Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

2017 MLB Regular Season Thread

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

#21 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:45 AM

Trea Turner broke his wrist and will miss probably at least two months. Bummer for him.

#22 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

Trea Turner broke his wrist and will miss probably at least two months. Bummer for him.

Ugh. Injury riddled season for him. 

please tell me it wasn't a head first slide....

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#23 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:02 AM

Ugh. Injury riddled season for him. 

please tell me it wasn't a head first slide....

HBP

http://www.espn.com/...er-breaks-wrist

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 June 2017 - 08:29 AM

The Nationals, in an attempt to fix their tire fire bullpen, signed former Twins great Kevin Jepsen to a minor league deal. 

#25 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Only 4 teams in the modern day 162 game schedule have won more than 109 games. The Astros and Dodgers are both on pace to win 109 and 110 games. 

#26 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

Also, who put money on the Brewers being 5.5 games up on the Cubs and Cardinals heading into the All-Star Break? 

This is why baseball is so fun! 

• Oldgoat_MN, Willihammer and spanman2 like this

#27 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

This just came out - 

Colby Rasmus is on the restricted list. Not sure if this means he won't get paid. Sounds like he is struggling with a hip injury and might just want to call it quits.  Had a good slash line in limited games this year.

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:13 PM

This just came out - 

Colby Rasmus is on the restricted list. Not sure if this means he won't get paid. Sounds like he is struggling with a hip injury and might just want to call it quits.  Had a good slash line in limited games this year.

I hate it when humans get hurt in our entertainments....hate it.

• gunnarthor likes this

#29 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:22 PM

I also don't like to see people get hurt, but I'm not sure why you qualify it as entertainment.
This is their job. There are many job fields in the world where people get hurt.
Athletes have it better than most, at least they are well compensated for sacrificing their bodies. Many, many people have to sacrifice their body for their job and are left with nothing to show for it.

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Yeah, the real cost to sports - esp football - can really suck the entertainment of some of this.  You see a couple guys crash into each other and it's no longer "oooooo", it's "oh, I hope they don't have brain damage."

• Oldgoat_MN, bluechipper and Vanimal46 like this

#31 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

I also don't like to see people get hurt, but I'm not sure why you qualify it as entertainment.
This is their job. There are many job fields in the world where people get hurt.
Athletes have it better than most, at least they are well compensated for sacrificing their bodies. Many, many people have to sacrifice their body for their job and are left with nothing to show for it.

1. saying I hate it when people get hurt doing entertainment implies NOTHING about other people at all. nothing.

2. mostly because I don't hear about them, and they are probably working in a field with more intrinsic value than entertainment.

3. Also, this is a site to discuss, you know, entertainment.

but yes, I hate it when any humans get hurt, wasn't sure I needed to discuss all of humanity and it's ills on a website about baseball, but sure, ya, I don't like it when people get hurt.

Edited by Mike Sixel, 13 July 2017 - 02:47 PM.

#32 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,475 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

Yeah, the real cost to sports - esp football - can really suck the entertainment of some of this.  You see a couple guys crash into each other and it's no longer "oooooo", it's "oh, I hope they don't have brain damage."

Also this, it decreases my entertainment knowing that these guys are getting hurt.

#33 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 02:59 PM

1. saying I hate it when people get hurt doing entertainment implies NOTHING about other people at all. nothing.

2. mostly because I don't hear about them, and they are probably working in a field with more intrinsic value than entertainment.

3. Also, this is a site to discuss, you know, entertainment.

but yes, I hate it when any humans get hurt, wasn't sure I needed to discuss all of humanity and it's ills on a website about baseball, but sure, ya, I don't like it when people get hurt.

It may seem obvious on your end but it read as if to say you ESPECIALLY hate when its in the entertainment industry that people get hurt. I wasn't sure.
I certainly didn't think you enjoy people being hurt.

#34 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Only 4 teams in the modern day 162 game schedule have won more than 109 games. The Astros and Dodgers are both on pace to win 109 and 110 games. 

.679 winning % is 56 wins in the NBA/NHL and 11 in the NFL...certainly not uncommon...speaks to just how high in volume 162 game season is to get things to go your way for 6 months of constantly playing ballgames. 

• Oldgoat_MN likes this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#35 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

Also, who put money on the Brewers being 5.5 games up on the Cubs and Cardinals heading into the All-Star Break? 

This is why baseball is so fun! 

Not a single sane person in any one of those cities!It certainly is fun.

• Vanimal46 likes this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#36 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

.679 winning % is 56 wins in the NBA/NHL and 11 in the NFL...certainly not uncommon...speaks to just how high in volume 162 game season is to get things to go your way for 6 months of constantly playing ballgames.

Baseball also has much more parity in possible outcomes.
You just can't compare it to other sports in that regard.
If the best and worst teams in baseball played 100 times the worst team would still probably win 30 to 35 of those games.
In football the Patriots would beat the Browns 95 or 96 times.
  • Oldgoat_MN and Vanimal46 like this

#37 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

• Members
  • 10,041 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

This just came out -

Colby Rasmus is on the restricted list. Not sure if this means he won't get paid. Sounds like he is struggling with a hip injury and might just want to call it quits. Had a good slash line in limited games this year.

One, I thought Rasmus was still on the Astros. Two, this is sad. I hope he finds what he's looking for outside of baseball.

Edited by Vanimal46, 13 July 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#38 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 3,721 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

One, I thought Rasmus was still on the Astros. Two, this is sad. I hope he finds what he's looking for outside of baseball.

He's stated before that he didn't want to play beyond his mid-30s as he wanted to be home for his family, and from all accounts that I've been able to find, that's why he's making this choice. If that's the case, then good on him as he's made multiple millions of dollars and doesn't really "need" the game.

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

Co-Editor at CallToThePen.com, covering Twins, Braves, minor leagues, and all other baseball!

#39 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:28 PM

He's stated before that he didn't want to play beyond his mid-30s as he wanted to be home for his family, and from all accounts that I've been able to find, that's why he's making this choice. If that's the case, then good on him as he's made multiple millions of dollars and doesn't really "need" the game.

Yeah, if he's retiring on his terms, great. If he's retiring because of a degenerative hip condition, less great.

#40 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Yeah, if he's retiring on his terms, great. If he's retiring because of a degenerative hip condition, less great.

I don't know how impairing it could be. His slash line in 129 PA is .291/.318/.579 (.896).

Agree with you all, hope it's just what he wants in life rather than physical pain or personal issues. Best of luck to him.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln