Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Olney: Twins are buyers, but second-tier buyers

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,627 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

Buster Olney's latest column has lots of trade tidbits, including this:

• The Minnesota Twins have told other clubs in so many terms that they will be measured buyers -- in other words, they won't rip up major parts of their farm system to trade for big names, but they would like to add some help in their pursuit of a wild-card spot. As of Saturday morning, the Twins were just a game behind the Yankees for the second wild-card spot.

This dovetails nicely with the last 20 minutes of the latest Gleeman and the Geek podcast, where I list second tier starters, many of whom might be able to be acquired AFTER the trade deadline in the waiver period. Names include: Trevor Cahill, Scott Feldman, Edinson Volquez, Marco Estrada, Jaime Garcia and Jeremy Hellickson. 

Any of these float your boat?

• glunn, Blake, nicksaviking and 2 others like this

#2 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

Nope.
  • David HK likes this

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:43 AM

I'd take any of them if the price was right. It's a smart play for the Twins if they're still hovering after the Dodgers series.
Papers...business papers.

#4 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 471 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

Who was the last pitcher the Twins traded for in mid-season who had a positive impact? It wasn't Hector Santiago last year. It wasn't Tommy Milone in 2014. Has there ever been one? I can't recall.

#5 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Cahill and Hand for a few of the over 22 prospects and Gibson. Gibson would have a chance in San Diego for a few good starts .The Padres could flip him for another prospect. Gibson pitching well is San Diego would generate a few angst filled threads

#6 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

Who was the last pitcher the Twins traded for in mid-season who had a positive impact? It wasn't Hector Santiago last year. It wasn't Tommy Milone in 2014. Has there ever been one? I can't recall.

Pavano.

• ashburyjohn, Teflon, Danchat and 4 others like this

#7 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Without knowing Cahil's contract I would take him, he is only 29 and seems like a guy that could break out for a few years.

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

I'm fairly indifferent, as long as they give up older prospects this FO doesn't want to give a chance, why not? That said, I'd rather they promote their AA pitchers to AAA, then the majors, this year. Others think that is rushing them, and will hurt their development. I don't feel that way.

• brvama, Cory Engelhardt, Sconnie and 3 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#9 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:02 AM

Marco Estrada would be a good buy-somewhat-low guy as a rental. He's striking out more guys than ever this year, but he's given up more hits than usual for whatever reason, resulting in an ERA over 5.

• Cory Engelhardt and markos like this

#10 gheggs42

gheggs42

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 10:53 AM

Straily is who I would look at, how much would he cost?

#11 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Pavano.

• Teflon, HitInAPinch and Vanimal46 like this

#12 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:14 AM

2nd tier players for a 2nd tier organization.

• Mike Sixel, laloesch, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#13 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:32 AM

As you and Aaron said in the podcast John, Cahill and Feldman were easily obtainable last winter. Now it's going to require some sort of compensation beyond money to acquire these types of guys for ~2 months of performance. 

I don't really have a desire to trade for any of these rental players without an agreement that they would re-sign with the team in the offseason. 

• Major Leauge Ready, laloesch, Twodogs and 1 other like this

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

I'm fairly indifferent, as long as they give up older prospects this FO doesn't want to give a chance, why not? That said, I'd rather they promote their AA pitchers to AAA, then the majors, this year. Others think that is rushing them, and will hurt their development. I don't feel that way.

The bigger issue for the AA guys, for more than potentially hurting their development, is that there is little in their profile suggesting they can be successful in the majors this year. If Twins want to try to remain borderline competitive, they need someone that can actually help them win games.

If they want to sell off and reload for next year, then there is nothing wrong with giving the AA guys some starts in the bigs, aside from Romero's innings issue.

• birdwatcher, Mike Sixel and Twodogs like this

#15 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:41 AM

2nd tier players for a 2nd tier organization.

They absolutely are a second tier organization at the moment. It's a step up from last year!

• Thrylos, Mike Sixel, Danchat and 3 others like this

#16 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 11:58 AM

IDK, I'd wait to see what the rotation additions of Colon and Gee could add before going after a low tier starter as they already are filled with low tier starters. Go with
Santana
Berrios
Mejia
Colon
Gee/Gibson
for the time being and maybe look to add something to the bullpen cheap. Then in the off season look to add a Lance Lynn type and then another one of those low tier guys like Cahill, Estrada, Hellickson, or Feldman. Otherwise it will probably cost too much in prospects for even one of those lower guys because the selling teams know that their pitchers are needed. I'm afraid that even a Feldman or an Estrada will ask for too much. I really want to see what Gee can offer and give Colon 3 or 4 starts to see if he can get back to last year. Then Gibson becomes the 6th man to rotate in and out when needed. If those guys bomb this season will probably be toast anyway, so at that point look to make next year stronger.
  • DocBauer likes this

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#17 ahart10

ahart10

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

This is my problem with being a Twins fan. Other teams in comparable markets "go for it" when they have a chance. I'm not saying this is the year to do so. It's just disappointing to see Brewers, Royals, Indians, etc making big moves when they're in contention but we trade for Capps.

#18 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:32 PM

This is my problem with being a Twins fan. Other teams in comparable markets "go for it" when they have a chance. I'm not saying this is the year to do so. It's just disappointing to see Brewers, Royals, Indians, etc making big moves when they're in contention but we trade for Capps.

Remember when there were rumors surrounding the Twins and Cliff Lee in 2010 I think? That would've been pretty cool.

#19 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

Remember when there were rumors surrounding the Twins and Cliff Lee in 2010 I think? That would've been pretty cool.

But we couldn't trade our precious prospects... . Though in later years they did trade them.

• bluechipper likes this

#20 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

But we couldn't trade our precious prospects... . Though in later years they did trade them.

This is a point of debate, but I think the Twins would have been happy to trade their prospects. Alas the Ms did not think quite as highly.