Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Jorge Polanco

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:15 AM

This thread is more about his fielding than his hitting, which he doesn't do enough of.

Hence me saying that he is taking his struggles at the plate onto the field.

Without looking it up, it was right around game 40 that his season took an ugly turn. Out of the gate he was fine. Making strong contact, collecting hits. Making all the plays. But at some point, the hitting went south and the defense followed a week or so later.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#22 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:42 AM

Hence me saying that he is taking his struggles at the plate onto the field.

Without looking it up, it was right around game 40 that his season took an ugly turn. Out of the gate he was fine. Making strong contact, collecting hits. Making all the plays. But at some point, the hitting went south and the defense followed a week or so later.

I wonder if it might be personal issues. He did go on the bereavement list earlier this season.

• brvama likes this

#23 gman

gman

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:53 AM

If you look back you will see that his season fell apart at the point in time his grand father passed away. The person who raised him. It is very apparent that this badly affected his focus and subsequent results. Family deaths obviously affect people dfferently. It would probably be better if the team could have let him have a long term grieving period but MLB only allows a few days. Could they put him on the 60 day DL for mental anguish? Don't forget that Sano's daughter passed away last spring and probably impacted his 2016 season more than people are aware of.

Palanco may not be the player he is capable of for the rest of the season but long term he is going to be a very good player and a long time starter at second base for some major league team. Also obviously the Twins think enough of him to let him play through it.

Edited by gman, 15 July 2017 - 04:58 AM.

• Han Joelo, nicksaviking, brvama and 5 others like this

#24 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:13 AM

I'm not ready to give up on Polanco. He's shown too much upside in the past, but he may be hitting a sophomore slump. Frankly, I'd like to see the team deal away Adrianza, who doesn't seem to provide much, and give Engelb Vielma a shot at playing short for the rest of the season. His offense can't be much worse than what we're seeing from Polanco right now, but his defense is elite-level.

• Riverbrian and Oldgoat_MN like this

#25 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,797 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 09:57 AM

Play the young guys. Thru the good and bad. Play the young guys. This is a team in transition, play the young guys.
  • brvama, LA VIkes Fan, Teddy and 5 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#26 puckstopper1

puckstopper1

• Members
  • 231 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

I'm also not ready to give up on Polanco yet, but he is just a stop gap at SS.If you want better D with no stick, then Engelb Vielma is your guy.

That Twins 2nd baseman - #29 - he doesn't run, he "ca-rew-zes" - Earl Weaver

#27 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

It was the hope that he would develop, in the least, to be another Eduardo Escobar, a solid replacement/backup once you get the infield set, assuming that the Twins stick with Dozier and Gordon does make it here next season.

But not seeing it right now. I would continue to invest in Escobar as long as it is financially viable.

I wouldn't totally give up on Polanco. But you are out of options, I believe, on him...so you go figure if he stays...or you elt him walk...which is a problem the Twins may be facing more than not.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#28 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,923 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:43 AM

Polanco is way too young to give up on! He has always hit. He will most likely hit again. As for his defense. When you put a player in a position that his tools do not align with, you get what you deserve. He certainly seems more suited to second base. But I won't rehash that. Just because Molitor thinks he is a SS doesn't make him a good one. He could squeeze by in the position if one was willing to settle for a mediocre team. Btw, I don't consider his bat when I say this. SS is a position where you live and die by the glove. Hitting should be optional. If you rationalize a poor fielding SS, because of a good bat, it's akin to saying a lousy pitcher who can hit sure looks good in the lineup!
TwinsWorld. Where "Total System Failure" is not just another catchy slogan!

#29 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 10,616 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 10:56 AM

Speaking nothing of his defense, it seems to me the fringy top 100 prospects that initially bust but figure it out after their first team gives up on them are the guys that based their minor league success on plate discipline. Aaron Hicks, Robbie Grosman, JD Martinez.
  • USAFChief likes this

#30 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:36 AM

I love it. In one frustrating thread we have fans crushing the Twins for giving up on players too early. In this frustrating thread we have fans actively calling for us to give up on a talented young player.

