Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Busenitz Looks To Provide Relief

alan busenitz trevor hildenberger john curtiss
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 kab21

kab21

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

I saw Busenitz pitch about a month ago against the IronPigs in a game that the Red Wings lost 0-9 and he was really good.93-96 mph fastball and he was pounded the strike zone.His secondary stuff is a change up and a curve ball that both sit at 82-84 and they are out pitches.The change has so much movement that really looks like a cutter at some point.

I think that he can help the Twins this season, but they need to subtract someone.Belisle and Breslow are the likely candidates for that, but I think that the Twins are giving them a very long leash...  

On the depth chart, I see him behind Turley and Chargois (when he is ready), so that's that too...

Yes, the Twins have been rotating deckchairs on the Titanic with a myriad of mediocre RP'ers all season but Busenitz is not like Wilk, Wheeler, Tepesch (SP), Rucinski, Haley, Wimmers and Heston. Almost all of those guys have 90 mph FB and middling MILB K rates. It has been frustrating to see the Twins cycling through these guys that were unlikely to be anything better than a long reliever or mop up man.

Busenitz OTOH has been in the 8+ K/9 range (not great) before spiking to almost 10 this year and has a mid 90's FB and a possibly some interesting offspeed pitches. This is the profile of a RP that could make a medium size impact (really good 6th/7th inning pitcher) for a team.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#42 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,475 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

So, Pressly to AAA to make room for Wilk to start game 1 and then Wilk back to AAA to make room for Busenitz?

Or has the Busenitz call-up plan changed?

#43 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,497 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

So, Pressly to AAA to make room for Wilk to start game 1 and then Wilk back to AAA to make room for Busenitz?

Or has the Busenitz call-up plan changed?

Unless there's an empty spot on the 40 man, someone has to get the DFA for Busenitz.Personally, I would go with Wilk here.

• Thrylos and jud6312 like this

#44 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• 1,356 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:39 PM

Having fun while trying to make a point.

Maybe on the country song part. But I didn't mention anything at all about momma, or trains, or trucks, or prison...or getting drunk. (And a big high 5 and a cyber beer for anyone who gets that reference).

I'm going to hang around as long as you will let me. 

#45 jud6312

jud6312

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,475 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 02:27 PM

Unless there's an empty spot on the 40 man, someone has to get the DFA for Busenitz.Personally, I would go with Wilk here.

That would be my top choice, too, with Hughes to the 60-day a close second.

#46 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,531 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 04:05 PM

No change on the Twins roster so far.

#47 sploorp

sploorp

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 162 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 07:51 PM

I just saw it on MLB Trade Rumors: Wilk DFA'd to make room for Busenitz.

#48 The Wise One

The Wise One

• 1,728 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:19 PM

I just saw it on MLB Trade Rumors: Wilk DFA'd to make room for Busenitz.

Makes sense as Wilk would be of no use for a few days, wimmers as the 26th player was used for the first game. There will be a few fresher arms for the evening go around, when it resumes. 4 innings in they got what they needed out of Mejia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alan busenitz, trevor hildenberger, john curtiss