Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Jorge Polanco

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 Suicide Skweez

Suicide Skweez

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:49 PM

Polanco has spent parts of 3 or so seasons in the majors now and we have only seen his performance regress as he gets further into his career. He's on a similar trajectory to that of Danny Santana, who had proven to be expendable.

He leads the team in errors (although SS is a more error prone position) and has the worst fielding pct on the team outside of Robbie Grossman, which is not saying much. Although he got off to a solid start this season in the field, he has started trending back to what we all expected him to be in the field; a liability. His preparation and set-up for ground balls is downright lackadaisical and its visible to anyone who's coached or played short at a competitive level. His arm is just fine, but his footwork stinks and hands are even worse.

Plus fielding shortstops are vital to a good team, but even Polanco's performance would be slightly easier to muster if he was producing at a high level at the plate. Well he's doing just the opposite! Lowest OBP on the team, average that's soon to dip below .220, and he's providing zero power. No plan of attack, looks slightly lost up there (that's being generous), and he's either making quiet outs or striking out.

Now, numbers would indicate Buxton has shown similar struggles at the plate, but his situation is different in so many ways...

1) He's a hands-down a gold glover.

2) Has trending upwards in just about every offensive aspect

3) Still extremely young and has a lot more development left in him (he will figure it out).

4) Is emerging into a leader. More lead by example now but is growing into a more vocal role.

Polanco is struggling big time, is pretty much who he is by this point in his career, and displays zero leadership abilities that makes him with keeping around as a regular in the lineup. They could simply wait it out until Gordon is ready and stick with Polanco, but I don't think they can afford to because of how much Polanco hurts the team.

So alternatives...

A- Put Escobar at SS until Nick Gordon is ready to stick (figure anytime in between September and mid-summer next year)

B- Call Nick Gordon up if you think he's close to ready and take a chance knowing that he could have success and stick right away, and even if he likely has some growing pains, knowing he's ready to take on the challenge and work through them as he finds his way in the bigs.

C- Leverage a minor trade without mortgaging big-time prospects and find a servicable interim shortstop. 

D- Not a huge fan of this, but maybe use a platoon system if need be.

Sorry for the lengthy write-up, but I think it's certainly a relevant topic to be discussing. What do yall think? 

Edited by Suicide Skweez, 14 July 2017 - 07:50 PM.

• Oldgoat_MN, jun and PDX Twin like this

#2 twinsbaby

twinsbaby

• Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:56 PM

I already said Twins need to DFA him last year, his defense would kill this team in his entire career and his offense couldn't sustain his defense.

• Suicide Skweez likes this

#3 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,438 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

Going into today, Polanco has been the epitome of league average defense shortstop.

779 RZR (15th)

+1 DRS (tied for 12th)

And for those who prefer UZR, which I don't at this point of the season,  -0.2 (17th)

Edited by jimmer, 14 July 2017 - 07:58 PM.

#4 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:02 PM

According to the tweets, Polanco booted a double play grounder which ignited the Houston rally. Polanco had a nice start but he has been poor for a while now. I'm done with him. Escobar can start at short and Polanco can be the reserve.
  • jun, adorduan and PDX Twin like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#5 jimmer

jimmer

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 8,438 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:11 PM

According to the tweets, Polanco booted a double play grounder which ignited the Houston rally. Polanco had a nice start but he has been poor for a while now. I'm done with him. Escobar can start at short and Polanco can be the reserve.

Yup, he made an error like all players do, but the pitchers buckled afterwards and that's on them.

• Oldgoat_MN, h2oface, Danchat and 1 other like this

#6 Bill Brown69

Bill Brown69

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

Polanco is going through a slump/adjustment period much the same as Kepler did last summer/fall. I am not worried about his long term production. Defensively he has work to do, but he was pretty good early so I think with maturity he could stick at short, although 2nd might be a better fit for him.

I for one am glad that we didn't give up on Kepler last year and I hope they don't give up on Polanco yet.

• Han Joelo, gil4, Riverbrian and 2 others like this

#7 Suicide Skweez

Suicide Skweez

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:23 PM

Yup, he made an error like all players do, but the pitchers buckled afterwards and that's on them.

Despite a miraculous run of 50 games, if you think Polanco is going to be a league average shortstop going forward your crazy. I could see him averaging out to be a a .250/.320/.710 hitter with no power, but that's not enough to make him a worthy regular in the lineup for any major league ball club considering his fielding. His ceiling is a utility player but most utility players bring the glove, so not a particularly valuable one.

