Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cole Hamels availability ?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:47 PM

With Levine coming over from Texas and having a history with them does that make a Cole Hamels trade more likely?I just read here  https://www.mlbtrade...esias-hand.html  that Texas may make Hamels available and he has a contract through next year with an option year tacked on so he can be here through 2019.What pieces would we need to give up for him?I think something along the line of one of our top pitching prospects Romero or Gonsalves, Granite, Palacious and maybe Curtis or Reed or Bard.Maybe Garver could be included over another prospect as they may want a catcher if they trade their Catcher...

Edited by Brandon, 13 July 2017 - 10:47 PM.

#2 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:42 PM

You might as well throw Sano and Berrios in that deal.........
  • jun and Huddy like this

#3 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Baseball Games. Life is good!

• Members
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:50 PM

Absolutely love Cole Hamels. The guy should have his picture in the dictionary by the word 'workhorse'.

However, while it is a SSS (only 51.1 IP this year), he is currently sporting his highest walk rate and lowest K rate of his career. Oddly enough, his WHIP is still excellent, but that likely has something to do with his .223 BABIP.

The other 2 stats may be cause for concern, but his 2 starts since coming back from injury have been vintage Cole Hamels. I would be willing to take on that salary for what he is capable of providing. I don't think he's finished and I think the Rangers would be selling low at this point.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#4 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

If you gave up the equivalent of what Texas had to give up to get himand Diekman, it would be a good deal. The Pohlads would especially go for it becausePohlads love that player named cash.

#5 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:52 AM

If Texas is willing to trade Hammels when they have nearly the same number of wins as the Twins, that should tell you something.

Edited by yarnivek1972, 14 July 2017 - 06:59 AM.

#6 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

If Texas is willing to trade Hammels when they have nearly the same number of wins as the Twins, that should tell you something.

The link does say "if they don’t open the second half of the season with strong play."  So I don't think they would necessarily be willing to trade Hamels today, with their current record.

Also, the Rangers have a similar record as the Twins, but they may have much worse playoff odds thanks to their division, as illustrated by the Fangraphs "coin flip mode" playoff odds:

http://www.fangraphs...iv&date=current

Actual projections / season to date stats seem to favor the Rangers, of course, although they involve quite a bit of subjectivity.

#7 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

Interestingly I've read the Rangers want to keep their assets, in an attempt to convince Otani that they are a good team he should join. I don't have a strong opinion (shocking!) on Hamels, as I haven't paid attn to him in a couple years.

• birdwatcher likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#8 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:41 AM

Rangers have under-performed so far.  Likely they stick with who they have and see what happens.  They have a shot at the wild card.

#9 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

This was written early this year:

http://www.fangraphs...med-for-a-fall/

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,698 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Why did he miss two months of the season? 

#11 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,705 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

He had an ouchie.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,497 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

Oblique strain.

http://www.cbssports...oblique-strain/

#13 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,417 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hamels is 33, has been in the decline the last 3 seasons and is owed at least $30M for 1 season. 

No need to. 

This team needs to be after young controllable talent, not expensive declining pitchers.

• wsnydes likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#14 clone52

clone52

• Members
  • 282 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:14 PM

Hamels is 33, has been in the decline the last 3 seasons and is owed at least $30M for 1 season. 

No need to. 

This team needs to be after young controllable talent, not expensive declining pitchers.

I don't want Cole Hamels, but if you consider his last 3 seasons a decline, I think 99% of major leagues would take that kind of decline.  This year looks bad but it might be injury related.

And no, he is note owed $30.  He is owed $23 million in 2018 and most likely $20 million team option in 2019.

I really wanted him when he was with the Phillies, but I'd pass on him now.  I'm on the Sonny Gray bandwagon.

#15 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,010 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:49 PM

It tells me that they're in the same division as the Astros.

#16 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,417 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

I don't want Cole Hamels, but if you consider his last 3 seasons a decline, I think 99% of major leagues would take that kind of decline.  This year looks bad but it might be injury related.

And no, he is note owed $30.  He is owed $23 million in 2018 and most likely $20 million team option in 2019.

He has a $6M or so buyout.The least amount he is owed is $29.some million.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#17 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

Yeah no thanks. Doesn't fit the time frame.

#18 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:45 PM

Assuming Hamels is worth 1.5 WAR the rest of the year and 3.5 WAR next year, at roughly $10M per win, that's a value of $50M. He's owed about $11M the rest of this year, $22.5M next year's, and he has a $6M buyout for 2019, for an aggregate of about $40M, or about $10M less than the projected value. According to Fangraphs, a 45 FV hitter prospect was worth about $11M at the beginning of this year. In November, Fangraphs assessed Garver, Javier and Rortvedt as 45 FV batters. Yeah, I'd trade one of them for Hamels.

Edited by Deduno Abides, 14 July 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,115 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:11 PM

Assuming Hamels is worth 1.5 WAR the rest of the year and 3.5 WAR next year, at roughly $10M per win, that's a value of $50M. He's owed about $11M the rest of this year, $22.5M next year's, and he has a $6M buyout for 2019, for an aggregate of about $40M, or about $10M less than the projected value. According to Fangraphs, a 45 FV hitter prospect was worth about $11M at the beginning of this year. In November, Fangraphs assessed Garver, Javier and Rortvedt as 45 FV batters. Yeah, I'd trade one of them for Hamels.

I doubt he is a 3.5 WAR player next year. And if he is, that buyout is not happening, unless it is his option, even then... But, I appreciate your perspective, we just disagree.

#20 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:52 PM

I doubt he is a 3.5 WAR player next year. And if he is, that buyout is not happening, unless it is his option, even then... But, I appreciate your perspective, we just disagree.

It's OK. My guess is that the Rangers would also disagree with trading Hamels for Garver.
Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.