Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Select Royce Lewis First Overall

draft royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#41 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,577 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

The Twins have big plans for 35 and 37. Sent LEN3's tweet to one in the draft room and he text back.

"Boom. Just wait."

They've got something lined up and I have some pretty high hopes. 

Baz is my first choice. DL Hall and Carlson are 2A and 2B. I'd love Jennings, Rogers, and others as well.

Let's not judge the Lewis pick til all the dust settles.

I think it is Tanner Houck.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#42 T_J

T_J

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 105 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

Did you catch McKay's reaction after he was drafted by the Rays as a first baseman? It was very telling ;)

Yeah, fella seemed pretty disappointed. 

#43 Dave The Dastardly

Dave The Dastardly

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 520 posts
  • LocationOne Foot Over the Line

Posted 12 June 2017 - 05:59 PM

If they wanted to save money they should have selected Bukauskas.

Instead we got bupkis?

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#44 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

I couldn't see a kid passing up a guaranteed $7 million to go to college.  Crazier things have happened though.

He has already committed to going to college on a scholarship -- UC Irvine. Look at their W-L record the past 10+ years.

If a player doesn't like the team that drafted them, they simply go to college and get drafted again later. This happens every year.

Edited by Doomtints, 12 June 2017 - 06:03 PM.

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#45 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:00 PM

While that may be true, it is also making assumptions that players THE TWINS WANT will slide because of signing issues AND simultaneously that the Twins can sign them even with the extra salary pool.  

And it also assumes that the Twins get a savings from Mr. Scott Boros.

#46 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 538 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

I don't mind it. If he turns out 2/3 as good as Correa—who was mocked around 7th overall for the most part—it's an excellent pick.

• Oldgoat_MN and howieramone2 like this

#47 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• 222 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:01 PM

I am not bummed out by the selection of Lewis. I too wanted a pitcher for a long time. But, if the Twins do get two high performance high school pitchers at 35 and 38 then it could be a stellar draft for the Twins. They could also nab a College starter in round 3.

Last year the Twins selected a lot of high school guys, adding Lewis and at least 1 high school starter at either 35 or 38 means that the Twins have a very deep talent pool at the lower minors and they still have some good prospects in the upper levels. Some might be traded this season if the Twins stay in the playoff picture.

• howieramone2 likes this

#48 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,950 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

I don't mind it. If he turns out 2/3 as good as Correa—who was mocked around 7th overall for the most part—it's an excellent pick.

Not many guys become a Carlos Correa.

• Vanimal46 likes this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#49 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 538 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Not many guys become a Carlos Correa.

Very true. He's turned out a lot better than expected.

#50 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,596 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:05 PM

Love it.

You don't make that pick unless you have a plan.

I love plans.
  • drjim and SF Twins Fan like this

#51 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

Very true. He's turned out a lot better than expected.

depends on who you talk to in regards to expectations. lot of people thought very highly of him.

• KirbyDome89 likes this

#52 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,636 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:06 PM

Did you catch McKay's reaction after he was drafted by the Rays as a first baseman? It was very telling ;)

Seems there was some confusion, and Tampa wanted him announced as a two way player. McKay was noticeably surprized.

#53 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,950 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

Love it.

You don't make that pick unless you have a plan.

I love plans.

OK, couldn't get myself to LIKE it, but I did chuckle.

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#54 amjgt

amjgt

• 2,596 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

To all the "Boras" comments.... he always wants to maximize his client's earnings, which is exactly what agreeing to a below slot deal at 1-1 could do. Of all the guys to make deals with at 1-1, Boras would be at the top of my list.
  • whosafraidofluigirussolo, howieramone2 and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#55 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:08 PM

IMO you never, ever, ever "draft for need" in the first round of the MLB draft. It's not the NFL or NBA. Nobody knows what their "need" will be in 3-5 years with enough certainty to do that. You take the best player on your board, based on your projections of his talent.

I would have preferred Greene, but I see no reason not to give the FO the benefit of the doubt at this point. It's their first draft. 

I also don't think this FO is so averse to dealing with Boras, and vice versa. If I were Boras, I'd be looking for an opportunity to establish a positive relationship with Falvine. Just broadens the realistic potential markets for all of his clients going forward.

• Blackjack, PseudoSABR, Dr. Evil and 3 others like this
Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#56 sftwinsfan

sftwinsfan

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 193 posts

I guess ability to play SS, good speed, and questionable hit tool are in such high demand maybe they should just solve their pitching problems by trading Ehire Adrianza for some young arms?  

• Mike Sixel, Oldgoat_MN, jun and 3 others like this

#57 prouster

prouster

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 538 posts

depends on who you talk to in regards to expectations. lot of people thought very highly of him.

Also true. I'm referring to the general consensus at the time, whatever that means.

#58 Darius

Darius

Rochester Red Wings

• 1,626 posts

And it also assumes that the Twins get a savings from Mr. Scott Boros.

Boras doesn't have much leverage. He's getting much more than he would at a lower pick....and you'll never go higher than #1. What are this kid's chances of going #1 again in the future? Probably not great.

Boras wants his cash too. He'll do what he can't to prevent this kid from going to college and collecting nothing.

But, I wouldn't be overly disappointed to if he doesn't sign, and the Twins keep their pick next year. This kid won't be around for 5-6 years anyway. What's one year?
  • PseudoSABR likes this

#59 darin617

darin617

• 1,435 posts

If not for Dusty Baker destroying Mark Prior & Kerry Wood's arms/careers the Cube would have won a World Series building around those 2 aces.

Joe Mauer was a good pick but if the Twins drafted Mark Prior they would have not rushed him & never would have let him throw so much.

#60 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• 2,053 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 06:10 PM

I guess ability to play SS, good speed, and questionable hit tool are in such high demand maybe they should just solve their pitching problems by trading Ehire Adrianza for some young arms?  

Obviously the Twins disagree with your scouting assessment, as do all the other clubs, who had Lewis high on their boards even if not #1 overall. So sure, you know better than every MLB front office.

• PseudoSABR and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

If you ain't got no haters, you ain't poppin'.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: draft, royce lewis