Edited by Suicide Skweez, 14 July 2017 - 08:24 PM.

• jun likes this

#8 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

Despite a miraculous run of 50 games, if you think Polanco is going to be a league average shortstop going forward your crazy. I could see him averaging out to be a a .250/.320/.710 hitter with no power, but that's not enough to make him a worthy regular in the lineup for any major league ball club considering his fielding. His ceiling is a utility player but most utility players bring the glove, so not a particularly valuable one.

No, that is not his ceiling.

I do not work with the Pohlads or the FO. The above is my opinion only and not meant to be taken as factual.

#9 Shaitan

Shaitan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:52 PM

Young players have ups and downs. Even most established veterans are streaky. It'll play out with time.

• Riverbrian likes this

#10 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,057 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:53 PM

When a lot of folks were talking with great concern about his defense before the season started.

It was my opinion that it was his bat that would make or break him. I still feel that way. 

The error against Houston was a bad one but tomorrow is another day. He's not Elite at the position but he is capable of doing a decent job. 

However... it remains his bat that will keep him in the majors or out of the majors. And to that... I say he is still young... let's see what happens. 

• brvama, DocBauer and KidBro like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#11 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,387 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:59 PM

Except...he is young and learning and going through growing pains. This is to be unexpected for a young player getting his first real playing time?

He got a couple cups of coffee before a semi regular shot last half of last season at SS, which he hadn't played the entire season before then.

I'm sorry, but by this logic, any player 25ish who isn't playing at an elite level should just be cut loose.
  • brvama, Joe A. Preusser, SF Twins Fan and 2 others like this

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#12 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:19 PM

It seems likely to me that his poor hitting is affecting his fielding. Veteran players can usually seperate the two. Greg Gagne, for instance.

As for Polanco's future: some of you need to remember that he turned 24 last week and has basically one season worth of at bats.
  • brvama, Otwins, Joe A. Preusser and 3 others like this

#13 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:14 PM

It seems likely to me that his poor hitting is affecting his fielding. Veteran players can usually seperate the two. Greg Gagne, for instance.
As for Polanco's future: some of you need to remember that he turned 24 last week and has basically one season worth of at bats.

This thread is more about his fielding than his hitting, which he doesn't do enough of.

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#14 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 17,827 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

I'll be disappointed if he's the starting SS next year.

Iffy defense at best. Little power, so offense tied to a lot of singles, which is always a difficult path to navigate.

What is it we hope for here, besides a placeholder?
  • PDX Twin likes this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#15 drew_7726

drew_7726

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:03 PM

Anyone think the jays would trade Stroman for Polanco, Rosario, Stewart, and Palka

#16 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,143 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:18 PM

Anyone think the jays would trade Stroman for Polanco, Rosario, Stewart, and Palka

Probably not

• old nurse likes this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#17 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 12:36 AM

He's 0 for his last 18, 1 for his last 31 and single-handedly torpedoed any chance we had tonight with a brutal error. I certainly don't want to lose him for nothing, but he's totally lost at the plate right now, and his defense has been regressing badly the last several weeks. They need to invent an injury and get him a DL stint followed by a long rehab at AAA. In the meantime, you just have to bench him for Escobar/Adrianza. 

Edited by howeda7, 15 July 2017 - 12:42 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#18 RaoulDuke

RaoulDuke

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 02:22 AM

I think Polanco is an early version of Escobar.Ok MLB bat with some occasional pop, passable defense multiple places in short spurts.Great utility mediocre starter.

If he could fetch pitching in a trade return they would be wise to do it.Escobar netted the White Sox Liriano in a bad state, Polanco is a better return so should command at least a decent pitcher if not one with real wildcard upside plus some flags. 

#19 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:44 AM

If Polanco could net me a Liriano type starter I would be estactic. 

#20 Dozier's Glorious Hair

Dozier's Glorious Hair

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:08 AM

Man, it's tough being a young player on this team. First Buxton gets the "get rid of him" treatment, now Polanco. It's a good thing Aaron Judge (who's over a year OLDER than Polanco) wasn't a Twin when he was struggling.

Patience, people. Please.

• brvama, Riverbrian, Oldgoat_MN and 3 others like this