Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Jorge Polanco

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 04:08 AM

I love it. In one frustrating thread we have fans crushing the Twins for giving up on players too early. In this frustrating thread we have fans actively calling for us to give up on a talented young player.

We TD Twins fans certainly run the gamut of emotions and expectations!

Noam Chomsky over the years has had some interesting thingsto say about sports.There are plenty here who validate his thesis with the actions you describe.

• Joe A. Preusser likes this

#42 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 05:06 AM

I guess that's you tonight. Go figure.

I say we really lean into it and start parsing it out by AB.

AB #1 - SO - trade the bum!
AB #2 - GIDP - trade the bum!
AB #3 - Single - keep the solid performer!
AB #4 - HR! - extend the stud!
AB #5 - SO - trade the bum!

This would require a lot of work, but the clear benefit is that we wouldn't have to wait until after the game is over to make unreasonable demands.

Real time process people!
  • Mike Sixel, 70charger and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#43 Suicide Skweez

Suicide Skweez

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

So... us Minnesotans are, by nature, too nice to speak bluntly. We like to beat around the bush and spare each other's feelings. In honor of this series, I'll speak bluntly as a New Yorker would: Polanco absolutely sucks. No reason he should be playing ahead of EA or EE.

#44 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 7,614 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 18 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

Polanco has less than 600 PAs. This is what you see with young players. Lots of ups and downs. Let's settle down on the Polanco sucks train of thought.
  • diehardtwinsfan, Siehbiscuit, bluechipper and 2 others like this

#45 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 17,827 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

Polanco has less than 600 PAs. This is what you see with young players. Lots of ups and downs. Let's settle down on the Polanco sucks train of thought.

I'd feel better if there were, indeed, lots of ups.

• jun likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#46 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:02 PM

Another missed play tonight. And hasn't gotten a regular hit in weeks. Can you DL a guy for mental reasons? They really need to come up with something. It's not going to do any good to keep running him out there. At least Buxton had his defense. 

• jun likes this

#47 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,828 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:22 PM

At this point it's hard to justify why Adrianza isn't the regular SS. Perhaps when they throw in the towel Jorge should play everyday. The concerns about him playing short seem pretty real right now.

#48 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:28 AM

I'd feel better if there were, indeed, lots of ups.

Last year? .756 ops and 101 wrc+ in 270 PAs is pretty solid. Probably not a ss tho.
Papers...business papers.

#49 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

I still think he'll ultimately hit enough, but maybe there was a reason the previous front office gave up on him being a ss.

#50 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:02 AM

I am pretty sure I have been reading (on this site) he was going to be an all star 2nd baseman on the 2020 world champion MN Twins.

The last regime thought so much of him they pissed though all his options and now this regime kind of has their hands tied with him. Keep playing him and hope this is just a bad streak, make him a utility player (which is what I believed he always was), or move him and hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#51 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

Last year? .756 ops and 101 wrc+ in 270 PAs is pretty solid. Probably not a ss tho.

If he hit that as a SS, that would be an above average player. 

It is hard to see it right now, though.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#52 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:22 AM

I am pretty sure I have been reading (on this site) he was going to be an all star 2nd baseman on the 2020 world champion MN Twins.

The last regime thought so much of him they pissed though all his options and now this regime kind of has their hands tied with him. Keep playing him and hope this is just a bad streak, make him a utility player (which is what I believed he always was), or move him and hope it doesn't come back to haunt them.

He still could be really good in 2020.

The previous front office probably scewed up by not manipulating his minor league assignments to get a 4th option, but they didn't do anything wrong with the options they used.
  • bluechipper likes this

#53 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

1st place......or bust.

• Twins Mods
  • 10,086 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

He's Pedro Florimon.....minus the glove.:)

Gulp!

#54 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

If he hit that as a SS, that would be an above average player.

It is hard to see it right now, though.

That would be a perfectly acceptable 2b too.

I don't think it's that hard to see, he did it last year in over 200 PAs and his minor league track record suggests it's a reasonable outcome. Sometimes there's a blip in a development curve.

He's another example of playing young guys. Flash talent but also sometimes big, extended downs.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#55 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:30 AM

I don't think it's that hard to see, he did it last year in over 200 PAs and his minor league track record suggests it's a reasonable outcome. Sometimes there's a blip in a development curve.

He's another example of playing young guys. Flash talent but also sometimes big, extended downs.

well, about a page up I basically said Play the young guys over and over......so I'm with that plan given where they are in the rebuild.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#56 mikelink45

mikelink45

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:34 AM

I am not ready to dump him, but I would love to see us bring up another young SS and let them take turns in the field and at the plate.  Give the "next SS" time to develop and let Polanco feel less pressure and see if he gets back to what we expected from him. 

#57 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:03 AM

He is basically the same hitter as last year, minus 1 single every 4 games (17 less singles). 

#58 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

He is basically the same hitter as last year, minus 1 single every 4 games (17 less singles). 

Well, those 17 hits kind of matter over half a season.....

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#59 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:26 AM

Significantly less power too, .146 iso vs .096.

His drop in iso probably correlates with his drop in babip too. But he has improved his k and bb rates. Some to like, some to be concerned about.

#60 Tomj14

Tomj14

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

Well, those 17 hits kind of matter over half a season.....

I agree, I was just saying he is basically the same player as last year in about the same amount of at bats. I don't think he is our future anything, except utility player.