Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Quintana to the Cubs

• Please log in to reply
189 replies to this topic

#1 redstorm

redstorm

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:34 AM

Cubs acquire Jose Quintana from WhiteSox for Eloy Jiménez, Dylan Cease, Matt Rose and Bryant Flete.

Pretty high price tag, Cubs top two prospects in Jiménez and Cease.

• gunnarthor likes this

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,070 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

I often get asked what a comparable Twins deal might be...

The Twins don't have a prospect that's as highly touted as Eloy Jimenez, unless you want to say Byron Buxton.

So, the best I could come up with is:

Nick Gordon, Fernando Romero, Zander Wiel and Nelson Molina. 

• markos, nytwinsfan and Deduno Abides like this

#3 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

Interesting that the White Sox would work with the Cubs like this. 

The White Sox are almost looking like an Astros-like rebuild with the talent they now have in their pipeline.

• Dman and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#4 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Twins couldn't match that, no way.

• nicksaviking, snepp, markos and 5 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#5 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 8,843 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Cubs are loaded with young talent. They can easily afford this for a very good low cost pitcher and barely miss a beat. I think Cease could be special eventually though. Good job by the Cubs. Very good trade for them.
  • birdwatcher and Vanimal46 like this

#6 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

Twins couldn't match that, no way.

Yep. More evidence to my contention that the Twins just can't compete for elite players on the trade market right now.

• birdwatcher, mikelink45, KGB and 4 others like this

#7 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 09:59 AM

As a Cubs fan, I'll gladly take this deal and with the control they have over Quintana and the price tag this is much easier to swallow than trading Torres, McKinney for 3 months of Chapman.

The Cubs still have Jeimer Candelerio who's not a slouch either and has no positional availability on the club as well.

Edited by Bob Sacamento, 13 July 2017 - 10:35 AM.

• Mike Sixel and Tom Froemming like this

#8 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,817 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

As a Cubs fan, I'll gladly take this deal and with the control they have over Quintana and the price tag this is much easier to swallow than trading Torres, McKinney for 3 months of Chapman.

Tough pill to swallow, but they have depth, they are young, and they have control of Quintana. Much better move than a ST rental, imo.

• dbminn likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#9 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:05 AM

Wow, nice work by the White Sox. Quintana is having his worst season and pitchers are always risky.

• nicksaviking, Dman, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#10 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

It might be that this board underrates Quintana and his cheap contract. 

• Thrylos, Mike Sixel, nicksaviking and 8 others like this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#11 jud6312

jud6312

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 723 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:06 AM

The Sox are absolutely stacked with rotation potential now. Wow.

Kopech and Cease alone make me drool.

• birdwatcher likes this

#12 FunnyPenguin

FunnyPenguin

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 188 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:08 AM

A trade of this caliber would pretty much empty the middle and the top of the twins farm system of good talent.  Watch out for the Sox!

• mikelink45 and tarheeltwinsfan like this

#13 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:09 AM

It's crazy what good pitching goes for these days. Making that trade for the Twins basically wipes out our farm system above A ball, aside from relief pitchers and 1-2 borderline top 100 guys. Those remaining guys then pretty much have to succeed or the big league club would go a couple years without much support from the farm again. Big risk, but possibly still worth taking for a pitcher like that.

Edited by Taildragger8791, 13 July 2017 - 10:10 AM.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#14 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 7,939 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

So does this trade increase Santana's trade value or is he still not worth anything? 

• Thrylos, Cory Engelhardt, bizaff and 6 others like this

#15 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:14 AM

It's crazy what good pitching goes for these days. Making that trade for the Twins basically wipes out our farm system above A ball, aside from relief pitchers and 1-2 borderline top 100 guys. Those remaining guys then pretty much have to succeed or the big league club would go a couple years without much support from the farm again. Big risk, but possibly still worth taking for a pitcher like that.

Right now the big league club isn't getting any support from its rotation. At some point the Twins are going to have to make a big, risky move. I wouldn't have tried to win this bidding war but the Twins can't afford to back away from every potential trade target due to high prospect cost or every FA due to every too big contract.

• Mike Sixel, Hosken Bombo Disco and wsnydes like this

Is 2016 2017 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Looks like we will have to wait another year until a good pitching prospect is actually blocked.

#16 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

OK....

Santana's available :)

• Mike Sixel, gil4, nicksaviking and 8 others like this

#17 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:17 AM

So does this trade increase Santana's trade value or is he still not worth anything? 

Quintana is 28 and has been a fair amount better than Santana and doesn't have damaged UCL (many years ago).

Santana's value remains the same. Maybe a top 50 prospect and a lesser prospect or two. Good return but not great especially for a team that needs pitching.

• Mike Sixel, mikelink45, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

#18 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,471 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

Theo traded prospects? 

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#19 KirbyDome89

KirbyDome89

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

In less than 2 years the Sox have put together an enviable group of SP prospects and rebuilt a farm system. The Twins haven't been able to put together even a mediocre amount of pitching talent in 6+ years....SAD

Oh, and are we still convinced that pitching isn't overpriced at the deadline?

• Mike Sixel, Dman, tarheeltwinsfan and 3 others like this

#20 Taildragger8791

Taildragger8791

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Right now the big league club isn't getting any support from its rotation. At some point the Twins are going to have to make a big, risky move. I wouldn't have tried to win this bidding war but the Twins can't afford to back away from every potential trade target due to high prospect cost or every FA due to every too big contract.

I don't disagree. The problem is, even though many here try to sugarcoat it, our farm system has fallen down a few pegs and we don't even have the ammunition to pull off a trade like this without emptying most of the pipeline for the next 2 years.  You better be sure it's the right move to get you deep into the playoffs or it'll hurt for a while.

• Mike Sixel, Loosey, mikelink45 and 2 others like this