Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Jeff Samardzija

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 AZTwin

AZTwin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

Have to think he would be on the table given the giants record and their farm system. Could the Twins be a player even though he's owed $18M per season over next 4 years?

could a Lamonte wade, jermaine palacios, randy Rosario and maybe Palka package be enough?
  • HitInAPinch and D.C Twins like this

#2 Huddy

Huddy

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

Have to think he would be on the table given the giants record and their farm system. Could the Twins be a player even though he's owed $18M per season over next 4 years?

could a Lamonte wade, jermaine palacios, randy Rosario and maybe Palka package be enough?

That's a lot to give up considering his horrendous salary.

• DJSim22 and SF Twins Fan like this

#3 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,674 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:01 PM

The Giants aren't really hurting for money, and they are going to need starters going forward too, so they don't necessarily have to give Samardzija away.

#4 AZTwin

AZTwin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

That's a lot to give up considering his horrendous salary.

True but he's a workhorse and it's not like any of those guys are make or break it players for the Twins. Rosario has a lot of potential but right now it's untapped and you have to give up something. Palacios comes at a position of strength. Samardzija would be a 3-4 starter who could log a lot of innings, which the Twins need.
  • D.C Twins likes this

#5 AZTwin

AZTwin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

The Giants aren't really hurting for money, and they are going to need starters going forward too, so they don't necessarily have to give Samardzija away.

Other guy thought my package was too much, you think it's giving him away haha. Giants need prospects in the worst way. We lack top end prospects but are deep so it could benefit both teams

#6 AZTwin

AZTwin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

I could see us dangling Stewart or blankenhorn too. Obviously not all together but a package of 3-4 prospects

#7 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,674 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

Other guy thought my package was too much, you think it's giving him away haha. Giants need prospects in the worst way. We lack top end prospects but are deep so it could benefit both teams

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean your proposal was giving him away. I was actually more responding to the other poster who thought it was too much.

#8 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• Members
  • 2,541 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Never liked Shark, myself. I wouldn't invest assets ina move to get him. But that's me.
  • Thrylos and 70charger like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#9 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,505 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 July 2017 - 07:23 PM

Nope.Other than his half season with the A's he has been horrible in the AL.Gibson-like.And he is 33 and under contract until age 36 for $20M per.Unless the Giants are willing to eat 50 of that $60 million, it would be a non-starter.And still.

Really.The Twins need to get better, young, controllable pitching.Samardzija does not fit any of that...

• Blake and gman like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,674 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

Nope. Other than his half season with the A's he has been horrible in the AL. Gibson-like. And he is 33 and under contract until age 36 for $20M per. Unless the Giants are willing to eat 50 of that $60 million, it would be a non-starter. And still.
Really. The Twins need to get better, young, controllable pitching. Samardzija does not fit any of that...

Other than his half-season with the A's, he only spent 1 year in the AL. And that year (White Sox) his ERA+ was only 79 but his FIP- was basically league average at 102, which doesn't really fit the recent Gibson model.

Good note on the contract being backloaded though. 5/90, but he only made $10.8 mil the first year, so he makes $19.8 this year and the following three.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,502 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

No. Not great. Old. Expensive.
  • ChiTownTwinsFan, Danchat, laloesch and 3 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#12 AZTwin

AZTwin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

Contract is bad, yes. But it's not insane compared to Ervin Santana. He has had problems with the long ball but his periphals are pretty good and it's not like it would cost A list prospects. Solid 3 or 4 guy with a lot of toughness and would be a good role model for the young prospects

Edited by AZTwin, 16 July 2017 - 09:19 PM.

#13 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,463 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:23 PM

I'd take him over all but two current Twins starters.

I wouldn't give up a lot, but As a straight salary dump, he'd be a good target.
  • Sconnie and HitInAPinch like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#14 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:52 PM

Dang he has always been a tough starter, but for some reason he just doesn't ever seem to be able to put it all together. He seems like he could be an Ace, but he hovers around that #3 guy his whole career. That being said, if the Twins could ever get him he'd be a great addition, but I'm not sure what would be worth giving up for him, how long is he signed through??

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#15 AZTwin

AZTwin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:00 PM

Dang he has always been a tough starter, but for some reason he just doesn't ever seem to be able to put it all together. He seems like he could be an Ace, but he hovers around that #3 guy his whole career. That being said, if the Twins could ever get him he'd be a great addition, but I'm not sure what would be worth giving up for him, how long is he signed through??

#16 Twodogs

Twodogs

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

I guess what needs to be asked is: are the Giants really this bad? Or have they just had some bad luck like with Madison Baumgarner being hurt and stuff like that?? I mean they also have some other pitchers that are getting long in the tooth like Cueto, Moore, Cain, etc... So if the Giants think that a rotation of Baumgarner, Cueto, Samardzija, etc.... Along with guys like Buster Posey et. Al. Have absolutely no shot next year then I could seen them completely dismantling the whole program and starting over, but as I'm looking at it from the outside, I'd say that's a decent team and probably worth keeping together for one more year. So with that said, I'd think you'd have to blow them away to get a guy like Samardzija off them.

JMO

Edited by Twodogs, 16 July 2017 - 10:17 PM.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#17 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,153 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:01 AM

I'd take him over all but two current Twins starters.

I wouldn't give up a lot, but As a straight salary dump, he'd be a good target.

Agree.  I think Samardzija might be suffering from the "innings eater" thing.  Cutting back on his innings might be helpful.

It's not my fault !

#18 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:43 AM

I would give them Breslow and Santiago for Samardzija and money. That would get the Giants out of that horrible contract and help them sign someone for next year.

#19 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,926 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:52 AM

I like the idea of getting an expensive pitcher under contract who is performing reasonably well, but nothing special. Should be a cheap get in terms of prospects and could provide some back end stabilization...

So here's my question about Jeff.

K rate over 9

Walk rate right at 1

WHIP at a healthy 1.17

HR rate is high (1.45)

That's an odd combo. Peripherals all look good. NL makes a difference obviously, and that part scares me when picking up a 32 year old pitcher under contract for 4 more years. I'd prefer he be a bit younger.

Good idea though. I don't think it would cost a ton to get him if SF made him available.

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,674 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

He seems to be doing a Phil Hughes circa 2014 thing with his walks (or lack thereof).

I doubt the Giants view him as a net negative. Sure, he's not an ace or even a #2 right now, but he's not bad. Matt Cain is bad. The Giants don't have enough good starters that they can dump someone like Samardzija, especially with the uncertainty around Cueto.