Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Olney: Twins are buyers, but second-tier buyers

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:10 PM

Thanks for bringing up Pavano. He was 9-8 in 2009 with the Indians but with an ERA over 5 when the Twins dealt Yohan Pino for him. Pavano replaced an injured Glen Perkins in the Twins rotation, going 5-4 and also starting game 3 in the ALDS. (Perkins was demoted to AAA instead of being sent on a rehab assignment - which Perkins claimed was done to keep him from qualifying as a Super 2 for arbitration.) Pavano's real impact came the next season when he won 17 games for Minnesota and pitched 7 complete games. The rest of the staff was solid, too, as Blackburn, Baker, Slowey, and Liriano all made 28 or more starts and all won 10 or more games. (Duensing also won 10 in mixed duty)

Actually, Pavano pitched well after the trade, but his W-L didn't reflect that, which shows just how hard it is for one non-superstar to make a big impact in a mid-season trade.
Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.

#42 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:11 PM

with a totally similar bullpen!

My snark meter is registering!

Seriously though, Cleveland 2016 was and is better than the Twins 2016, 2017, or possible 2018 version. Andrew Miller was traded for a package of decent prospects last summer, and it paid off. Miller is showing some fatigue this summer and some of Cleveland's other pitchers are having down years. 

• Mike Sixel and Twodogs like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#43 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:14 PM

Taylor Rogers baby! The new Andrew Miller. 

Remember when people disagreed with us that Rogers should be up and in the bullpen, because he MIGHT be a starter some day? good times, just last year.....

• Vanimal46 likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#44 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:57 PM

FWIW, I just caught the Twins Insider podcast and Rob Antony said that there is a chance Romero and Gonsalves could make it to the majors by the end of this year - spoke highly of Gonsalves strike throwing and did mention some experience concerns with Romero. Maybe the front office is closer to giving them a shot than I would have guessed.

Papers...business papers.

#45 wavedog

wavedog

Twins fan since 1969

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:31 PM

This is a point of debate, but I think the Twins would have been happy to trade their prospects. Alas the Ms did not think quite as highly.

Taking a look back Seattle did not get too much contribution from the highly rated prospects from Texas.  Justin Smoak and Blake Bleaven were the 2 top prospects I believe and they contributed a small positive WAR. While Smoak did not achieve much success with Seattle he has had a terrific 1st half with Toronto this year. Seattle also threw in another pitcher Mark Lowe who gave up the game-winning homer for Texas in Game#6 of the 2011 World Series.  Well, that is enough coverage of that trade in a Twins thread - not sure who the Twins were rumored to have offered for Lee. 

#46 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

FWIW, I just caught the Twins Insider podcast and Rob Antony said that there is a chance Romero and Gonsalves could make it to the majors by the end of this year - spoke highly of Gonsalves strike throwing and did mention some experience concerns with Romero. Maybe the front office is closer to giving them a shot than I would have guessed.

I heard a similar statement on the radio this weekend, but they also said those guys could get a shot at the end of the year most likely if the Twins were out of it.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#47 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,417 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:57 PM

It petrifies me, but adding Feldman to the rotation isn't going to change that. The only pitcher that would make a difference with how the Red Sox, or the Astros, would feel about the Twins rotation would probably be Gray or Archer. As far as that goes then the Twins would really have to give up a lot, a la Quintana. So what I was saying is that they might as well go with what they got and see how far they get. Because a guy like Feldman can be had via free agency this off season. We already have a rotation full of Feldmans.

I get it, but that would be yet another half-rear end season.They know they will not be competitive in the post season as is.I hope that they sell Santana for one young controllable MLB-ready pitcher, plus a young controllable late inning pen piece. Something like Jordan Montgomery or Caleb Smith and Chad Green to the Yankees.Then deal Dozier for another Montgomery or Smith type (Milwaukee is my favorite designation for him for someone like Brandon Woodruff) and the:

Santana
Berrios
Mejia
Colon
Gee/Gibson

becomes

Berrios

Woodruff

Montgomery
Mejia

Gibson/Romero.

I find the latter more palatable. Santana had a 6.03 ERA in June.Improved in 2 games in July, but still I don't trust him...

Edited by Thrylos, 17 July 2017 - 04:57 PM.

• Sconnie likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#48 akmanak

akmanak

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

So is Colon considered second tier? Twins aren't going to do anything but spend as little as possible for players like this. Dont hold your breath.

#49 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:38 PM

Just ask Dick Bremer who the Twins should trade for. He told Torii Hunter that to tell Levine or Falvey to trade for Sonny Gray or Gerrit cole. Then he said to offer them the A's a bag of "Skittles" for Gray because that is what many Twins fans propose on Twitter. Sounds like something Terry Ryan or Dave St Peter would have said to Bremer and he was just repeating it to be snarky. That or because he thought he was being funny putting down Twins fans. 

