Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Three-Bagger: TOS Troubles, Bad Belisle & Hello Hildy

matt belisle trevor hildenberger dillon gee
  • Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Highabove

Highabove

• 659 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 11:24 PM

"You have to perform and contribute to be a leader."

Tori Hunter 2015

Edited by Highabove, 28 June 2017 - 11:25 PM.

• nicksaviking likes this

#42 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,731 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:56 AM

"You have to perform and contribute to be a leader."

Tori Hunter 2015

I don't want to take away from the effort and hard work put in by the veteran leaders, but this has to be true.

And I can see how guys who may not be graced with superior athletic abilities tend to be better leaders, simply because they DO have to work harder and they DO have to have more attention to fundamentals, and obviously those are the examples most teams want to present to the younger guys.

But when it comes to the point that the leadership skills are buoying a career because the on field production isn't there, then you've become a coach with a mitt and I don't think a 25-man roster can support that.

#43 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,726 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

I think Hildenberger and Busenitz have already met the Breslow standard -- any lingering doubt about them being unable to replicate Breslow's recent results is almost certainly outweighed by both of them being optionable. Boshers too. So they can be rotated for a fresh arm as needed. This is only going to get more important as Hughes returns and we try to roster Haley again, without any SP upgrades on the immediate horizon (and more doubleheaders).

And again I dispute your assertion that Belisle has the ability to pitch effectively in the highest leverage situations, but give up multiple runs on a regular basis otherwise. His outings may have followed this general pattern so far in 2017, but that does not prove this specious ability exists. Relying on it to continue is a bad bet.

If they want to keep Belisle in the Breslow mop-up role for a bit, that's fine, but again I'd be ready to drop him for a fresh optionable arm as needed. Maybe Reed or Curtiss or even Romero for a look before the trade deadline.

You can dispute it, verbally or you can look it up yourself on any of the stats sites.  I keep forgetting that you have to footnote things on this site. The Breslow standard is will Molitor use the pitchers. 

Edited by The Wise One, 30 June 2017 - 08:20 PM.

#44 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,726 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:36 PM

Looks to me like both Hildenberger and Busenitz have the stuff to stick. Busenitz could develop into a classic closer with upper 90's heat if he learns to pick the 4 corners. Hildenberger could be a long-term mainstay of the Twins bullpen. His change-up is devastating, one of the best pitches I've seen on the Twins. He also threw a curve ball that bent laterally about three feet, starting at the knee of a righty, then hooking wide of the zone. He even threw a 94 mph overhand fastball. His control of the curve was erratic last night, but with more big league innings, that will improve. 

Never said that they did not have the stuff to stick.  Busenitz has a little FIP problem at the moment that has not effected the outcome as he has a sterling 97% LOB. . All small sample sizes and learning what not to do. Hildenberger has 3 innings at this point. Encouraging that he is still on thew 25 man rather than optioned for another.

• jimbo92107 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matt belisle, trevor hildenberger, dillon gee