Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Busenitz Looks To Provide Relief

alan busenitz trevor hildenberger john curtiss
  • Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,722 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:12 AM

I've been trying to figure out why the FO seems so insistent on keeping Belisle, Boshers (who to be fair, has pitched pretty well), and Breslow around instead of the guys on the farm. Do you think any of the wait has to do with the FO trying to find a way to trade Belisle and Breslow for some value rather than DFA them? I assume they are long out of options. I know that Molitor would like some veterans in the pen but even he has to recognize that a more reliable arm would be an improvement. We may have to wait until July for things to change. 

• Danchat and D.C Twins like this

#22 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

Do you think any of the wait has to do with the FO trying to find a way to trade Belisle and Breslow for some value rather than DFA them? I assume they are long out of options.

Your assumption is correct -- players with 5+ years of service time can't be sent to the minors without their consent, which is extremely rare (Anibal Sanchez consented this year, I suppose just to get more innings).

I can't imagine they are holding onto any trade delusions about those two any more.  I'm guessing they still think Belisle can help, but even the Twins haven't been using Breslow for multiple innings or in any kind of leverage situations, which is basically saying he's not of any value on the field.  They must like his off-field contributions, though?

#23 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,534 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:22 AM

I've been trying to figure out why the FO seems so insistent on keeping Belisle, Boshers (who to be fair, has pitched pretty well), and Breslow around instead of the guys on the farm. Do you think any of the wait has to do with the FO trying to find a way to trade Belisle and Breslow for some value rather than DFA them? I assume they are long out of options. I know that Molitor would like some veterans in the pen but even he has to recognize that a more reliable arm would be an improvement. We may have to wait until July for things to change. 

why the heck would anyone trade for Breslow or Belisle? If that is what they are waiting for, um, good luck.

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#24 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• 1,373 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:30 AM

They could get rid of Breslow today. He is the 25th man and really isn't contributing anything of significance to the roster.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#25 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,699 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:07 AM

Going to have to disagree here. Guys deserve chances. Guys who seemingly might be getting it together deserve second chances. Shuffling deck chairs is doing both with guys who just can't get the job done.

I agree. This is an evaluation year for Falvey and Levine... That includes people that are and have been here. It appears they'll get some opportunity and give the FO more data points. At some point that will shift. Tonkin and Santana got about six weeks. Some of the others got less. Eventually these guys will get an opportunity.

• HitInAPinch likes this

#26 LA VIkes Fan

LA VIkes Fan

• 1,722 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:08 AM

I think they brought them in with the hope that they would pitch decently and be a tradable asset in July. Belisle had other suitors so they weren't completely crack addled in thinking he could have value and Breslow was more of a flyer with the new arm slot, etc.but left handed relievers have value and he was good until asked to pitch more often and in more high leverage situations. It may be that the thinking is that they will be able to get 5-7 good appearances form them and flip them for a High A lottery prospect. Good luck with that. I think that may be part of the hold up.   

#27 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• 30,534 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:13 AM

I think they brought them in with the hope that they would pitch decently and be a tradable asset in July. Belisle had other suitors so they weren't completely crack addled in thinking he could have value and Breslow was more of a flyer with the new arm slot, etc.but left handed relievers have value and he was good until asked to pitch more often and in more high leverage situations. It may be that the thinking is that they will be able to get 5-7 good appearances form them and flip them for a High A lottery prospect. Good luck with that. I think that may be part of the hold up.   

I agree that was the plan, but it hasn't worked. At some point, you move on from your plan (also, that Chaargois, Burdi, Jay would be ready hasn't worked).

It's been a fun year so far, GO Twins. 

#28 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 14,886 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

I agree. This is an evaluation year for Falvey and Levine... That includes people that are and have been here. It appears they'll get some opportunity and give the FO more data points. At some point that will shift. Tonkin and Santana got about six weeks. Some of the others got less. Eventually these guys will get an opportunity.

I'm all for the evaluation, and I wanted Tonkin, Wheeler, Haley and Wimmers to get a(nother) shot.

But you'd think that you'd work your way through the evaluation process with the guys with the lowest probability of being a future contributor only if your team is losing. You'd think you'd start out with the guys with the highest probability of contributing if the team is contending.

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,675 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

David Alan Coe turned me on to country. I'll take that beer. Just don't call me by my name.

Can I like this post more than once?!  LOL

Love David Allan Coe! We have a winner!