We TD Twins fans certainly run the gamut of emotions and expectations!

Polanco isn't going anywhere and will be just fine. He will look even better at 2nd when we move on from Dozier. This kid can play.
  • brvama, Craig Arko, Danchat and 3 others like this

#31 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

I love it. In one frustrating thread we have fans crushing the Twins for giving up on players too early. In this frustrating thread we have fans actively calling for us to give up on a talented young player.

We TD Twins fans certainly run the gamut of emotions and expectations!

Polanco isn't going anywhere and will be just fine. He will look even better at his 2nd team when we move on from him.

FTFY.

#32 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

FTFY.

I

Well then that would work out perfectly. When he's an All-Star for another team our other type of TD malcontent can start a thread complaining we didn't keep him. Bitter fan circle of life.
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#33 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,299 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

Jorge reminds me of Kolten Wong. 

He puts the ball in play. Might be good enough to start... might be a back up. It's up to Jorge. 

However... It goes to show that thinking he could slide to 2B so we can comfortably trade Dozier from a position of strength was maybe a little premature. 

(That was not a comment that we shouldn't trade Dozier... because we still need pitching):)

I think Escobar should play more at this moment but I don't think Polanco should collect dust on the bench either. Tomorrow is another day. 

• Twodogs and Tomj14 like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#34 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,906 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:31 PM

Escobar has been the Twins' SS--it didn't work out.  That is why Polanco is the SS! Barring an acquistiion of another placeholder, the Twins should promote Gordon this September for a one month tryout.  Even a failure by Gordon will be useful--both Gordon and the Twins will see "what needs to happen" for Gordon to become "the fixture" at SS that Gordon was planned to become.

#35 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,462 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

Speaking nothing of his defense, it seems to me the fringy top 100 prospects that initially bust but figure it out after their first team gives up on them are the guys that based their minor league success on plate discipline. Aaron Hicks, Robbie Grosman, JD Martinez.

Possibly true, but it's defense we need from Polanco right now. Two of those other three you mentioned are defensive liabilities (to put it politely).

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#36 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 816 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 01:54 PM

a 39-year-old nick punto can probably still pick it as well as anybody ...

• PDX Twin likes this

#37 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

Polanco looked fine, spectacular even, for the first quarter or whatever. I have no way of pulling up defensive stats from a partial season but nearly everyone here was raving about how smooth he looked despite a few short throws, which seemed to be getting better.

For what it is worth, Polanco made his 4th error on June 3rd. Meaning that in the 44 games he played before that he made 3 and in the 28 since (and including) June 3, he's made 8. Note: those numbers are actually more tilted. I just added his games played in April and May and then June and July. So, he possibly made 3 errors in 46 games and 8 in 26. Clearly, a line of demarcation to his season.

I don't think he all of a sudden forgot how to catch the ball. Maybe it's his personal loss. Maybe he just can't separate defense from offense. I don't know. The Twins do employ a sports psycologist.

It's not a problem the Twins can ignore. They need to do something. What exactly that is, I am really not sure.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 15 July 2017 - 03:13 PM.

• Hosken Bombo Disco, Deduno Abides and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#38 Joe A. Preusser

Joe A. Preusser

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

Looked awesome in the field tonight? Where are all the SSS, "what hàve you done for me lately" folks tonight? Now he's a future HOFer I'd guess?
  • Deduno Abides and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#39 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

Where are all the SSS, "what hàve you done for me lately" folks tonight?

I guess that's you tonight. Go figure.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#40 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 16 July 2017 - 01:42 AM

a 39-year-old nick punto can probably still pick it as well as anybody ...

Polanco is Nick Punto circa 2007 at the plate right now. I have zero confidence that he can get a hit right now (tonight's bunt not withstanding). And more importantly, neither does he. He desperately needs a couple weeks in the minors. Find an injury ASAP.