Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Astros 10, Twins 5: Berrios Bombs

jose berrios brian dozier zack granite
  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:12 AM

The 2016 version of Jose Berrios showed up, unfortunately, as the Twins were once again handed a lopsided loss at the hands of Houston. Brian Dozier got things started off great, clubbing a lead-off homer, but the Astros eventually built a 10-1 lead and cruised to victory.Win Expectancy & Top 5 Plays Per WPA (via Fangraphs)
Download attachment: WinEx715.png
Download attachment: TopPlays715.png
If Twins fans were a little shell shocked heading into a series at Houston, you couldn't blame them. Not only are the Astros the best team in baseball, but they also destroyed the Twins in a sweep at Target Field earlier this year.

Welp, things didn’t go much better at Houston. Berrios lasted just 1.2 innings, giving up seven runs, though only two were earned. Jorge Polanco made an error with one out in the second inning, which ended up being an eight-run frame for the Astros.

Dozier had an excellent game, going 2-for-5 with four RBI, but he was one of very few bright spots for the Twins. Zack Granite got his first MLB hit, a double, and drew a walk.

Phil Hughes gave up three runs over 1.1 innings, but the rest of the bullpen was solid. Ryan Pressly (1.0 IP), Buddy Boshers (1.2 IP), Trevor Hildenberger (1.1 IP) and Matt Belisle (1.0 IP) combined for five scoreless innings.

Bullpen Usage
Here’s a quick look at the number of pitches thrown by the bullpen over the past five days:
Download attachment: Pen715.png
Saturday
Twins (Ervin Santana) at Houston (Joe Musgrove), 6:10 pm CT

Musgrove has been scuffling of late, giving up 18 runs over his last 15 innings pitched. His changeup, which he throws about 12 percent of the time, has been getting crushed of late. Opponents are slugging over 1.000 on that pitch since the start of June per Brooks Baseball.

Ervin ended the first half on a high note, throwing a complete game in a 2-1 loss to the Angels. Santana pitched well against the Astros on Memorial Day, holding them to two runs (one earned) over 7.0 innings. The bullpen blew that game in spectacular fashion, giving up 14 runs over the final two frames. Carlos Correa is 5-for-7 with a home run and a double off Ervin over his career.

Click here to view the article

#2 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 633 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 05:58 AM

Why did Twins take out Buxton? He okay?

Baseball is a funny game. If you don't get outs when you are supposed to get outs, the balance tips and sometimes it can tip dramatically. Looked like Jose did not get a couple outs when he could have in the second, didn't have command and that was the game that inning.

It happens. And, it happened to every Central team last night.

#3 ScooterDance

ScooterDance

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

Buxton pulled a buxton by windmilling his arms to stave off a fall while collecting his two bagger. In the process he ran mega funny and seemed to have tweaked something.

Just run at normal speed bruh. You were in easy with 2.
  • adorduan and D.C Twins like this

#4 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

The Twins defense giveth, and taketh. I think it's time to end the Polanco experiment. That potential tailor made double play ball he booted was absolutely brutal. Berrios should've been out of that inning, and 8 runs followed.

I don't care if you're Nolan Ryan. It won't end well if your defense is giving the most dynamic offense in the game extra outs.
  • adjacent, jun, mikelink45 and 1 other like this

#5 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 2,695 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:33 AM

Other than Hughes, the bullpen picked a relatively worthless game to perform well. 9 walks, 2 errors, a HBP.... and the bats managed to get only 5 hits and went 1-13 with RISP. 11 LOB and 13 Ks. Our pitchers, especially Pressly (2 out of 25 pitches), couldn't buy a swing and miss, and Hughes is toast. Berrios lost his cool, for sure, and 2 of his seven runs were let score by Hughes and the 0-2 meat to McCann. Houston left the door wide open for a comeback, and the Twins couldn't step through the threshold, inning after inning. It happens. And against Houston this year, it happens every game. 

• jun likes this

#6 COtwin

COtwin

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:56 AM

Hughes needs to be done. He needed one pitch and instead threw meat. He can't be trusted at all. Game wasn't lost until he put the finishing touches on. Cut him and be done.
  • jun and mikelink45 like this

#7 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:37 AM

I'm getting a little peeved at all these poundings. Falvey brought in his own people, including his catchers, and they are all supposed to have analytical insights about how to pitch to teams. They had a week to prepare for this series.
  • jun likes this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#8 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:52 AM

I said this in the game thread and I'll say it here.  Yes the error hurt, but Berrios was terrible.  He was going 2-0, 3-0 on almost every hitter.  A lot of his pitches weren't even close.

• Danchat, Miles Tones and jimmer like this

#9 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:12 AM

I don't like the underlying implications of this game.  Not ready for prime time.  This will hopefully be a painful learning experience, but it is in the zone of proximal development at least for this team.  They got the bases loaded a bunch, they got to two outs and even two strikes in tough situations.  They just need to learn to get over that proverbial hump.

