Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Automate the Strike Zone

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,800 posts
  • LocationSaturn's atmosphere and on Titan

Posted 30 July 2017 - 10:50 AM

Should probably eliminate the other mistake-prone human elements as well. Start here.

http://www.masterpit...ching-machines/

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#22 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:12 AM

Should probably eliminate the other mistake-prone human elements as well. Start here.

http://www.masterpit...ching-machines/

Mistakes by officials is an artificial human element in the first place though.
The game is played by the players. There SHOULD be mistakes from them, that is the whole point.
The officials are only there to make sure the players follow the rules. Mistakes by them should NOT be a natural part of the game.
Its something you live with, if you have to, unless technology allows you to not have to.
  • Mike Sixel, bizaff, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#23 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

Perhaps even more democratic, we could crowdsource the calling of balls and strikes, so fans can determine the outcomes directly from the comfort of their own homes. :)

The technology exists, so it must be progress to use it.

Edited by Craig Arko, 30 July 2017 - 11:22 AM.

• USAFChief likes this

"Insanity is relative. It depends on who has who locked in what cage." - Ray Bradbury

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,468 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:24 AM

Perhaps even more democratic, we could crowdsource the calling of balls and strikes, so fans can determine the outcomes directly from the comfort of their own homes. :)
The technology exists, so it must be progress to use it.

Do you think that would help?

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#25 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Cassini-Huygens

• Members
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 11:28 AM

Do you think that would help?

I don't think help is necessary in the first place.

#26 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 12:45 PM

I don't think help is necessary in the first place.

That's your opinion which is your right.
Doesn't excuse mocking those who do believe that getting the calls right when reasonably possible is necessary.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#27 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

Your point is well taken, but I think that's a much smaller factor than the actual size of the zone. Both players are using the same diameter bat to hit the same diameter ball but Judge has to cover a larger zone. And probably an even bigger factor has to do with the pitcher. Altuve has a higher likelihood of drawing a walk because a smaller zone makes it more difficult for the pitcher to throw strikes. Look at the one at-bat taken by Eddie Gaedel. Obviously that's a bit of an exaggeration, but the point is that it seems unfair to the pitcher that a player's height should be a determining factor in the size of the strike zone.

Again though, Judge is covering an area that is proportionally equivalent to the strike zone of every other hitter in baseball. IMO it cannot be any more uniform than that. If it's more difficult for pitchers to throw to Altuve because his zone is smaller, that's a natural advantage. It's no different than Judge's strength giving him and edge, or a taller pitcher's release point that is closer to the plate being an asset. 

• spinowner and youngtwinsfan like this

#28 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

Again though, Judge is covering an area that is proportionally equivalent to the strike zone of every other hitter in baseball. IMO it cannot be any more uniform than that. If it's more difficult for pitchers to throw to Altuve because his zone is smaller, that's a natural advantage. It's no different than Judge's strength giving him and edge, or a taller pitcher's release point that is closer to the plate being an asset. 

This has progressed to an agree-to-disagree point. I enjoy the discussion.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#29 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 06:26 PM

High fastballs are impossible to hit. If you increase the strike zone to judge proportions for shorter players than they are never going to hit over .200 again. Balls are more difficult to hit because of where they lie in comparison to the batters body. I'm not sure how 1 strike zone makes it more fair. Quite honestly it's the most insane things I've ever heard

#30 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

High fastballs are impossible to hit. If you increase the strike zone to judge proportions for shorter players than they are never going to hit over .200 again. Balls are more difficult to hit because of where they lie in comparison to the batters body. I'm not sure how 1 strike zone makes it more fair. Quite honestly it's the most insane things I've ever heard

Having a uniform zone doesn't necessarily mean that it would be larger for small players. It could mean that it would be smaller for large players.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#31 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

And I prefer not to be referred to as insane, thank you.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#32 big dog

big dog

• Members
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

What about a case where you have a buffoon like Cuzzi, where he just appears to be letting his emotions take control of what little judgement he has?  That's not the human element, where mistakes are made.  That's a bad umpire trying to show up players with bad calls.  If we can't get rid of umpires who suck, I'm ready to automate (even though that's not my first choice).

• Mike Sixel and Oldgoat_MN like this

#33 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:34 PM

And I prefer not to be referred to as insane, thank you.

I never called you insane. I called the idea insane. It's equivalent to flat earth theory in my opinion
  • Thrylos likes this

#34 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

What about a case where you have a buffoon like Cuzzi, where he just appears to be letting his emotions take control of what little judgement he has? That's not the human element, where mistakes are made. That's a bad umpire trying to show up players with bad calls. If we can't get rid of umpires who suck, I'm ready to automate (even though that's not my first choice).

Yeah first thought came to my mind was the ump who was challenging the pitcher to challenge his call on a ball 4

#35 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 15,361 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 30 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

I never called you insane. I called the idea insane. It's equivalent to flat earth theory in my opinion

It happens that the TD Comment Policy covers this almost exactly:

"Sometimes it is difficult to separate the person from the subject being discussed. Maybe someone's opinion is truly stupid or laughable; it's still better to say "I disagree because..." rather than "that's stupid/laughable because...". Trying to maintain that "I said the idea was idiotic, not that you are idiotic" is too fine a distinction to maintain in a thread with multiple posters and hundreds of readers. Words like "silly" and "ridiculous" are going to catch a moderator's eye, likewise a response consisting only of "lol". Explain why an idea is mistaken, don't just lazily attach an adjective, epithet or emoticon to the idea."

• Riverbrian and spinowner like this

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.. -- George Bernard Shaw

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,049 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:21 PM

I was previously against it

Followed by Apathetic toward it

I'm now officially in the Automate it camp. 

The technology is there... Let it happen. 

There is no reason to miss balls and strikes in 2018. 

=

Glad to see you've joined us.

• Riverbrian likes this

#37 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 30 July 2017 - 09:27 PM

I can't plainly see any negatives to an automated strike zone. Give the home plate ump an ear piece and let he/she make the calls.
  • Riverbrian likes this

#38 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,906 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:14 AM

OK, pal, thanks for the eloquent analysis.

eiπ + 1 = 0

#39 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

OK, pal, thanks for the eloquent analysis.

Just curious. Is the strike zone going to be in the same spot for every batter too? So for Jose it would be belt to his eyes? Or would it be judge having to adjust to a strike zone from his shins to his thighs?

#40 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

Just curious. Is the strike zone going to be in the same spot for every batter too? So for Jose it would be belt to his eyes? Or would it be judge having to adjust to a strike zone from his shins to his thighs?

And what about the Rod Carew type that would crouch. Much as I liked him I never thought it quite fair that someone in a crouch got a smaller strike zone than a guy the same height that stood upright.  

Most exciting about the automated zone is that it puts an umpiring career back into play for me and my 20/50 vision.

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff.