Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Deadline Primer: Internal Options

john curtiss fernando romero stephen gonsalves nick gordon felix jorge
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

I checked again and, perhaps more importantly, you can outright a player (as I believe was the case for Melo) only once without his permission. The second time, in the example I tried, he has the right to choose free agency. That would put a real limit on a team's aspirations to move a player on and off the 40.

Never mind.

This is true, but also, the waiver period is actually only 72 hours for players on optional assignment to the minors, like Melotakis was.

I still think that waivers might "reset" once a player is re-added to the 40-man, but it is mostly a moot point. It would really only impact a certain class of player (making a decent salary but with less than 5 years service time, like Milone last year, so they can't refuse the assignment without forfeiting their salary). And if such a player clears waivers once, he would probably be likely to clear again. So it doesn't really matter if the team can skip waivers on him the second time.

#22 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,884 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:10 PM

This is true, but also, the waiver period is actually only 72 hours for players on optional assignment to the minors, like Melotakis was.

I still think that waivers might "reset" once a player is re-added to the 40-man, but it is mostly a moot point. It would really only impact a certain class of player (making a decent salary but with less than 5 years service time, like Milone last year, so they can't refuse the assignment without forfeiting their salary). And if such a player clears waivers once, he would probably be likely to clear again. So it doesn't really matter if the team can skip waivers on him the second time.

But then anopther team can claim him for a 40-man spot, and almost immediately ask waivers, sending him to their own minor league system. 

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,744 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

But then anopther team can claim him for a 40-man spot, and almost immediately ask waivers, sending him to their own minor league system.

But then they would be responsible for the player's salary. I limited that paragraph to guys like Milone last year, and no one was going to claim him at that price if he wasn't performing -- and if he was performing, obviously the Twins wouldn't be sending him to the minors!

#24 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:33 PM

Realistically, I don't think they're going tonbe hanging around with Cleveland much longer. I think it would be a good idea to get some of the guys mentioned, like Garver and Romero, a taste of the big club. If they happen to perform and help the club win some games, its gravy.

#25 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:08 AM

Gee will be called up.  He is stretched out now with a 0.00 ERA, and he can opt out of the contract tomorrow if he wants. Someone else would pick him up, so he only stays in the minors for the Twins longer with a very shiny promise from the Twins. With the Twins pitching situation being what it is, the Twins would be fools to play it that way and keep him down any longer.

Colon will also be with the team, though probably not quite so quickly.

Those are the two internal options who have a realistic chance of making a difference. The difference Colon would make at this point might be more as a mentor -- and I don't want to diminish that value as his presence can only help the team.

Edited by Doomtints, 14 July 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:29 AM

Gee will be called up.  He is stretched out now with a 0.00 ERA, and he can opt out of the contract tomorrow if he wants. Someone else would pick him up, so he only stays in the minors for the Twins longer with a very shiny promise from the Twins. With the Twins pitching situation being what it is, the Twins would be fools to play it that way and keep him down any longer.

Colon will also be with the team, though probably not quite so quickly.

Those are the two internal options who have a realistic chance of making a difference. The difference Colon would make at this point might be more as a mentor -- and I don't want to diminish that value as his presence can only help the team.

who is he mentoring? And isn't Santana, Belisle, Breslow, Hughes, Perkins enough mentors?

I mean, really, which young SP needs mentoring? And how many mentors does he need?

Are you sure his presence can only help the team? It isn't possible he is a bad pitcher now, and his presence will hurt the team? Do we know he's a great mentor or whatever?

Edited by Mike Sixel, 14 July 2017 - 09:32 AM.

• jimmer likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#27 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

Colon struggled a little yesterday and Gee has pitched well in two starts. I think Doomtints is right - Gee gets the start on 7/18 against the Yankees and Colon comes up when/if Gibson continues to struggle. 

• Vanimal46 likes this

#28 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:38 AM

We'll know soon. Haley is scheduled to start tonight and Gee tomorrow night according to the red Wings website. If they start, they won't be pitching against the Yankees Tuesday. If one of them is pulled from the rotation, that's your Tuesday starter. 

• Doomtints likes this

#29 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:35 AM

And isn't Santana, Belisle, Breslow, Hughes, Perkins enough mentors?

Statistical evidence suggests no.

#30 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:38 AM

Statistical evidence suggests no.

wut?

Berrios and Mejia aren't making progress? Or, what stats? Literally have no idea what that post means.

#31 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,410 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:19 AM

I doubt Colon was signed as any kind of "mentor."

He was signed because the Twins are desperate for starting pitching, and he was available cheap.  

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#32 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:50 AM

Colon was 15 - 8 with a 3.43 era last year, it's possible, more than likely a lot of it was smoke and mirrors, and moving to the Braves allowed basically the same hitters watch him all over again. It's possible that the smoke and mirrors works again for a couple of months in a new league with different hitters. He needs 8 wins to pass Marichal as the all time wins leader from Latin America. Holy crap if Colon won 8 games I would be ecstatic!! Maybe the rotation for the rest of the way could be
Santana
Berrios
Mejia
Gee
Colon
Gibson spotting up

Not much better, but for some reason it sounds better?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2018

• Members
  • 9,233 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:57 AM

And isn't Santana, Belisle, Breslow, Hughes, Perkins enough mentors?

Quick: Pick the one that does not belong in this group. 

Hint: Has a fork stuck in him

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:02 PM

Quick: Pick the one that does not belong in this group. 

Hint: Has a fork stuck in him

Doesn't mean he's not around, mentoring. Whatever, nitpicking the data adds nothing to the actual conversation.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 14 July 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#35 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:31 PM

I doubt Colon was signed as any kind of "mentor."

He was signed because the Twins are desperate for starting pitching, and he was available cheap.  

Then why didn't they pick up any other 8.00 ERA pitchers?

Edited by Doomtints, 14 July 2017 - 12:32 PM.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:33 PM

My guess is they don't think he's an 8 ERA pitcher going forward. If they did, no amount of mentoring would matter, would it?

• USAFChief and 70charger like this

#37 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,421 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

My guess is they don't think he's an 8 ERA pitcher going forward. If they did, no amount of mentoring would matter, would it?

Thanks for your guess.

#38 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 20,410 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:47 PM

Seriously?

He's had an ERA under 4, and a WHIP under 1.3, every year since 2011, except the first half of 2017.

So yeah, to echo Mike, they think there's a realistic chance he could help the Twins on the field.  Maybe he will, maybe he won't, but he's not around to mentor anybody.

• Mike Sixel and 70charger like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#39 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,298 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

If Colon was only signed as a mentor he wouldn't be in Rochester.

I do not work with the Pohlads or the FO. The above is my opinion only and not meant to be taken as factual.

Edited by Mr. Brooks, 14 July 2017 - 03:00 PM.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,841 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

If Colon was only signed as a mentor he wouldn't be in Rochester.

I do not work with the Pohlads or the FO. The above is my opinion only and not meant to be taken as factual.

Maybe he's working with Turley and, um, the other TOP prospects there?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john curtiss, fernando romero, stephen gonsalves, nick gordon, felix jorge