Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Quintana to the Cubs

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#181 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

Thought this was interesting. According to Bob Nightingale, the Cubs first target was Michael Fulmer.

They recently tried to pry All-Star Michael Fulmer away from the Detroit Tigers, but the Tigers had no interest, unless they Cubs were willing to trade infielders Javy Baez and Ian Happ.

Once that trade was dead on arrival, the Cubs and White Sox became engaged in talks on Sunday, with a deal done within 48 hours.

https://www.usatoday...ade/476409001/#

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#182 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:55 PM

You realize you just said that there is a very strong correlation to success in the rankings. You need to look at the population to understand the process, not each item in the population. 

Prove your claim. Success at predicting should be greater than 50/50.

#183 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,257 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

Prove your claim. Success at predicting should be greater than 50/50.

I'm really not interested in a pissing contest, frankly. And, I don't really want to dig around the internet to find the data right now. If you are interested, go for it, since it's easy to find stuff on the internet, apparently.

It just isn't important to me, but I wanted you to know I wasn't ignoring you or your request. I'm just not interested in this line of discussion.

• jimmer likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#184 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,510 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:41 PM

Think about where the geniuses kept ranking Buxton ;-)

I still think they could be right (if he stays healthy, which is a big if.)

#185 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,166 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:43 PM

I still think they could be right (if he stays healthy, which is a big if.)

I admire your optimism

#186 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,450 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:39 PM

I still fully expect Buxton to hit.
The guy is 23 years old. Its far from determined how he'll hit.

#187 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

I don't agree it increases Santana's value.

They got about what was predicted, based on the excess value of his small contract, and what prospects are worth.

Supply and demand comes into play here too, Quintana is off the market, get a few other starters traded, all of a sudden there is more demand for Ervin.

Only time will tell.

#188 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:36 AM

Supply and demand comes into play here too, Quintana is off the market, get a few other starters traded, all of a sudden there is more demand for Ervin.

But at that point, most contenders will have satisfied their need for SP reinforcements. Particularly the ones that are aggressive enough to meet asking prices.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#189 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,257 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

Only time will tell.

You realize demand decreases, and the ones willing to pay a higher price are out, right?

edit: ninja'd!

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#190 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

You realize demand decreases, and the ones willing to pay a higher price are out, right?

Sure, once you hit the 31st the most rabid, desperate buyers are off the market, but we still have two weeks until then. With two wild card spots in each division, a lot of teams are still in the hunt but are waiting to see how their teams do in the next 10 days, before they decide to buyers or sellers.

I personally don't think that Santana will be traded but if teams are desperate, if they think their window is now, who knows what kind of deal they'll offer?It sure doesn't hurt Santana's value when another starter is sold for a big prospect package.

Only time will tell.