Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Minor League Promotions Coming Soon?

trevor hildenberger zack granite jermaine palacios tyler wells john curtiss
  • Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

No moving Wade to AAA? How old is he now?

There is no reason Gordon should spend all of next year in the minors. That's about 180 degrees off how Houston or the Cubs would run their rosters. 

Wade is 23 and was drafted two years ago. He is right where he should be. He's doing well, though slumping some of late. 

I think Gordon could be a straight-from-AA guy later this year... Or he could start next year in AAA and come up soon. No way he's in the minors all year next year. (I mean, unless something weird happens). 

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, Taildragger8791 and 5 others like this

#22 BenB

BenB

• 26 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:50 AM

Not sure where to bring this up but... Chih-Wei Hu's fastball in limited MLB appearances was an average of 93 mph, why am I thinking on of the knocks on him when traded for Jepsen was his fastball velocity was below average?

• Bob Sacamento likes this

#23 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

How long does he need to dominate AA before moving up, in your opinion?

I'm aggressive, I want guys moved up and challenged. Others are not.

I'm a huge Wade fan. He's in my Top 10 Twins prospects, probably even after the new picks are added. But I don't know that he's dominating AA. He's got a great OBP, but he's got a .792 OPS. Again, that's solid, but not dominating. 

I'm good with aggressiveness, but I'm also good with letting Gordon and Wade continue to put up numbers for awhile before pushing them. 

And, the Twins do have a history of promoting top minor league hitters pretty quickly. Have for years. Gordon and Wade have both been moved quickly in their careers, factoring in age and when they signed. 

• Mike Sixel, Vanimal46 and wsnydes like this

#24 PDX Twin

PDX Twin

Portland Beavers

• 1,350 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

When I read the title, I wasn't sure which kind of "promotion" you meant. When I saw the picture of the hideous Star Wars uniforms, I actually thought it was the other kind (until I read, of course). 

I love having your picture, Seth, but if the Star Wars uniforms were on my hard drive, I'd wear out the delete key. :)

• Mike Sixel and Oldgoat_MN like this

It's great to get out of the cellar ... as long as you bring something with you.

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

On a related note, anyone know how decent or bad Mitch Garver looked in the outfield?  

It's two games... I'll have to ask him how that's going. It definitely is interesting, giving him more value... but two games is not enough to know much of anything.

#26 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,513 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

I'm a huge Wade fan. He's in my Top 10 Twins prospects, probably even after the new picks are added. But I don't know that he's dominating AA. He's got a great OBP, but he's got a .792 OPS. Again, that's solid, but not dominating. 

I'm good with aggressiveness, but I'm also good with letting Gordon and Wade continue to put up numbers for awhile before pushing them. 

And, the Twins do have a history of promoting top minor league hitters pretty quickly. Have for years. Gordon and Wade have both been moved quickly in their careers, factoring in age and when they signed. 

all fair, 

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#27 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,861 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

I'm much less of a fan of calling up the batters straight from AA, I'd like to see Gordon get some AAA pitching first; it hasn't worked out terrible well for the Twins when the batters have had no or minimal AAA experience. I think they need to continue to figure out how to adjust and react to the pitchers.

I'm just fine calling pitchers up from AA though, particularly relievers. They are the causation to the batters reaction, the things they tend to have to work on like mechanics and control are completely independent of the batters they face.

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, Willihammer and 3 others like this

#28 howieramone2

howieramone2

Just say no to myths!

• 1,701 posts
  • LocationMaple Grove/Schaumburg

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:15 AM

Not sure where to bring this up but... Chih-Wei Hu's fastball in limited MLB appearances was an average of 93 mph, why am I thinking on of the knocks on him when traded for Jepsen was his fastball velocity was below average?

Anyone our favorite team trades, instantly becomes a board favorite. Any player we receive in return, instantly becomes a board scapegoat. It's a game we play here on TD. 

