Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Cleveland series

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

The Twins have set up their rotation to send out Turley, Wilk, Mejia and Gibson against their biggest challenger in the central. They risk having four consecutive blow up from the starters. With those blow outs, they risk overworking their pen. Looking forward, they play another series against the Indians next weekend. I don't think Berrios will pitch in it either and Santana should get the Sunday game. If they can get through those seven games 3-4, I would be relieved. Given the pitchers, I would put the over under at 2.5 wins for those 7 games. I would also set the over/under on the number of reliever roster moves over the next 3 series at 2.5 moves.

A few weeks ago, the Twins had some days off to play with and align the starters. They chose not to. It could be something they regret.
  • glunn and nicksaviking like this

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:16 PM

I haven't heard that they were going to recall Wilk and I hope not. I did hear that Santiago had a side session and might get a start on Saturday. Regardless, the Twins really only have Berríos and Erv that they can count on. It's pretty tough to line up your starters when you've only got two of them.

• USAFChief, glunn, birdwatcher and 6 others like this

#3 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Members
  • 12,723 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

If the Twins hope to continue to contend, at least 2 of those guys will have to step up somewhat to help stabilize the rotation in the near and mid term this season. Might as well start now.

It's not ideal, but it is what it is. Glad the Twins got the win today with berrios on the mound.

For this upcoming series, as long as they win at least one game it will be "ok"

Cleveland doesn't exactly have a lights out staff these days either....could be some fun shootouts.

Edited by DaveW, 15 June 2017 - 03:17 PM.

• glunn, gil4 and Tibs like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#4 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:42 PM

Have you seen who Cleveland has lined up to start? Carlos Carrasco in game one, and then it's pretty evenly matched from there.

#5 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:44 PM

I haven't heard that they were going to recall Wilk and I hope not. I did hear that Santiago had a side session and might get a start on Saturday. Regardless, the Twins really only have Berríos and Erv that they can count on. It's pretty tough to line up your starters when you've only got two of them.

It is Wilk, and Santiago isn't ready yet is what it sounds like.

• glunn likes this

#6 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

Not that tough.

Santana and Berrios each got an extra day rest last weekend before the San Francisco series. They could have started Gibson Saturday with Santana and Berrios starting on regular rest the previous Thursday and Friday.

If Molitor had made that decision, Berrios and Santana would have combined for 3 of the 7 Indian games instead of 1 of 7. Gibson would miss the Indians completely instead of getting two starts. If they had made that decision, Santana would be starting Sunday following the double header. With Wilk and Mejia starting the double header, the Twins could easily head into Sunday with no bullpen. They could easily head into Sunday down 0-3 in the series. Who do you want starting that Sunday game? The Twins chose Gibson. This isn't hindsight. They knew about the double header. They knew the Indians were a key rival.

I hope it works out. They are really counting on Gibson.
  • glunn, LaBombo, h2oface and 1 other like this

#7 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

Not that tough.

Santana and Berrios each got an extra day rest last weekend before the San Francisco series. They could have started Gibson Saturday with Santana and Berrios starting on regular rest the previous Thursday and Friday.

If Molitor had made that decision, Berrios and Santana would have combined for 3 of the 7 Indian games instead of 1 of 7. Gibson would miss the Indians completely instead of getting two starts. If they had made that decision, Santana would be starting Sunday following the double header. With Wilk and Mejia starting the double header, the Twins could easily head into Sunday with no bullpen. They could easily head into Sunday down 0-3 in the series. Who do you want starting that Sunday game? The Twins chose Gibson. This isn't hindsight. They knew about the double header. They knew the Indians were a key rival.

I hope it works out. They are really counting on Gibson.

Maybe they factored in Santana pitches well when he gets an extra day of rest and thought that was more valuable.

• jorgenswest, glunn and gunnarthor like this

#8 USAFChief

USAFChief

Anyone got a smoke?

• Twins Mods
  • 18,671 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:03 PM

I think in June you do what's best for the long term and don't worry much about lining up starters two series in advance.

