Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017 MLB Regular Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#41 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 16,386 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:18 AM

hope it's just what he wants in life rather than physical pain or personal issues.

The team said "The Rays fully support Colby's decision to step away from baseball." This makes it sound like something needing support, and I find it hard to conjure up anything that doesn't involve something unpleasant, physical or psychic. Players don't step away easily.

• USAFChief likes this

A cubicle is just a padded cell without a door.

#42 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

He's stated before that he didn't want to play beyond his mid-30s as he wanted to be home for his family, and from all accounts that I've been able to find, that's why he's making this choice. If that's the case, then good on him as he's made multiple millions of dollars and doesn't really "need" the game.

Yup.  See here, from March 2015:

https://www.thescore.com/news/715374

Colby Rasmus sometimes doesn't have fun playing baseball anymore.

The outfielder, who inked a one-year, $8-million contract with the Houston Astros this winter, wants to play this season, and three more before calling it a career. He's looking forward to retiring and spending time with his family at his newly purchased cattle ranch in Alabama.

“I’m getting a little older now,” the 28-year-old told Rick Hummel of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’ve been taking a beating on this body. I’m a lot older than I used to be. Playing on that turf in Toronto was pretty tough. It has a nice slab of concrete underneath and I was diving on it. I didn’t baby myself and take it easy.

“It’s a tough game. A lot of stuff goes on. I haven’t got much more in me.”

I'm guessing the hip injury just moved up the timeline by a season.

#43 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

The team said "The Rays fully support Colby's decision to step away from baseball." This makes it sound like something needing support, and I find it hard to conjure up anything that doesn't involve something unpleasant, physical or psychic. Players don't step away easily.

I think it just clarifies that he's not on the restricted list for punitive reasons, or any reason that might be in dispute.

#44 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:02 AM

Interesting that his younger brother Casey Rasmus also retired unexpectedly early in 2014, albeit as a minor leaguer of relatively little regard:

http://archauthority...rasmus-retires/

#45 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,464 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:18 AM

For those hoping Michael Pineda would be a FA target for the Twins.... 

He recently tore his UCL, and will undergo TJ Surgery. 

#46 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,464 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:21 PM

Here's a very interesting interview with Billy Beane talking about the never ending rebuilding cycle the A's have been on. 

Really, what’s been missing the last 20 years is keeping these players. The frustration isn’t that we’ve had success; the frustration is that after success, we haven’t kept them. And we need to change that narrative by creating a good team and ultimately committing to keeping them around, so that when people buy a ticket, they’ll know that the team is going to be there for a few years....
The important end of the sentence is rebuilding and keeping them. This is my 20th year on the job. There are only so many cycles that I can go through before I get as exasperated as everybody else.

Finding players has never been an issue for us. Keeping them and ultimately keeping the faith and commitment from people who follow the team, that’s got to be done by keeping them around. Again, I’ve been assured by ownership that that’s what we’re going to do as it parallels with the stadium.

#47 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,464 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:25 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised that MLB has not stepped in to address their horrendous stadium situation, and the fact that this organization has just been a developmental team for other organizations. 

Rob Manfred has discussed 3 cities where MLB expansion could make sense. I would think first they should take care of the Oakland situation... And have ownership step up to the plate to pay for a new stadium either in Oakland, or somewhere else. 

• bluechipper likes this

#48 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,638 posts

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

Frankly, I'm surprised that MLB has not stepped in to address their horrendous stadium situation, and the fact that this organization has just been a developmental team for other organizations. 

Rob Manfred has discussed 3 cities where MLB expansion could make sense. I would think first they should take care of the Oakland situation... And have ownership step up to the plate to pay for a new stadium either in Oakland, or somewhere else. 

I think he said in an interview that TB and Oak were still MLB's top priority.

• Vanimal46 likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#49 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,464 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 12:42 PM

I think he said in an interview that TB and Oak were still MLB's top priority.

Man, Tampa is so forgettable... Yes their stadium is horrendous as well. Perhaps relocation would work out for either of those cities as we've seen in the NFL. 

• gunnarthor likes this

#50 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

The Oakland stadium situation seems pretty easy on the surface, let them move to San Jose area. Politically, a little bit more difficult.

• Mike Sixel, SwainZag and Vanimal46 like this
Papers...business papers.

#51 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,464 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:30 PM

The Oakland stadium situation seems pretty easy on the surface, let them move to San Jose area. Politically, a little bit more difficult.

Would moving an hour down the freeway help with attendance/popularity numbers? The Giants are dominating that market, and should continue to dominate that market for the foreseeable future. 

#52 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

Would moving an hour down the freeway help with attendance/popularity numbers? The Giants are dominating that market, and should continue to dominate that market for the foreseeable future. 

I suspect a new stadium anywhere would help for starters. But San Jose is a really big city, could help as a new pivot point, try and keep most of the East Bay, expand into South Bay and snatch up some of the sweet, sweet Silicon Valley cash.

There's a reason the Giants don't want this to happen.

• Vanimal46 likes this

#53 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

San Jose is 50 miles away from San Francisco and is the 10th biggest city in the US (bigger than SF). I suspect they'd get enough support to be all right. Some will stay loyal to the Giants but others will grow up with the new team and support them. They'll probably always be the Mets to the Giants' Yankees but they'd be in pretty good shape overall. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#54 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:22 PM

Carlos Correa out for a few months with a torn ligament in his thumb. Real bummer for the Astros.

https://www.mlbtrade...b-ligament.html

#55 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,210 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

Trades could be a-brewin':

JD Martinez to Arizona:
https://www.mlbtrade...amondbacks.html

Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Tommy Kahnle to the Yankees:
https://www.mlbtrade...son-kahnle.html

Very interested to see the haul on that latter deal, assuming it happens...
  • PseudoSABR likes this

#56 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 3,808 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 10:38 PM

Todd Frazier, David Robertson, and Tommy Kahnle to the Yankees:
https://www.mlbtrade...son-kahnle.html

Very interested to see the haul on that latter deal, assuming it happens...

I don't think much of the Sox' haul, at all.

• USAFChief and Willihammer like this

#57 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:04 AM

I don't think much of the Sox' haul, at all.

I thought they did fine, Frazier and Robertson didn't have a lot of value.

#58 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 8,464 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

White Sox now have 6 top 30 prospects according to the MLB.com list....

#59 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:20 AM

White Sox now have 6 top 30 prospects according to the MLB.com list....

10 top 100 as well. Could be something in 3 years.

#60 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 23,638 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:51 AM

10 top 100 as well. Could be something in 3 years.

If half hit, that's a lot of hits! They've given themselves a chance to get better, imo.

They still have more assets. They could get this to 12 or even 13 this year. Unlikely, but possible. 

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?