I'm sick of this annual suck-fest.

I can't even harp on the pitching to much due to all the men left on base. It was incredible. Been a season long problem.

• USAFChief likes this

#450 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• Members
  • 8,734 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Always seems to be a noticeable tightness in the air when we play them. Although that might just be me since I'm surrounded by NY fans and we haven't won a season series against them since wayyyyy back in 2001. The team seemed to pack it in in that fateful 5th

#451 Aggies7

Aggies7

I have 1 warning point

• Members
  • 8,734 posts
  • LocationScranton, Pa

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:05 PM

I seriously question some front office moves. There was no reason whatsoever to force another pitcher onto the roster and have a 3 man bench, for example. None.

IMO, the colon signing was probably made in large part to pump up ticket sales. Twins are 24th in the league, the guy is basically a "must see" considering his age/size. I don't want to be mean and call him a side show, but tonight had that vibe. I don't think it's a coincidence he was brought in to start a home game. And I assume he will be the starter on Sunday, another home game. Just my 2c

Edited by Aggies7, 18 July 2017 - 10:05 PM.

• David HK likes this

#452 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 19,396 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:08 AM

IMO, the colon signing was probably made in large part to pump up ticket sales.

I see the official attendance for his game was 33,114. The previous night's game drew 27,566. I don't know what multiplier the bean-counters use to guess the revenue value of each additional fan, but 5000+ extra fans is nothing to sneeze at. Bartolo maybe brought $150K to the team in one night?

The curiosity factor will fade quickly, though. In that case the team won't recoup the pro-rated major league minimum salary.

If jail and prison are synonymous, why aren't jailer and prisoner?

#453 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,196 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

I see the official attendance for his game was 33,114. The previous night's game drew 27,566. I don't know what multiplier the bean-counters use to guess the revenue value of each additional fan, but 5000+ extra fans is nothing to sneeze at. Bartolo maybe brought $150K to the team in one night?

The curiosity factor will fade quickly, though. In that case the team won't recoup the pro-rated major league minimum salary.

Meh, I don't think you can make that conclusion from one game and comparing it only to one game. Maybe it boosted sales for that one game, as it was a novelty, but the novelty buyers won't buy for the next or the third ... if there is a third. And I don't think players are signed on their ability to sell tickets. I don't think that has a consistent result. Winning sells tickets consistently.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: game thread, evil empire, hawt taeks, twins