This is the Twins team, they're either good enough, or they aren't. I think, with a couple additions, they can compete for the ALC and/or WC. They need some production from the other three rotation spots, but so does Cleveland. So does most everybody.
  • Brock Beauchamp, ChiTownTwinsFan, ashburyjohn and 11 others like this

I am not the paranoid you're looking for.

#9 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

Seems like a great opportunity to give Duffey a start. He can't be worse than any of those guys.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#10 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Chips are falling at this point.

Twins need bats to show up and carry them when pitching is weak.

Especially at home.

Will be very telling series and ten days of data.

They are hitting a ton of homers at Target Field.And Buxton is putting his body on the line to win.

Don't know that is enough, but, it's better than losing 103.

• Tibs and Dman like this

#11 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,043 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

Ha. So much for trying to help Santana. He laid his second egg on two starts after the "rest".

He got an extra day and then threw a 4 hit shutout.

He wasn't great against the Mariners, but they're the hottest hitting team in the league.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#12 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:55 PM

I don't think they want to mess with Duffey. First of all, he's really needed in the BP, with the capacity to go multiple innings, and beyond that he's not stretched out to go 6-7 innings, so there's not many good options beyond Duffey to get to the eighth.

• USAFChief, Blake, PseudoSABR and 2 others like this

#13 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

I consider Santana to be the Twins' ace, but he's not a horse. He seems to know his limit with pitches and takes extra days off. From what I can discern, he takes the ball, but is comfortable taking a fifth day of rest or leaving after 95-100 pitches.

#14 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:15 PM

Are we talking about the same Santana?

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 18,569 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

I think in June you do what's best for the long term and don't worry much about lining up starters two series in advance.

This is the Twins team, they're either good enough, or they aren't. I think, with a couple additions, they can compete for the ALC and/or WC. They need some production from the other three rotation spots, but so does Cleveland. So does most everybody.

Agreed. Rotation juggling is something you do in September, not June.
  • Shaitan likes this

#16 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:24 PM

Why not just pitch Gimenez?

• gil4 and Tibs like this

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins Mods
  • 7,884 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 15 June 2017 - 07:37 PM

It looks to me like the Twins' brain trust believes in LH pitching vs. the Tribe. A few years ago, Cleveland was very vulnerable to lefties, but I didn't think that was the case any longer. If the choices really were Wilk, Heston and Santiago, wow they don't have many options.

#18 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,245 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Agreed. Rotation juggling is something you do in September, not June.

I would agree, but the Twins have skipped starts earlier this year with off days moving Santana up. This would have been consistent with their earlier decisions. I wonder why they made that decision earlier in the season and not now.

If they hadn't made those decisions earlier, I am not sure I would have commented now.
  • USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#19 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

Why not just go for it and call up Fernando Romero for the one start.

Wilk is not on the 40-man, so something would have to be done there.

Santiago would have to be added back on the roster, who is shipped out. They might wait on that decision until they see how Turley pitches.

Chris Heston, on the 40-man, just pitched, so he wouldn't be a viable choice (how did they get in this mess?)

Be fun to see who they do call up and if they make any roster decisions.

There's a lot of pitchers filling up space on the Red Wings roster and some of them have to go elsewhere, soon. Especially if you wish to advance people from AA (and other advancements in the system as EST ends and draft picks are worked into some of the lowly minors, not to mention EST guys MAYBE going to Cedar Rapids).

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#20 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is back!

• Members
  • 1,483 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:51 PM

If the Twins hope to continue to contend, at least 2 of those guys will have to step up somewhat to help stabilize the rotation in the near and mid term this season. Might as well start now.

It's not ideal, but it is what it is. Glad the Twins got the win today with berrios on the mound.

For this upcoming series, as long as they win at least one game it will be "ok"

Cleveland doesn't exactly have a lights out staff these days either....could be some fun shootouts.

Where is Les Straker when we need him?

• LaBombo likes this