Kudos to the bullpen (sans Hughes) for keeping things in check.  This could have been another 16-5 loss, further skewing that all important run differential statorama.

#10 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

Berrios like every pitcher is going to have bad games - note that our best pitcher, Santana on June 3,14, 20 gave up 7,5,6 runs.  It happens.  Fielding is another issue.  Polanco has an error every 7 games and often it is on a DP ball and his rating in the fielding stats is really poor here.  That does not excuse Berrios, but we also cannot excuse Polanco. The ESPN site fielding rankings have him number 11 at SS in the American League - not MLB so number 11 of 15.  We do not have anyone better to put in at this time, but with his current batting stats he could be replaced by Adrianza or Vielma.    http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/league/al/order/true

Hughes reminds me of the Pelfrey years.  Starters do suffer from relief pitchers who quickly give up the inherited baserunners, but more important, he has not shown any ability that is worth a position in the pen.

Let's hope this is an anomaly and not a sign for the second half. 

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,595 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

I'm starting to think the Twins might not be quite as good as Houston.
  • Mike Sixel, Riverbrian, Willihammer and 8 others like this
Papers...business papers.

#12 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:25 AM

I said this in the game thread and I'll say it here.  Yes the error hurt, but Berrios was terrible.  He was going 2-0, 3-0 on almost every hitter.  A lot of his pitches weren't even close.

I agree, but I think that is partially attributable to the crushing error. He's a young pitcher with sky-high ambition. We've seen this before that when something goes awry behind him, he starts trying to get a swinging strike on every pitch, nibbles at (and often misses) the corners, gets behind in the count, and gives up thunder when he has to come in with a 3-0 or 3-1 pitch.

This seems fixable to me with more maturity and experience.

• jun and Deduno Abides like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#13 adorduan

adorduan

• Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:27 AM

Berrios like every pitcher is going to have bad games - note that our best pitcher, Santana on June 3,14, 20 gave up 7,5,6 runs.  It happens.  Fielding is another issue.  Polanco has an error every 7 games and often it is on a DP ball and his rating in the fielding stats is really poor here.  That does not excuse Berrios, but we also cannot excuse Polanco. The ESPN site fielding rankings have him number 11 at SS in the American League - not MLB so number 11 of 15.  We do not have anyone better to put in at this time, but with his current batting stats he could be replaced by Adrianza or Vielma.    http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/fielding/_/position/ss/league/al/order/true

Hughes reminds me of the Pelfrey years.  Starters do suffer from relief pitchers who quickly give up the inherited baserunners, but more important, he has not shown any ability that is worth a position in the pen.

Let's hope this is an anomaly and not a sign for the second half. 

Yeah, we do.  Escobar.

• jun and HitInAPinch like this

#14 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:29 AM

I'm starting to think the Twins might not be quite as good as Houston.

"Houston, we have a problem."
  • Mike Sixel and Riverbrian like this

#15 terrydactyls1947

terrydactyls1947

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationCumberland Center, Maine

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:31 AM

A couple of observations. 1. I hope this convinces people that it would be idiotic to trade potential MLB players for a stopgap pitcher. The Twins are not ready now. Vegas has them at 70-1 to win the series. 2. The highlight of the game was Altuve throwing his glove after he mis-timed his jump on Granite's double. 3. Hunter's laughter after Altuve threw his glove.
  • Mike Sixel, USNMCPO, Taildragger8791 and 1 other like this

#16 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• Members
  • 5,156 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

Well, the Astro's lineup last night had 5 players in it who are hitting over .300 and another just a few points behind.  On the mound for the Twins, a young pitcher who's still trying to find his way.  I was hoping for something under double digits, but Berrios isn't just quite there yet.  

If there was anything good coming out of this game, they didn't run out their 3 core bullpen pitchers (Duffey, Rogers and Kintler) and the number of walks they had.  

It's not my fault !

#17 Tom Froemming

Tom Froemming

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 722 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:07 AM

FYI, just updated this to include video of the Polanco error.

• Riverbrian likes this

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,603 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:13 AM

A couple of observations.

1. I hope this convinces people that it would be idiotic to trade potential MLB players for a stopgap pitcher. The Twins are not ready now. Vegas has them at 70-1 to win the series.

2. The highlight of the game was Altuve throwing his glove after he mis-timed his jump on Granite's double.

3. Hunter's laughter after Altuve threw his glove.

Who are the stopgap pitchers people have been demanding to trade for? Quintana?

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#19 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Looks like Vargas fouled another ball of his foot yesterday and could hit the DL.

http://www.startribu...tros/434617393/

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#20 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

Mauer could be activated today too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jose berrios, brian dozier, zack granite