Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Twins International Signing Period Preview

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,992 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

People keep typing that:

a: who is trading away top end pitching under control for more than half a year

b: they couldn't manage to make one trade this off season despite having the worst SP in baseball and plenty of MIF depth.

Well, the hot rumors are Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray, and Gerrit Cole as far as pitchers with multiple years of control. There could be more as the hot stove heats up in July. 

It appeared that they had other things to focus on last off-season instead of trading for established starting pitching... Trying to trade away Dozier, building up the analytics team, etc. We'll see what they do this off-season and/or in July. 

• howieramone2 likes this

#22 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,425 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

The Twins could conceivably trade for $3.9M of penalized teams' pool money. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be in both teams' interests to swing a deal. Presumably, a cheating team could trade a couple mil in pool money in exchange for a prospect that might theoretically be valued at, say, a million in bonus money if they were in this year's draft and still have enough left over to sign a half-dozen low-level prospects they like. The compliant team would give up a prospect today but gain enough to maybe sign two of the better prospects in this year's deep pool. 

I wonder if this strategy is being executed by any organization.

• pbrezeasap and beckmt like this

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,253 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:20 AM

The Twins could conceivably trade for $3.9M of penalized teams' pool money. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be in both teams' interests to swing a deal. Presumably, a cheating team could trade a couple mil in pool money in exchange for a prospect that might theoretically be valued at, say, a million in bonus money if they were in this year's draft and still have enough left over to sign a half-dozen low-level prospects they like. The compliant team would give up a prospect today but gain enough to maybe sign two of the better prospects in this year's deep pool. 

I think the big hurdle is that most of the deals for the best players are already done, and you can't trade international money before July 2 (to keep bonus pools small, so they don't pay much to 1 player).

Me? I'd trade every player that I didn't like for international money, and sign 20 - 30 guys, and as many top guys as I could.

• pbrezeasap likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#24 pbrezeasap

pbrezeasap

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 12:48 PM

It sure seems like it would be a good way for the penalized teams to work the system and lessen the pain. It seems like a better penalty would have been to slash those teams pools.

• birdwatcher likes this

#25 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 04:00 PM

Well, the hot rumors are Jose Quintana, Sonny Gray, and Gerrit Cole as far as pitchers with multiple years of control. There could be more as the hot stove heats up in July.

It appeared that they had other things to focus on last off-season instead of trading for established starting pitching... Trying to trade away Dozier, building up the analytics team, etc. We'll see what they do this off-season and/or in July.

Apologies for going further off the threads rail, but Cole or Quintana would give this team another competent starter, and give them a nice 1-3 for a possible playoff series. A lefty to go with Santana and Berrios would be nice.

I wouldn't like the idea of giving away a haul of prospects....but either of those guys might be worth it.

Edited by Darius, 29 June 2017 - 04:01 PM.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 24,253 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 10:39 AM

KLAW has his top July 2 article up.

Says the Twins are linked to Jelfry Marte, who is a switch hitter, defense first SS. But, as with them all, it's hard to say much with certainty about power at this age....

• maxisagod likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#27 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

Stunner

• gunnarthor, nicksaviking, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this
Papers...business papers.

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:47 AM

Well, it's official. Nice to see the Twins are loading up on high toolsy guys.

• Mike Frasier Law and howieramone2 like this

#29 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

As for pitchers, Romero, Thorpe, Wells and Jorge were also low money signings the last few years. Ynoa was big money, I believe.

I wouldn't call these low money signings but it seems like pitching is best acquired in a quantity of mid-tier signings.

Ynoa - 800K

Thorpe -500K

Jorge - 330K

Romero - 260K

I really can't fault the Twins for their int'l signings since the Sano era of aggressiveness began. They have 4 pretty good pitching prospects listed above. It is still early but Javier, Minier and Diaz have done well enough so far. And I don't really care what position Marte plays. Optimistically he is 5 years away. A lot can happen in 5 years as far as team needs.

• birdwatcher, pbrezeasap, Mike Frasier Law and 3 others like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#30 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 09:28 AM

I also feel the Twins should actively market some mid level unneeded prospects to some of the orgainizations under penalty for their bonus pool money and use it to improve the depth and upside of the farm system.

• birdwatcher and pbrezeasap like this

#31 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 480 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 02 July 2017 - 11:59 AM

Acording to BA team tracker the Twins also signed an OF "Luis Baez, of, Dominican Republic, $300,000."  With them expected to sign Carlos Aguiar and Mauro Bonifacio in Aug. It sounds like they have their Outfield set.  

• gunnarthor, pbrezeasap and Mike Frasier Law like this

#32 Bob Sacamento

Bob Sacamento

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon
  • Twitter: tturbo420

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:09 PM

13. Jelfry Marte, ss, Dominican Republic

Born: March 27, 2001. Height: 5-10. Weight: 165. B-T: B-R.

While a lot of shortstops who will sign on July 2 are shortstops in name only, Marte is a safe bet to stay at the position. With a medium build and a thin frame, Marte is a bouncy, quick-twitch athlete with a chance to develop into a plus defensive shortstop. He’s a plus runner with slick actions in the field, where he does things with ease. He’s quick and agile with good body control and range to both sides, along with soft hands and an above-average, accurate arm. Marte has good defensive instincts but he has times where he plays out of control and tries to be too flashy rather than making the secure play.
Marte is a true shortstop and scouts who believed in his bat had him higher up their lists. However, many scouts questioned how much impact he will provide at the plate and predicted he would hit toward the bottom of a lineup. Those scouts had concerns about both Marte’s pure hitting ability and his power, though getting stronger could help him become a better hitter. He’s mostly a singles hitter for now with occasional gap power and could grow into a 6-10 home run hitter in his prime. Marte is a potential high stolen base threat who causes havoc on the bases with an aggressive style and sharp baserunning instincts for his age. Marte trains with Alberto Fana and is expected to be one of the highest paid players in the class with a bonus likely to be around $3 million. The Twins are linked to Marte

• gunnarthor, pbrezeasap and howieramone2 like this

#33 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

How do you pay 3M for a guy with questions on his bat? Any info on the other OF they signed?
  • sftwinsfan likes this

#34 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:30 PM

How do you pay 3M for a guy with questions on his bat? Any info on the other OF they signed?

They are really loading up on athletes (for better or worse).

• Mike Frasier Law likes this
Papers...business papers.

#35 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 3,465 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

They're 16 year olds. Literally every single one of them has question marks about their bats.

Would it help if maybe they went to college and won the triple crown in the nation's most competitive conference? Would that answe some of your questions? What's that? You hate that guy too?

Hmm. So if we aren't picking 24 year old Mike Trout with every pick it's all just wasted? Got it.
  • gunnarthor, howieramone2 and Huddy like this

#36 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,654 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

He's getting 3m because that's how much this market has valued him at.

• birdwatcher, pbrezeasap, Mike Frasier Law and 3 others like this

#37 AZTwin

AZTwin

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

He's getting 3m because that's how much this market has valued him at.

Exactly. That's my point. I highly doubt the Twins think he is a .240 or below hitter if they are shelling out that type of money

#38 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,992 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 03 July 2017 - 07:59 AM

Nothing makes you feel old as dirt than talking about players born in 2001.... Good lord. 

• Mike Frasier Law and Bob Sacamento like this

#39 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

• Mike Frasier Law and howieramone2 like this

#40 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,644 posts

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:27 AM

Looks like Jelfry Marte is official now... 

• Mike Frasier Law, Bob Sacamento, Dman and 1 other like this