Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Deduno, and, the Maestro?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 scottyc35

scottyc35

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:58 AM

Correct me if i'm mistaken, but hasn't Deduno thrown a quality start every time he's pitched for the Twins this year? And, do you think we should start calling Mastroianni "The Maestro"?
Idk, i'm not nearly as despondent about the future of this team as I was a couple months ago

#2 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,532 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

Denduno should make anyone a bit queasy. The guy has potential though, even if he is 28. He's got to locate that fastball. Personally, I'd keep him on the 40 man and option him to Rochester to start 2013, though I have no idea if he has options available and what not. If he gains a bit more control of that FB, he'd be the next RA Dickey.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:20 AM

Denduno should make anyone a bit queasy. The guy has potential though, even if he is 28. He's got to locate that fastball. Personally, I'd keep him on the 40 man and option him to Rochester to start 2013, though I have no idea if he has options available and what not. If he gains a bit more control of that FB, he'd be the next RA Dickey.

I don't think he has options. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

At this point, it might be worth keeping him on the ML squad just in case he figures it out. He has more value than Blackburn, that's for sure.

#4 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

Correct me if i'm mistaken, but hasn't Deduno thrown a quality start every time he's pitched for the Twins this year?

You are mistaken. Only 4 of his 7 starts have been Quality Starts. Most of the time it was due to not pitching 6+ innings. Only once has he given up more than 3 runs in an outing.

#5 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

Absolutely should keep Denduno with the big club. What do they have to lose?!?! Even if he only goes 5 innings, it's 5 innings the Blackburn/DeVries/et al aren't pitching.

#6 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

Now just get Liam up here to replace Blackie (racist?) and I can somewhat live with his patchword rotation.

#7 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:28 AM

Deduno = smoke and mirrors = ticking time bomb

Don't think long term, just enjoy the ride while it is happening

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

Now just get Liam up here to replace Blackie (racist?) and I can somewhat live with his patchword rotation.

Words I didn't expect to hear during the 2012 season. JR's "sign every scrub and see what they do in the minors" strategy has paid some unexpected dividends in the short term.

#9 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,326 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:45 AM

I was pleasantly surprised to see DeDuno bounce back from his last rough start, this guy has some serious stuff and I would love to see how he can improve his command a bit over the off-season and next spring while Anderson gets a little more time with him.

I still think alot of his success thus far is smoke and mirrors, but you can't deny that he has some impressive raw talent.

#10 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:49 AM

I was pleasantly surprised to see DeDuno bounce back from his last rough start, this guy has some serious stuff and I would love to see how he can improve his command a bit over the off-season and next spring while Anderson gets a little more time with him.

I still think alot of his success thus far is smoke and mirrors, but you can't deny that he has some impressive raw talent.

Yep. He walks too many guys to have prolonged success in the league but the raw talent is there and hopefully, he'll harness it.

The biggest question I have is whether an increase in control will make his fastball more hittable. There are downsides to knowing where the ball is going to end up over the plate.

#11 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Maybe Deduno is the new Daniel Cabrera?

#12 ShaeTwins

ShaeTwins

• Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:28 AM

Every single Deduno start I expect it to be a complete disaster...and with one exception, they really haven't been. While that's certainly shocking, if Deduno wants to and is going to defy his own numbers time after time, I'm definitely going to be okay with trotting him out there every five days.

#13 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:46 AM

Deduno in 2012? Yes please. Deduno in 2013? No thank you.

#14 davidjcampbell

davidjcampbell

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 08:53 AM

Yep. He walks too many guys to have prolonged success in the league but the raw talent is there and hopefully, he'll harness it.

I was at the game last night and in the top of the first when he walked Jackson and Fielder with not a hint of the strike zone or anything worth swinging at I thought the he was going to get rocked. Fortunately, the Tigers were not able to figure him out until the fourth time through the order and by then he was at ~90 pitches thrown he was going to get pulled soon no matter what happened.

I also agree with the sentiment that the Twins should ride this wave as long as possible. The alternatives are not all that attractive.

#15 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:25 AM

... to replace Blackie (racist?)

It wasn't racist until you thought it was and said it anyway.

#16 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 11:29 AM

Quote from Doumit in this strib article: http://www.startribu.../166056816.html

"
Monday was Ryan Doumit's first chance to catch Deduno in a game. "I've never seen anything like that before in my life," Doumit said. "I hope he stays with us. I know I never want to face him."

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,391 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

The catcher comments from Deduno are classic.

#18 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:31 PM

I'll admit - I'm a little giddy thinking about people's opinions, including my own, if Deduno keeps up this success with these goofy numbers for the rest of the season. It would be a sabrmetric nightmare. Not to mention a "Twins Way" nightmare.

#19 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:33 PM

I'd be OK with him as the 12th man, basically a long reliever and spot starter. He's probably better than Manship or the other fringe guys that might fit in that role. Control is something that realistically can improve for many pitchers but I'm skeptical with Deduno... he's 28 and it's basically been the same story his whole career.

#20 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,507 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:58 PM

How ironic would it be if the Twins, who value control over seemingly everything else, end up benefiting from Deduno someone becoming an effective starter.