Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Olney: Twins are buyers, but second-tier buyers

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#21 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:45 PM

This is a point of debate, but I think the Twins would have been happy to trade their prospects. Alas the Ms did not think quite as highly.

We don't really now, but given that the Shannon Stewart trade is the one big in season trade made during that time, it might not be a one sided thing that it didn't happen.

• DJSim22 likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#22 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

We don't really now, but given that the Shannon Stewart trade is the one big in season trade made during that time, it might not be a one sided thing that it didn't happen.

Which is certainly fair, we don't know for sure. I generally think 2010 was a different paradigm for the franchise. They just didn't have enough in prospects to match the offer from the Rangers.

Papers...business papers.

#23 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,417 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:55 PM

Go with
Santana
Berrios
Mejia
Colon
Gee/Gibson

I am sure that this rotation petrifies the Indians, Red Sox and Astros that the Twins will have to beat in the post-season.

• Mike Sixel, Sconnie and Twodogs like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#24 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

Cahill and Feldman are cheap/good enough that they won't clear waivers in August. They should get dealt in July.

#25 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for bringing up Pavano. He was 9-8 in 2009 with the Indians but with an ERA over 5 when the Twins dealt Yohan Pino for him. Pavano replaced an injured Glen Perkins in the Twins rotation, going 5-4 and also starting game 3 in the ALDS. (Perkins was demoted to AAA instead of being sent on a rehab assignment - which Perkins claimed was done to keep him from qualifying as a Super 2 for arbitration.) Pavano's real impact came the next season when he won 17 games for Minnesota and pitched 7 complete games. The rest of the staff was solid, too, as Blackburn, Baker, Slowey, and Liriano all made 28 or more starts and all won 10 or more games. (Duensing also won 10 in mixed duty)

• birdwatcher and Danchat like this

#26 Ben Noble

Ben Noble

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • LocationPowderhorn Park

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:21 PM

I'd still prefer they try to move legitimately valuable prospects for young, controllable pitching. Gotta give up value to get value.

• Sconnie likes this

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

I'd still prefer they try to move legitimately valuable prospects for young, controllable pitching. Gotta give up value to get value.

Like?

They passed/or lost the bidding on Quintana. I doubt Archer is actually available. 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#28 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:37 PM

I am sure that this rotation petrifies the Indians, Red Sox and Astros that the Twins will have to beat in the post-season.

It petrifies me, but adding Feldman to the rotation isn't going to change that. The only pitcher that would make a difference with how the Red Sox, or the Astros, would feel about the Twins rotation would probably be Gray or Archer. As far as that goes then the Twins would really have to give up a lot, a la Quintana. So what I was saying is that they might as well go with what they got and see how far they get. Because a guy like Feldman can be had via free agency this off season. We already have a rotation full of Feldmans.
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#29 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Which is certainly fair, we don't know for sure. I generally think 2010 was a different paradigm for the franchise. They just didn't have enough in prospects to match the offer from the Rangers.

Different manager, two GMs ago. Frankly, the Capps trade was the team trying to go for it, exactly as many people are demanding now. Unfortunately, they were using archaic thoughts and systems about the value of prospects and closers, and how to assess the skills of a closer, so they got snookered while trying to do what most fans consider the right thing. The thought process was to dangle an exciting prospect - at a position, catcher, the team thought it would have covered nearly for eternity - and get the most it could for him, and the manager valued highly a closer on the basis of counting stats. A savvier GM - or management team - should have been able to get more for Ramos or pay less for Capps.
  • birdwatcher, brvama and drjim like this
Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.

#30 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:39 PM

Archer plays for the Rays, and the Rays are three games behind Boston.

• Mike Sixel, Twodogs and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#31 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

I agree, but after the Quintana deal it seems as though the price for these types of pitchers is going to be too high, or actually more that what the Twins have to offer.

#32 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

I'm not sure what W-L record or position in the standings becomes acceptable for people before "trying to win" becomes a good goal. Only one poster that I recall has ever actually set a benchmark and then stuck to that bench mark when it rolled around.

I'm not sure people realize that the Twins could be 10 games over .500 a year from now, or two years from now, and still be eight games back in the standings and clawing for a wild card anyway.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#33 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:44 PM

How about:

Santana

best matchup

Berrios

Santana

best matchup 

Berrios

Santana

• Vanimal46 and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#34 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Archer plays for the Rays, and the Rays are three games behind Boston.

Yes, I don't know why his name keeps being brought up, but it does?
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

How about:

Santana

best matchup

Berrios

Santana

best matchup 

Berrios

Santana

Pretty much exactly what Cleveland did last year. Look at how far they went with that strategy. 

• Hosken Bombo Disco and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#36 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

I'm not sure what W-L record or position in the standings becomes acceptable for people before "trying to win" becomes a good goal. Only one poster that I recall has ever actually set a benchmark and then stuck to that bench mark when it rolled around.

I'm not sure people realize that the Twins could be 10 games over .500 a year from now, or two years from now, and still be eight games back in the standings and clawing for a wild card anyway.

With half of KC entering free agency, most of the White Sox traded, most of Detroit on Gerotol, the Twins are a bad yearfor the Indians away from being able to once again limp to a title.

#37 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

The Twins currently have a forecasted 12% chance to make the playoffs. With all the holes on the team, it's hard to see how any one player, including Mike Trout, could even double those odds. Further, the Twins simply don't have the prospects to match what the Cubs traded for Quintana. It doesn't make sense, this year, to tear up the farm system for a long shot chance to make the playoffs and an even longer shot to win.

On the other hand, the players Olney mentions are all for this year, where they won't make nearly the difference that Quintana would have made, and do little to nothing for next year. Therefore, the amount to pay would be small. Their current teams are probably hoping for more than salary relief. However, if someone like the Reds will take Phil Hughes and his salary (and upside, of course) in exchange for Feldman, perhaps Falvine will throw in a prospect.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 17 July 2017 - 03:13 PM.

Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:02 PM

Pretty much exactly what Cleveland did last year. Look at how far they went with that strategy. 

with a totally similar bullpen!

• Twodogs and Vanimal46 like this

#39 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:04 PM

With half of KC entering free agency, most of the White Sox traded, most of Detroit on Gerotol, the Twins are a bad yearfor the Indians away from being able to once again limp to a title.

Well, Cleveland is having a bad year this year.

#40 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:05 PM

with a totally similar bullpen!

Taylor Rogers baby! The new Andrew Miller. 

• Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco, Twodogs and 1 other like this