Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Are we done jumping to conclusions on Falvey & Co. ?

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 Twinfan & Dad

Twinfan & Dad

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:04 PM

I hope that we all have seen how competent Falvey and the new FO are. Fantastic draft according to many top level baseball minds. Many on this board were ready to run him out of town after day 1 of the draft. Maybe we aren't used to people who think outside the box. Is the pitching staff and bullpen a mess? Most definitely. However could Falvey have forseen all of the injuries to our young pitchers? As rumours start to heat up for more pitching such as Gorden, Polanco and more for Archer let's not get to excited. Our Twins are in great hands and we should feel lucky to have Falvey and Co.
  • DocBauer likes this

#2 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 16,908 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:07 PM

Are we done jumping to conclusions?

As a whole? 

(Thinking)

NO

• USAFChief, glunn, Blake and 13 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#3 rghrbek

rghrbek

Ft Myers

• Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:11 PM

I hope that we all have seen how competent Falvey and the new FO are. Fantastic draft according to many top level baseball minds. Many on this board were ready to run him out of town after day 1 of the draft. Maybe we aren't used to people who think outside the box. Is the pitching staff and bullpen a mess? Most definitely. However could Falvey have forseen all of the injuries to our young pitchers? As rumours start to heat up for more pitching such as Gorden, Polanco and more for Archer let's not get to excited. Our Twins are in great hands and we should feel lucky to have Falvey and Co.

Who are the many top baseball minds?  I've seen Callis extol the Twins drafting prowess, but have not seen others say the Twins had a fantastic draft.

I would enjoy reading more on this from other experts.

• dgwills likes this

#4 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Hunting NEOs

• Members
  • 7,431 posts
  • LocationExtremely low Earth orbit

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:14 PM

Bwahahaha!
  • Mike Sixel, DaveW, 70charger and 2 others like this

45: In the end, he can see only one.

#5 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 21,700 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:23 PM

Breslow, Belisle, Tepesch, Wilk, Haley, Rucinski, Heston, et. al. (and leaving Berrios down, saying he wasn't ready, then he was 1 start later....).....indicate it is early to assess the FO and their ability, imo. 

three years....need at least three years.

• LaBombo, Oldgoat_MN, goulik and 3 others like this

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#6 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,510 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:26 PM

We have to remember that these guys are acting in the now (thus the influx of "temporary" players holding down the fort, which is now in first place) as well as trying to see what IS in the system and making the rounds o the direction they want the coaching to take et al. This off-season should be the tell.

As well as what happens with the Twins and the division in the weeks to come.

Being competitive kinda threw a monkey-wrench into everything.

And they have to ask if they are playoff needs, and if they should tradeoff some pieces sooner rather than later for a quick fix or something to take them into the playoff hunt.

A lot of guys STILL in the minors that have promise but will never play major league ball, with the Twins or others, but someone might still think so.

• diehardtwinsfan, Riverbrian, HitInAPinch and 1 other like this

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#7 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 3,354 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:53 PM

As Monty Python once said, in their Mosquito Hunter sketch: "Where's the sport in that?"

• Riverbrian, h2oface, Circus Boy and 2 others like this

#8 wsnydes

wsnydes

Armchair Connie Mack

• Members
  • 2,161 posts
  • LocationAt work mostly...

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:55 PM

Who are the many top baseball minds?  I've seen Callis extol the Twins drafting prowess, but have not seen others say the Twins had a fantastic draft.

I would enjoy reading more on this from other experts.

Agreed.  Regardless, we should wait to see how the class turns out before we can make any sort of rational decision in the first place.  Now is not the time call these guys geniuses based on a draft class that happened not even a week ago and is so far mostly unsigned.

• Mike Sixel, jimbo92107, Oldgoat_MN and 4 others like this

"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." - Meat 

#9 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:08 PM

i think 75% of the posters here begged for more bullpen help. A free agent or two would have only cost money. Even a non-competitive team needed a much better bullpen.

It's way too soon to judge how good Falvey and Levine are doing.
  • LaBombo, h2oface, d-mac and 1 other like this

#10 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,320 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:24 PM

I hope that we all have seen how competent Falvey and the new FO are.

What "new FO"?Levine?

• d-mac and jud6312 like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#11 MangLitch

MangLitch

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:26 PM

I get the idea with this post.... but I can't help myself.

So you are asking if we are done jumping to conclusions because the so called "draft experts" are praising the draft of the Twins. Funny, seems like they also are jumping to conclusions when we really won't know how well they drafted for 3 or 4 years. 