• Seth Stohs, birdwatcher, SwainZag and 2 others like this

#29 nater79a

nater79a

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,009 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Randy Rosario? Any thoughts on him? I haven't checked his stats since he was optioned back to the Lookouts. Maybe he's young enough that a little more AA time wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
  • birdwatcher likes this

#30 GM64

GM64

• 51 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:30 AM

To make room for all this movement, several (5, 6?) folks at Rochester need to simply be let go --- or a mix of folks -- a couple from each of three or four teams.  I'm wondering who those folks are.  It can't be just the fringes of each team's roster, that won't provide the necessary playing time.

#31 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,823 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

I'm much less of a fan of calling up the batters straight from AA, I'd like to see Gordon get some AAA pitching first; it hasn't worked out terrible well for the Twins when the batters have had no or minimal AAA experience. I think they need to continue to figure out how to adjust and react to the pitchers.

I'm just fine calling pitchers up from AA though, particularly relievers. They are the causation to the batters reaction, the things they tend to have to work on like mechanics and control are completely independent of the batters they face.

Yeah I agree... Other than Mauer and Sano, who were the cream of the crop elite prospects, I can't think of other prospects in this organization who have immediate MLB success from AA. 

Gordon is good and could be great, but he's not an ELITE prospect IMO. 

#32 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

What's His Velocity?

• 12,823 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:32 AM

To make room for all this movement, several (5, 6?) folks at Rochester need to simply be let go --- or a mix of folks -- a couple from each of three or four teams.  I'm wondering who those folks are.  It can't be just the fringes of each team's roster, that won't provide the necessary playing time.

Considering the lack of talent being called up to the MLB from Rochester, there should be a lot of fat to trim on the team. 

• howieramone2 and wsnydes like this

#33 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• 767 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:34 AM

Too bad a player's readiness doesn't always jive with the big club's current needs.

I lean more towards the being aggressive side myself. But, I can see where it's a very fine line.

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:43 AM

He was touching 96 before the trade. There were no knocks on Hu at that time. They knew that they were giving up someone with a future when they dealt him. That's the "danger" of being a buyer at the trade deadline. You're going to give something up to get something. And Jepsen helped the Twins a ton down the stretch in 2015. But Hu was being a bunch of guys on the Twins prospect rankings already back then, a mid-teens type of prospect. The Rays have moved him to the bullpen too now. 

#35 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

Randy Rosario? Any thoughts on him? I haven't checked his stats since he was optioned back to the Lookouts. Maybe he's young enough that a little more AA time wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

That was my thought. I figured that with Reed and Melotakis already moving up, and me supporting Bard and Curtiss moving up, Rosario can stay in AA for now. I think it's a good thing. He started the year in Ft. Myers, and he's young, so no worries. I'd push the older guys (who also have upside). 

• Mike Sixel and wsnydes like this

#36 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,695 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:46 AM

I would expect there would be some releases, some mysterious DL placement, but not just at Rochester, also at some of the lower levels as well. 

Several players in Extended Spring were released yesterday, and I'm sure we'll hear of more as well.

#37 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• 1,226 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Great post. Thanks!

#38 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,943 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:02 AM

There two players on the Rochester roster who have an OPS of >=.800. That would be Mitch Garver & Zach Granite. There are two players who have a batting average of >=.265. That would be Granite and Matt Hague.

Seven players are 27 years old or older.

Now I realize selecting a BA of .265 is arbitrary, but few would expect a guy hitting .265 in AAA to hit better than .240 in MLB. That is a BA that most teams are unlikely to find helpful.

Yes, I agree that there are players who could be trimmed from AAA.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#39 toosweet64

toosweet64

• 34 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

Wimmers, Turley, and Haley. There's three guys who could come off the 25 man and 40 man. All are terrible. 

• twinssouth likes this

#40 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 11:18 AM

I would be concerned about Wade's ability to hit with hard contact as shown by his ISO. As compared to Grossman's time in AA it is much lower.

The Twins have much better data to look at for barrels and hard contact. Maybe most of his hard contact is directly at fielders and his low ISO is a poor indicator. He won't walk in the majors if he doesn't hit the ball with some authority. Major league pitchers will pitch to his weaker contact and his walk rate will drop considerably.

While he is in AA, he needs to be more aggressive attacking pitches that he can drive. Without recognition of pitches that he can drive, it will be hard to be successful in the majors.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor hildenberger, zack granite, jermaine palacios, tyler wells, john curtiss