• jimbo92107 and Dave The Dastardly like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#30 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 11:37 AM

Is it an evaluation year for Belisle and Breslow?  They're a combined 73 years old.

What about adding Chapman, Mickolio, Melville, Wilk, and Heston since the season began?  Do they get to jump the evaluation line ahead of Bard, Curtiss, etc.?

How about Wimmers, Tepesch, Rucinski, Wilk, Tonkin, all of whom have been "evaluated" in MLB this season and found wanting, yet still occupy AAA roster spots that could go to strong AA performers?

• Thrylos and Mike Sixel like this

#31 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,623 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:07 PM

It's kind of mind boggling, as awful as the pen has been, that they haven't yet found a way to get Busenitz, Hildenberger, or Curtis on the 40-man and up here to help. Are they that attaches to Belisle and Breslow?
  • Mike Sixel, Danchat and twinssouth like this

#32 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 517 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:37 PM

I heard the Portly Panamanian is going to be in town, maybe they're waiting to re-sign him.

#33 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,133 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 16 June 2017 - 12:51 PM

What about adding Chapman, Mickolio, Melville, Wilk, and Heston since the season began?  Do they get to jump the evaluation line ahead of Bard, Curtiss, etc.?

At least Chapman's gone...

There is no reason that Bard and Curtiss are in AA, other than to get the Lookouts at the post-season.I hope they both get promoted after the MiLB ASB

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#34 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,699 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:45 PM

Busenitz is coming up for the doubleheader tomorrow.

Along with Wimmers (likely as the 26th man)

• HitInAPinch likes this

#35 mikelink45

mikelink45

• 2,642 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:02 AM

Busenitz - good call up.  He deserved it.  So does Curtiss and a few more, but Wimmers?  What is the affection they have with Wimmers?

#36 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• 5,207 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 06:18 AM

Must be about the last shot for Wimmers, no?

It's not my fault !

#37 spycake

spycake

• 16,778 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

Wimmers has to be the 26th man, because he was optioned just a few days ago. So he is literally just an extra arm for today.

#38 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,393 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:24 AM

This is a risk the Twins take when they have a 40-man roster with players NOT YET ready for the big leagues (you could count Randy Rosario in that mix, along with Jorge and Romero) not to mention Palka and Vielma. 

You can't jsut rotate guys out of the 40-man spot. You MIGHT end up losing them. No loss, one might say. Or no one will claim them (i.e. Wilk and Tepesch, as recent examples).

Yet you do take a chance on those back-of-the-pen prospects like Hildenberger and Busenitz, for examples, who might come up, throw a bad inning or two, and go back down. Then you still have to replace them, with who? And chances are someone would give either a 40-man spot if the Twins had to run them thru the process.

Yet are they better or no worse than 3/4s of the current bullpen, many of whom would probably be jobless if cut loose.

But right now EVERY guy in the Twins minor league system has to know that jobs are available. That is a lot of pressure to produce not only in the minors, but to shine if you get a cup-of-coffee before September in the majors.

And you age, and there is always someone pushing from below. Both the guys you mentioned would be vuable choices NOW for the Twins pen. But if you looked at the beginning of the year, we all thought Chargois, Burdi, Reed, maybe Bard, possibly Zach Jones, amongst others would be in the mix, with Jay rotating back into bullpen status and some guy named Cederoth not getting released.

Be interesting to see what happens when Santiago and Haley and even Perkins come back into the fold!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#39 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,551 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 17 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

Give 'em the business, Busenitz!

Whoa, that one took max effort.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#40 wagwan

wagwan

• 141 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

Going to have to disagree here. Guys deserve chances. Guys who seemingly might be getting it together deserve second chances. Shuffling deck chairs is doing both with guys who just can't get the job done.

We don't really know what Busentiz can do yet. He was barely mentioned when acquired and hasn't even been talked about much until lately. Curtiss, Reed, Chargois, Burdi if ever healthy, Jay if he also can ever get healthy, Melotakis, etc, are guys we are familiar with. Busentiz's stuff and numbers indicate he deserves consideration. He may not be a pup, but he's also not old.

This was not meant to be a comment on Busenitz. I hope he does well. I was merely finishing the quote rearranging the deck chairs. Guys here are using it and some maybe did not realize the Titanic part of it. the expression The idea obviously is that it is not much use to rearrange the deck chairs if the ship is going down. 

I hope the twins can find a couple of guys in the system who can to help out the bullpen. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alan busenitz, trevor hildenberger, john curtiss