Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Jorge Polanco

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Danny Santana has an AA OPS of 719. Jorge Polanco also 719.

Santana AAA - 807. Polanco - 762

Majors: Santana 681. Polanco 678

Both came with questions about their ability to stay at shortstop. Both made good first major league impressions. I think Polanco is better than Santana but that may be more hope than substance.
  • USAFChief and jun like this

#62 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:44 AM

Polanco is way too young to be worried about him yet.

Before this year, the narrative was he wasn't going to last because of his defense. Lo and behold, here we are and he has a positive defensive WAR in his sophomore year. 

We know Polanco can hit and his hitting will come around eventually. He might need a break in AAA, but that's not a big deal given his age.

#63 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:50 AM

I don't think we know he can hit at all. He might, but it's not like he dominated the minors.

Can't send him to AAA, the previous FO bungled his options.

• USAFChief likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#64 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

Polanco has less than 600 PAs. This is what you see with young players. Lots of ups and downs. Let's settle down on the Polanco sucks train of thought.

I think TK once said a big leaguer needs around 1500 or so at bats (not exact) before he truly can get it or not get it.So say you go below that number at around 1200 roughly 2 seasons.Polanco would be about halfway to that point.I certainly agree on the ups and downs.I am not saying he is the solution at ss for the next 10+ years but think he at least needs to be given the remainder of the season.Long tenured big leaguers have ups and downs.Due to experience they know how to deal with those ups and downs.Generally speaking they don't get too high on themselves when they are rolling and don't get too down when they are struggling. 

• Doomtints likes this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#65 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Danny Santana has an AA OPS of 719. Jorge Polanco also 719.

Santana AAA - 807. Polanco - 762

Majors: Santana 681. Polanco 678

Both came with questions about their ability to stay at shortstop. Both made good first major league impressions. I think Polanco is better than Santana but that may be more hope than substance.

Similar ops but different profiles. Santana was the better athlete (higher babip) and had a little more pop (higher iso), and Polanco had a lot lower k rate and slightly better bb rate.

Polanco has lower iso and babip than I would hope for this season, the key is if it is a blip or his reality. His k and bb rates are perfectly acceptable. Santana never fixed that.

Even if he had an option, I'm not sure I'd send Polanco down this year. Give him a couple of days and go again. Maybe it's also time to move him off ss.
Papers...business papers.

#66 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

On Santana v Polanco

In the minors i would rather have the higher ISO bat. Good walk rates and low ISO doesn't translate to the majors well. Pitchers pound the strike zone and walk rates drop.

On option...

Yes. The Twins lost a year when they moved him from Dominican League to US in same summer. They lost the opportunity for a 4th option. However, he didn't lose any years of development due to injury. He entered this year with a very reasonable amount of minor league at bats including those in AA and AAA. He is 24. It is time for him to struggle in the majors and prove with some time he belongs (or not).
  • Mike Sixel and KidBro like this

#67 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

According to the tweets, Polanco booted a double play grounder which ignited the Houston rally. Polanco had a nice start but he has been poor for a while now. I'm done with him. Escobar can start at short and Polanco can be the reserve.

If you think Polanco is bad at short, good luck with Escobar. Escobar is not an everyday SS.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#68 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

If you think Polanco is bad at short, good luck with Escobar. Escobar is not an everyday SS.

In 2255 innings at SS for the Twins, Escobar has a .978 Fielding %.  Ill take that + his bat at SS everyday.  Though, now with Mauer out and Vargas down, that means more time at third for him. Polanco is getting the opportunity, now he has to run with it.

I get my opinions from media guides.

#69 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

In 2255 innings at SS for the Twins, Escobar has a .978 Fielding %.  Ill take that + his bat at SS everyday.  Though, now with Mauer out and Vargas down, that means more time at third for him. Polanco is getting the opportunity, now he has to run with it.

Escobar will make the routine play, but his range is not there at all to be playing at SS everyday.

#70 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad plan to sign Zack Cozart this off-season as the primary SS, and let Polanco be the new Escobar rotating around the diamond. 

#71 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Jorge Polanco is the starting DH today. I'm not joking.

• Danchat and Huddy like this

#72 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

Jorge Polanco is the starting DH today. I'm not joking.

I. Uh. Hmmm. I blame the FO and their "pitching" staff and a 3 man bench for this, not the manager.

• bluechipper likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#73 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:51 AM

Is Rosario hurt also?

If not, can we blame the manager for putting Grossman in LF so Polanco can DH?

Edited by jorgenswest, 19 July 2017 - 10:52 AM.

• USAFChief and bluechipper like this

#74 Comrade Bork

Comrade Bork

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

Escobar will make the routine play, but his range is not there at all to be playing at SS everyday.

his career UZR at short is .4 which currently Ties him with Dansby Swanson at #16 in the league.  Though the -6 from last year doesnt do much to encourage... lol

I get my opinions from media guides.