Seems as if we have been put in our place by other people who are rumored to be better at jumping to conclusions. I am boxed I guess.

I hope this is a replica of Houston 2012 and to be honest, I have no clue what it will be. But in reality, no one directly or indirectly related to this process has 20% of a clue how this will end. It is all just fun banter. 

SO NO, I AM NOT DONE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.... FIRE FALVINE!!!! (strong whiff of sarcasm)(Am I officially the first to start this in replacement of TR?) 

• diehardtwinsfan, LaBombo, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 2,782 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:35 PM

i think 75% of the posters here begged for more bullpen help. A free agent or two would have only cost money. Even a non-competitive team needed a much better bullpen.

It's way too soon to judge how good Falvey and Levine are doing.

Of the free agent relievers that signed major league contracts 2 years or less Drew Storen is the only one with an ERA under 3.There reallywasn't a whole lot out there. You shouldn't let that change the narrative of want what turned out not performing.Any of them should be available for trade . Storen did not pitch so well for Toronto in a playoff race.

#13 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:41 PM

Of the free agent relievers that signed major league contracts 2 years or less Drew Storen is the only one with an ERA under 3. There really wasn't a whole lot out there. You shouldn't let that change the narrative of want what turned out not performing. Any of them should be available for trade . Storen did not pitch so well for Toronto in a playoff race.

no one knew whether or not FA relievers were going to work out at the time.

So because free agents didn't work in 2017, Levine shouldn't seek out free agent relief help for 2018? Or maybe spend what it takes to get a good free agent reliever.

If 3 years or more is what it takes, get it done.
  • LaBombo, Riverbrian and HitInAPinch like this

#14 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 04:45 PM

The problems this team has are all inherited from previous management.

To us dedicated fans it seemed obvious that the pitching staff needed 75% turnover. This would have seemed bonkers to any incoming GM -- even GMs who look at the stat sheets -- so it's not surprising that they wanted to take things slower and see things for themselves. 

• BigSkyTwinsFan, Riverbrian and HitInAPinch like this

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:03 PM

Agreed.  Regardless, we should wait to see how the class turns out before we can make any sort of rational decision in the first place.  Now is not the time call these guys geniuses based on a draft class that happened not even a week ago and is so far mostly unsigned.

No, but we can appreciate the process.

Just as we can not appreciate what is happening in the bullpen right now.

Neither instance makes Falvey/Levine a great/bad front office, but it warrants small cheers/grumbles.

My problem mainly revolves around the making of grand, sweeping statements when we're a few months into their tenure.

• diehardtwinsfan, BigSkyTwinsFan, Riverbrian and 3 others like this

#16 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 16,908 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

Of the free agent relievers that signed major league contracts 2 years or less Drew Storen is the only one with an ERA under 3.There reallywasn't a whole lot out there. You shouldn't let that change the narrative of want what turned out not performing.Any of them should be available for trade . Storen did not pitch so well for Toronto in a playoff race.

I thought that there were some decent pen options in free agency. Guys who were worth a shot.

Some worked out and some didn't so far but I would have appreciated the effort. 

My personal opinion but I'm not going to judge them on it yet... They got plenty of other stuff to do. 

• Blake, LaBombo, Sconnie and 1 other like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#17 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 11,192 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:14 PM

Of the free agent relievers that signed major league contracts 2 years or less Drew Storen is the only one with an ERA under 3.

Greg Holland, Koji Uehara, Jetry Blevins, Matt Albers, Yusmeiro Petit -- I don't know if you really researched this.
  • LaBombo, Oldgoat_MN, h2oface and 1 other like this

#18 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:28 PM

Are we done jumping to conclusions?

As a whole? 

(Thinking)

NO

That was the answer I came up with. We might come around eventually, but then another question will come up.

• Blake, Jerr, Riverbrian and 1 other like this

#19 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,371 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:41 PM

SO NO, I AM NOT DONE JUMPING TO CONCLUSIONS.... FIRE FALVINE!!!! (strong whiff of sarcasm)(Am I officially the first to start this in replacement of TR?) 

Bite your tongue or we will get Bill Smith back. My parents occasionally play cards with his mother, and while it was fun for them to have the insider contact, I prefer they just hear second hand old war stories rather than get inside info again. (They aren't big enough fans to ask the right questions anyway.)

• Riverbrian, HitInAPinch and MangLitch like this

#20 Vagnavs

Vagnavs

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 06:46 PM

Why are we sending out these career minor leaguers? There is a reason that career minor league's, they're not good! Let's roll the dice and try some of the highly rated younger prospects..

• Dave The Dastardly likes this