Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Deadline Primer: Are Twins Buyers Or Sellers?

ervin santana brandon kintzler
  • Please log in to reply
174 replies to this topic

#161 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:58 PM

Escobar doesn't play SS anymore.

Ssshhhhh. Not so loud. Maybe the Astros won't notice.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#162 Minnesotatwins005

Minnesotatwins005

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

White Sox just acquired another top 100 prospect in the Frazier and Robertson deal. Top 50 to be exact in Rutherford. Now I believe that makes ten top 100 prospects. Talk about going from arguably the worst farm system in baseball to the best in less then a year. Impressive.

#163 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:48 PM

White Sox just acquired another top 100 prospect in the Frazier and Robertson deal. Top 50 to be exact in Rutherford. Now I believe that makes ten top 100 prospects. Talk about going from arguably the worst farm system in baseball to the best in less then a year. Impressive.

And/or awful.

• USAFChief likes this

#164 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

And/or awful.

are you implying they should have kept their big names and still been a sub .500 team for the fifth straight season? Seems like their GM is making some great decisions to me. I wish the Twins would have had these trade chits in 2012. We'd be better off today.

#165 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:16 PM

are you implying they should have kept their big names and still been a sub .500 team for the fifth straight season? Seems like their GM is making some great decisions to me. I wish the Twins would have had these trade chits in 2012. We'd be better off today.

Yes, I am suggesting that. The worse the White Sox are for longer the better the world will be.

• LaBombo, Oxtung and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#166 USAFChief

USAFChief

ɹǝɯoפ

• Twins Mods
  • 17,827 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

Speaking only for myself, those prospects haven't won a single MLB game yet.

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#167 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 11:53 PM

Speaking only for myself, those prospects haven't won a single MLB game yet.

but they might. What we do know is that Quintana, Sale, Frazier, etc... were not going to get it done and there is 5 years of proof.
  • wsnydes likes this

#168 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 12:06 AM

but they might. What we do know is that Quintana, Sale, Frazier, etc... were not going to get it done and there is 5 years of proof.

Not to mention Eaton, Robertson, Abreu, and other guys. What is unknown is why those guys never got it done. That team had as much talent as any team in the division, but were missing that extra something, or something was holding them back. 

• Oxtung, Willihammer and wsnydes like this

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#169 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,802 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 July 2017 - 05:52 AM

speaking of teams not known for developing players well...

#170 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

The fire sale Sox still have time to trade Clippard for another prospect.

#171 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

"WC" = Wild Card.

Dodgers, Nats, AZ, and Colorado are N/A.  I don't expect the Astros or Red Sox to be WC competition.

to be more clear...there aren't several strong AL teams that will need to be beaten to grab one of the two WC spots.

I misread. When I saw WC for whatever reason I thought it meant World Champion since that is the goal of competing. And based on that my point stands. AL wild card? Sure, we have a realistic shot at that. And due to the parity in the AL so do about eight other teams. Do I think we should trade away a good prospect to improve our chances to play one game for the privilege of being beaten up by the Astros in the ALDS? Nope.

• Craig Arko likes this

eiπ + 1 = 0

#172 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

So, now with 3 teams ahead of the Twins for the second wild card spot, is it officially time to go in to sell mode? There are two additional teams within one game of the Twins also.

SELL, SELL, SELL!!

#173 Oxtung

Oxtung

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 07:46 AM

So, now with 3 teams ahead of the Twins for the second wild card spot, is it officially time to go in to sell mode? There are two additional teams within one game of the Twins also.
SELL, SELL, SELL!!

The Twins aren't going to sell off assets just days after acquiring a pitcher. That move guaranteed no selling this season. Have to wait for the offseason now.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco, Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

#174 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:03 AM

5.5 games back of the division and 4 games back in the wild card. I think this series sweep clarifies things in a hurry. Both Cleveland and KC are smoking hot. I suggest the Twins trade Dozier,Santana and Kintzler.

#175 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 27 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

The Twins come out of the break with a very tough run. They first head to Houston for a three-game series against the American League's best team. We all remember what happened when the Astros came to Target Field. Minnesota follows up that challenge with a homestand against the Yankees and Tigers, two offenses capable of dismantling a weak pitching staff. Afterwards, it's off to Los Angeles for a daunting matchup against the NL's best team, the Dodgers.

It's entirely possible that the Twins find themselves well below .500 after running through this gauntlet. At that point, the decision sort of makes itself. So really, if the players in this group want to make a push, they hold their destiny in their own hands.

Stay Tuned

Revising this, the Twins went 4-8. They're two game below .500. 3rd place in the division (5.5 GB), 4 games back of the 2nd wild card spot, behind the Royals, M's, and Rays.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ervin santana, brandon kintzler