Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Kyle Gibson: Haven't We Seen Enough?

• Please log in to reply
141 replies to this topic

#1 ewen21

ewen21

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:56 PM

His career trajectory is similar to that of Nick Blackburn.  Can we do the same thing we did with Blackburn if Gibson's next outing resembles this last one?  Honestly, why even have him?

• mikelink45 likes this

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:08 PM

I'm hoping it's Gibson who goes when Colon is ready.

#3 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:25 PM

His career trajectory is similar to that of Nick Blackburn. Can we do the same thing we did with Blackburn if Gibson's next outing resembles this last one? Honestly, why even have him?

It's called a lack of better options. Maybe give Slegers and/or Hurlbut a shot but frankly not much suggests results better than Tepesch or Turley. I don't see Colon as a better option either.
  • birdwatcher, pbrezeasap, kab21 and 3 others like this

#4 Jaykay

Jaykay

#FreeGarver

• Members
  • 901 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:36 PM

It's called a lack of better options. Maybe give Slegers and/or Hurlbut a shot but frankly not much suggests results better than Tepesch or Turley. I don't see Colon as a better option either.

They should have bumped Gonsalves to AAA weeks ago. He should be knocking on the door right now. 

• mikelink45 likes this

#5 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:56 PM

I'm hoping it's Gibson who goes when Colon is ready.

But then who takes the open spot in the rotation? We can't just pray for rain.

• sftwinsfan likes this

#6 ewen21

ewen21

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

There are no better options?  I don't believe that is true.  We could probably spot start Duffey and get better results even though he is pitching badly as of late.

Whether or not there are not better options, this is a pitcher in what is supposed to be his prime, nearing an arbitration year, pitching to a well over 5.00 for the second year in a row.  FIND SOMEONE if there are no better options.  Just get rid of this guy

#7 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:24 PM

But then who takes the open spot in the rotation? We can't just pray for rain.

Santiago will be back from DL before a 5th starter is needed.

Berrios
Erv
Mejia
Colon
Santiago

I get that Santiago isn't a great option either, but he's still better than Gibson, IMO.

#8 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,873 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:25 PM

I don't see Colon as a better option either.

That might be true, but he's going to get a shot once he's ready.
He's not going to go ride buses in AAA at his age unless he's been promised a shot in the rotation.
  • Dozier's Glorious Hair and Respy like this

#9 ewen21

ewen21

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

Colon or anyone else simply needs to be a DIFFERENT option.  We don't need to worry about anyone being better because most AAAA arms can probably replace what Gibson has done this year.  Even if pitcher X does slightly worse than Gibson (and you can't do much worse), we rid ourselves of a horrible pitcher who has long outstayed his useful life.

#10 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• Members
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:17 PM

Santiago will be back from DL before a 5th starter is needed.

Berrios
Erv
Mejia
Colon
Santiago

I get that Santiago isn't a great option either, but he's still better than Gibson, IMO.

Are we sure he'll be ready by then? Do we even want him to be pitching this soon?

• pbrezeasap, Hosken Bombo Disco and David HK like this

#11 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:20 PM

That might be true, but he's going to get a shot once he's ready.
He's not going to go ride buses in AAA at his age unless he's been promised a shot in the rotation.

Most AAA road trips are by airplane. Obviously, a team like Rochester wouldn't fly to Buffalo, but they would to most of the cities in the IL.
  • blindeke and David HK like this

#12 Shaitan

Shaitan

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 445 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:39 PM

What has Duffy done to prove he's a better pitcher? The rate he's trending, he'll have a similar ERA soon.