I still think this team should trade Brian Dozier, but that would be a non-starter for Bremer or the ownership group because you know Dozier may put a few butts in the seats. He is still the asset with the potential to bring back a starting pitcher. Check with the Milwaukee or Red Sox or Royals they may take him for something decent.

I think Dozier could net us a good starter and he is the most replaceable piece they have in the starting line-up right now.  

Edited by jaimedude2, 17 July 2017 - 05:41 PM.

• Thrylos and laloesch like this

#50 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

Just ask Dick Bremer who the Twins should trade for. He told Torii Hunter that to tell Levine or Falvey to trade for Sonny Gray or Gerrit cole. Then he said to offer them the A's a bag of "Skittles" for Gray because that is what many Twins fans propose on Twitter. Sounds like something Terry Ryan or Dave St Peter would have said to Bremer and he was just repeating it to be snarky. That or because he thought he was being funny putting down Twins fans. 

Yeah.That was horrible but quintessential Dick. He forgets who is paying his salary and bites the hand that feeds him. Time to go.

-----

#51 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

Yeah.That was horrible but quintessential Dick. He forgets who is paying his salary and bites the hand that feeds him. Time to go.

Dick bite the hand that feeds him?  I strongly disagree.  I am convinced he was reading from a script given to him with the blessing from TPTB.

#52 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,057 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

Looking at the menu. 

David Phelps looks good.

However it says Market Price so the unknown cost makes me nervous. 

I would love to acquire Phelps and I would consider putting him in the rotation. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#53 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,417 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:01 PM

Dick bite the hand that feeds him?  I strongly disagree.  I am convinced he was reading from a script given to him with the blessing from TPTB.

The fans are paying Dick's and everyone associated with the Twins' salaries.Period.It is tacky to blame the fans, esp. after the product they have been putting on the field the last 25 seasons.

He read it.He could refused to do so.Making fun of the fans will not make him a fan favorite...

• Sconnie and Twodogs like this
-----

#54 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

Considering what many people on this board think are acceptable offers for these controllable starters, Dick has a point.

Papers...business papers.

#55 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,057 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:01 PM

I heard it.

It was way too clumsy to be scripted. If it was written... It was poorly done. 

Dick has read a liner card or two in his life. He'll sound pretty practiced at the craft when he does. 

It sounded exactly like a guy who was filling time, expanding on a subject and talked himself into a corner by expressing his opinion. 

I forgive him. 

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#56 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:07 PM

Who was the last pitcher the Twins traded for in mid-season who had a positive impact? It wasn't Hector Santiago last year. It wasn't Tommy Milone in 2014. Has there ever been one? I can't recall.

Matt Capps.

Heh........(cue sad trombone)

• Thrylos likes this

#57 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:10 PM

The fans are paying Dick's and everyone associated with the Twins' salaries.Period.It is tacky to blame the fans, esp. after the product they have been putting on the field the last 25 seasons.

He read it.He could refused to do so.Making fun of the fans will not make him a fan favorite...

I'll be the first to say that some of the things proposed on these boards are way off base from reality, me included at times, however to say some tacky thing about what the fans are saying is not good for business. I wonder what they will say when no one is talking about them anymore?? You know when the fans are talking it means they are watching, Dick better hope the fans don't stop talking; it wasn't all that many years ago that MLB tried to eliminate the Twins franchise.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#58 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 1,065 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

Cahill and Hand for a few of the over 22 prospects and Gibson. Gibson would have a chance in San Diego for a few good starts .The Padres could flip him for another prospect. Gibson pitching well is San Diego would generate a few angst filled threads

Those 2 pitchers should bring in a very nice haul of San Diego pulls the trigger quickly.

#59 olivia11

olivia11

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:35 PM

I have a hard time buying into the idea that any trade the Twins would make to add would put them in a position to win a playoff series. Getting to the playoffs shouldn't be the goal.  The goal should be getting to the playoffs and making a run.  

I have to think that trading away some assets now (Santana, Kintzler, Dozier) and getting another group of prospects to add to this current mix gives the Twins a better shot of accomplishing that goal in the next couple years.

• Thrylos, Major Leauge Ready, laloesch and 2 others like this

#60 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'll be the first to say that some of the things proposed on these boards are way off base from reality, me included at times, however to say some tacky thing about what the fans are saying is not good for business. I wonder what they will say when no one is talking about them anymore?? You know when the fans are talking it means they are watching, Dick better hope the fans don't stop talking; it wasn't all that many years ago that MLB tried to eliminate the Twins franchise.

If Dick criticizes management, he'll find out in that NY minute whose name is actually signed on his paycheck--and it isn't John Q. Public!