Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Minor League Promotions Coming Soon?

trevor hildenberger zack granite jermaine palacios tyler wells john curtiss
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

The bigger question is who departs. Does the Yohan Pino's disappear from Rochester to make room. Who isn't playing well and can be given walking papers, at all levels, now that a fresh crop of players will start movement from Cedar Rapids and above!

Who do the Twins carry that will be minor league free agents come the end of the season, those that have no chance of being added to the 40-man and who might best be served by switching organizations sooner rather than later.

And anyone else the Twins think they should grab from Indy ball? The return of Mark Hamburger or Caleb Thielbar!

This is the part that doesn't get talked about with regards to promotions.Minor league teams have rosters too, and someone going up means someone else going down or out.It's a big reason why this type of things doesn't happen consistently until after the draft/ASB.

Any of Tonkin, Wimmers, and Baxendale could be sent to AA, based on middling AAA performance alone not to mention lack of a future in the org.Nobody has to be given walking papers yet, if there is any concern about losing minor league depth or filling the vacated AA spots.  (Mickolio would be another option for demotion, although I'm guessing we promised him a longer leash?)

On the starter side, now that we've added Melville, Heston, and Wilk to the AAA starting ranks since the season began, Pino and Tepesch could be near future releases if we want too (assuming they don't want to be sent to AA, or we have better replacements in mind for AA).

Most of these guys will be minor league free agents at season's end anyway, except Baxendale. (I'm assuming Wimmers gets removed from the 40-man again by that point.)

• Mike Sixel and Vanimal46 like this

#62 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Why shouldn't there be a rush to promote Bard to AAA?  Like you said, he's Rule 5 eligible this winter unless we add him to the 40-man, but that decision and his 40-man future are a lot more up in the air than someone like, say, Gonsavles.  I would think we'd want to push Bard and get more data to better inform those decisions.

Also, given his injury history (and perhaps his family history?), who knows how long this success will last for Bard? I think we'd want to make the most of it while we can.

There never really has to be a rush. They could add him this offseason and then have three years to move him up. Obviously that's not what I or anyone else would do, but it's possible. 

I'm all for moving him up, that's why he's in the story. 

• Mike Sixel likes this

#63 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 7,972 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

Jake Reed is the one to watch. He's the one reliever the front office likes out of the current healthy crop. A handful of good AAA outings and he likely gets a crack.

• Vanimal46 likes this
Papers...business papers.

#64 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 8,005 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 21 June 2017 - 02:03 PM

Jake Reed is the one to watch. He's the one reliever the front office likes out of the current healthy crop. A handful of good AAA outings and he likely gets a crack.

Concur. He's one of the few RPs left that has upside to be a good RP in the MLB. 

#65 Jaykay

Jaykay

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,000 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Good news: Curtiss is up to AAA

Bad news: Melotakis was DFA'd? What??????

#66 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hildenberger to Twins (with Dillon Gee).

Alex Wimmers, Mason Melotakis DFAd.

John Curtiss from Chattanooga to Rochester.

Mitchell Kranson, Jermaine Palacios, Brandon Lopez, Jaylin Davis from Cedar Rapids to Ft. Myers.

Amaurys Minier, Jorge Munoz, Joe Cronin, Lean Marrero from Extended Spring Training to Cedar Rapids.

More coming... 

#67 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:14 AM

Hildenberger to Twins (with Dillon Gee).

Alex Wimmers, Mason Melotakis DFAd.

John Curtiss from Chattanooga to Rochester.

Mitchell Kranson, Jermaine Palacios, Brandon Lopez, Jaylin Davis from Cedar Rapids to Ft. Myers.

Amaurys Minier, Jorge Munoz, Joe Cronin, Lean Marrero from Extended Spring Training to Cedar Rapids.

More coming... 

Matt Tracy from Chattanooga to Rochester.

Dereck Rodriguez and Brian Navarreto from Ft. Myers to Chattanooga.

Keaton Steele from Extended Spring to Ft. Myers.

Trey Vavra, Daniel Kihle and Rafael Valera released from the Miracle. 

• Oldgoat_MN and Dman like this

#68 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 22,768 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:19 AM

thanks for hte updates!

• wsnydes likes this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#69 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,776 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 01:12 PM

Tracy is almost certainly a non-factor, but he's a lefty starter. Maybe this means they plan to work Turley in relief in AAA?

Would still like to see Bard pushed.

#70 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,556 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:00 AM

I'd swear there was a MiLB transactions post that for some reason I cannot find, so I am posting this here:

The Twins signed 24 year old MiLB FA LHP Anthony Marzi, formerly of the Independent Atlantic League New Britain Bees and assigned his to the Kernels who sent IF Ariel Montesino to the E-Twins

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#71 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

And then back to Chattanooga couple days ago

-----

#72 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 8,556 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

Few more MiLB re-assignments and I think this catches up for the month:

Chattanooga releases 3B Dan Gamache, returns Le Blanc to the Miracle
Miracle releases 2B Brad Strong
IF Andre Jernigan promoted to the Kernels from E-Twins
LHP Taylor Clemensia and RHP Carlos Suniaga went from E-town to the GCL

-----

#73 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,058 posts

Posted 01 July 2017 - 02:36 PM

I'd swear there was a MiLB transactions post that for some reason I cannot find, so I am posting this here:

The Twins signed 24 year old MiLB FA LHP Anthony Marzi, formerly of the Independent Atlantic League New Britain Bees and assigned his to the Kernels who sent IF Ariel Montesino to the E-Twins

Yeah, there is. Was hoping people would update it, but it's a way down the line in the minor league forum now. These are always in the daily minor league report ,and all of these have been... but this place works too.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor hildenberger, zack granite, jermaine palacios, tyler wells, john curtiss