• Dantes929, SwainZag, h2oface and 5 others like this

#13 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:54 PM

Gibson has been quite disappointing, but he was almost OK in June and the team is essentially doing tryouts already for one spot in the rotation. Over the next few weeks, there is a reasonable chance that Santana could be traded, leaving two open spots. Santiago has not proven that he's any better than Gibson, and now he's sounding questionable in the clubhouse. There's nobody in AAA who's shown real potential. Much as fans may want Gonsalves and Romero, they're pitching well in AA, but not exactly dominating, and the team isn't going to rush them. If Gibson were removed, that would make two open spots with the potential for a third if Santana is traded. It is unlikely any team wants to have tryouts for two spots in the rotation, especially when they may open another spot. Therefore, unless and until someone else steps up, the best choice is to hope for the best from Gibson.

Right now, someone else means Colon and Gee. It sure would have been nice if Meyer, May and Stewart (and Worley) had worked out.
  • pbrezeasap, SwainZag, LA VIkes Fan and 1 other like this
Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.

#14 Darius

Darius

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:00 PM

Santiago or Colon....yeah, that'll work out a whole lot better.
  • Jerr, Danchat, David HK and 1 other like this

#15 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:03 PM

I get that people want him gone, but lets look at our options at this point.  Santiago, suddenly can't even throw 90 mph.  He's been just as bad for a long time now.  Duffy was about just as bad last year and hasn't pitched well lately.  Colon was even worse this year in the NL.  You can say minor league pitchers x, y, and z can replace him and perform just as good, but in reality we've seen that is just not true with the guys we've thrown out there.  I would be fine with sending him to AAA again and trying other people, but if they fail even worse, such as Turley, I would rather have him to fall back on.  

Edited by sftwinsfan, 09 July 2017 - 07:04 PM.

• DJSim22, h2oface, DocBauer and 3 others like this

#16 Deduno Abides

Deduno Abides

Creedence

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • LocationUndirectional

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

Side comment: it's unclear to me what accomplishments Neil Allen has had, but one thing I note is that Gibson had a pretty good change and sinker in 2015 and that both are now scoring much worse. However, Gibson seems healthy. Allen had a reputation as a change expert. If Allen can't help Gibson, or at least keep him even with his past averageness, what good is Allen?

Side-side comment: Allen also had a reputation as the minor league pitcher guru for the Rays, but they don't seem to be missing him. Maybe his reputation was as undeserved as that Gonzaga coach hired for Gophers basketball several years ago. Gonzaga just got better after he left while the Gophers became terrible.
  • Vanimal46 and David HK like this
Trade deadline: surrender, surrender, but don't give yourself away.

#17 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:12 PM

Most AAA road trips are by airplane. Obviously, a team like Rochester wouldn't fly to Buffalo, but they would to most of the cities in the IL.

You mean, like this?

Indians Express Major League

• LimestoneBaggy, DJSim22, LaBombo and 4 others like this

#18 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 2,264 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:19 PM

Are we sure he'll be ready by then? Do we even want him to be pitching this soon?

I agree with this a ton.  I really, really wish that Gibby could have been kept in AAA for a good while longer, too.  Unfortunately, it seems injuries and schedule stuff cut his time there short, and he did seem to have a little more of an idea when he first came back, but....  here we go again.

Get Gee up, and Gibby back down, for a good stretch this time.  Then we can see what we may have in Gee, given a few starts, plug a hole there, and by the time he sinks slowly in the West, Colon may be ready for his fill-in shot.  I don't want to see Santiago either, for the rest of the season, unless absolutely necessary.  Santiago may have a physical issue this time, but Gibby's problem seems to be upstairs.  Both those guys could benefit by some extended AAA time to work out their respective issues outside the mlb pressure-cooker.

#19 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:26 PM

Gibson just doesn't have MLB-level command. It's a fairly straightforward problem and there's really no reason to think it's fixable at this point in his career.

• ashburyjohn, Jerr, Puckett34 and 4 others like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

#20 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 934 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:24 PM

I get the overall frustration. But prior to today, he'd had several decent starts in a row, and we don't have any better options. Santiago is not an upgrade, and it's unlikely Colon is either. If his first two starts after the break are like today, then you make a move. 

• birdwatcher, pbrezeasap, Dantes929 and 3 others like this