Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Quintana to the Cubs

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#41 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,331 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:15 PM

The Sox are absolutely stacked with rotation potential now. Wow.

Kopech and Cease alone make me drool.

And both have a higher chance of becoming pen arms than starters.

• gunnarthor, nicksaviking, old nurse and 1 other like this

#42 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

wow, now the White Sox have 9 prospects on the MLB.com top 100 list, with the last being #68! that's crazy, they have the #1 prospect and 5 in the top 30. Baseball America is a little less friendly to them but on their midseason update this still puts 7 in the top 100. This reminds me of the Astros and the Cubs farm systems a few years ago, I believe they had 8 each on the top 100 list, we also had 7 at one point.

Twins systems were just as lauded. BP gave them 8 in a couple years, I believe Klaw gave them even more. Some of their prospects will work out, some won't. Right now, both Gioltio and Fullmer have era's over 5.00 in AAA. Kopech is struggling with his control. There's a lot of talent in the system but lot of risk too.  I probably like Cease a bit more than some of the arms ranked above him.  

• nicksaviking, Hosken Bombo Disco and dbminn like this

#43 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

Twins systems were just as lauded. BP gave them 8 in a couple years, I believe Klaw gave them even more. Some of their prospects will work out, some won't. Right now, both Gioltio and Fullmer have era's over 5.00 in AAA. Kopech is struggling with his control. There's a lot of talent in the system but lot of risk too.  I probably like Cease a bit more than some of the arms ranked above him.  

And Moncada has contact issues. He's got more strikeouts in AAA than Buxton has this year.

#44 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:34 PM

Before we go ripping the Twins for not rebuilding through trades like this, let's remember the Twins never had cost controlled above average starters like Sale and Quintana to pull this off.  

• jorgenswest, birdwatcher, brvama and 7 others like this

#45 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 354 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:36 PM

I'd trade Santana in a heartbeat for something close to this haul. I don't think he has the value of Quintana but maybe something close.

• gman likes this

#46 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,768 posts

And both have a higher chance of becoming pen arms than starters.

I like the optimism, er pessimism?

Here's hoping for a future of Schadenfreude with the White Sox!

#47 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,286 posts

It's absolutely bizarre how the White Sox were never able to compete with Sale, Quintana, and the host of other good pitchers who came through the past several years. Good on them. Looks like a good deal for both teams.
  • SwainZag and bluechipper like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#48 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

The only significant asset the Twins could have moved was Perkins.

#49 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:38 PM

Let's also remember that for all the griping we have here, the White Sox are now on their 5th straight losing season so I'm not sure it's fair to suggest that they are rebuilding better than the Twins.

• Dman, Hosken Bombo Disco, dbminn and 1 other like this

#50 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

Bully for both teams.  Still, seems like trying to build a team around a core of Sale, Quintana, and Eaton wasn't such a bad thing, either.  As a Twins and Johan Santana fan, I kind of feel like having an ace in the hand is better than three in the bush (leagues.)

Edited by Han Joelo, 13 July 2017 - 12:39 PM.

• birdwatcher, Oldgoat_MN, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#51 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,770 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

The only significant asset the Twins could have moved was Perkins.

Span was a major asset, it didn't work out. Dozier and Santana are arguably in that category as well. 

• jorgenswest likes this

#52 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

White Sox now have, per BA midseason prospect rankings, the #1, #5, #20, #45, #59, #75 and #83 prospects.

We have 2 top 100 guys?

And that doeant even include Chicago's Alec Hansen, who was top 50 in BPs midseason list but somehow missed BAs top 100. Nor does it include Burger, their 1st round pick this year who will likely be their 3B in 2019.

Sure, but there is still a ton of risk buried in those rankings. They have had 4 top-11 picks and made 3 blockbuster trades, and they have focused 75% of the return on the riskiest, most high-variance asset in baseball - young pitching. Most analysis of prospect rankings has concluded that a pitcher will produce 25% to 50% less value over their team control than an equivalently ranked hitter. It seems like every other year there is talk about an amazing future pitching rotation that is working up through some teams minor league system, and over and over that has either failed to produce or fizzled out early.

And their two best position players have significant risks in their own right. Yes, Moncada is the #1 prospect in baseball, but he is no Kris Bryant or Corey Seager. He is striking out over 33% of the time in AAA and may or may not stay in the infield. Jimenez is also very good, but he is just in high-A and strickly a corner outfielder. If his bat fails to project for whatever reason - lack of contact, power, walks or whatever, then he is just a guy, not a GUY.

So maybe this all is just my pro-Twins thinking, but I really do think that the White Sox are on the road towards having an 80-85 win team four years that is good at piching but with mediocre hitting. At this point I don't see a future juggernaut. That said, they do have a couple more players to trade, as well as draft and free agency.

• birdwatcher and brvama like this

#53 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,820 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

Sure, but there is still a ton of risk buried in those rankings. They have had 4 top-11 picks and made 3 blockbuster trades, and they have focused 75% of the return on the riskiest, most high-variance asset in baseball - young pitching. Most analysis of prospect rankings has concluded that a pitcher will produce 25% to 50% less value over their team control than an equivalently ranked hitter. It seems like every other year there is talk about an amazing future pitching rotation that is working up through some teams minor league system, and over and over that has either failed to produce or fizzled out early.

And their two best position players have significant risks in their own right. Yes, Moncada is the #1 prospect in baseball, but he is no Kris Bryant or Corey Seager. He is striking out over 33% of the time in AAA and may or may not stay in the infield. Jimenez is also very good, but he is just in high-A and strickly a corner outfielder. If his bat fails to project for whatever reason - lack of contact, power, walks or whatever, then he is just a guy, not a GUY.

So maybe this all is just my pro-Twins thinking, but I really do think that the White Sox are on the road towards having an 80-85 win team four years that is good at piching but with mediocre hitting. At this point I don't see a future juggernaut. That said, they do have a couple more players to trade, as well as draft and free agency.

As opposed to a 80-85 TWins team that is good at hitting, but bad at pitching?

• sftwinsfan likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#54 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:04 PM

Kind of like what they had, only in the future.  Maybe.

• birdwatcher and markos like this

#55 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:20 PM

Sure, but there is still a ton of risk buried in those rankings.

Of course there is, one only needs to look at the prospect rating for a certain fleet footed CF as a cautionary tale of counting too much on how well prospect rating translate to MLB performance.

But it seems odd many people glorified the Twins former FO for the Twins high prospect rating when they had them and now want to give warnings and/or push aside the farm system the W Sox has assembled.

• Kwak, Sconnie and adorduan like this

#56 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,680 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:38 PM

http://www.fangraphs...-jose-quintana/

#57 mazeville

mazeville

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

The White Sox had many more tradeable players while still being a bad team than the Twins did though. It's harder to tear it down when there's not much to tear down.

I get that. Different situations. But the Twins didn't even make a cursory effort. 

• wsnydes likes this

#58 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:41 PM

The thing about the Whitesox farm is their depth is still not there. They will have to supplement their roster significantly when these guys come up over the next few years. Though they sure are making the most of thier assets in trades for prospects.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#59 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,768 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

*****Moderator Note******

Enough of the negativity/positivity stuff let's stay on topic.

• SF Twins Fan likes this

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,820 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

The thing about the Whitesox farm is their depth is still not there. They will have to supplement their roster significantly when these guys come up over the next few years. Though they sure are making the most of thier assets in trades for prospects.

They have 2-4 years to build up depth behind those guys before they are where the Twins are now...

• wsnydes likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.