Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins Daily Official MLB Draft Day 1

hunter greene brendan mckay kyle wright mackenzie gore royce lewis
  • Please log in to reply
723 replies to this topic

#21 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• 762 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

I found the note very interesting on the BA mock, they said a Twins front office guy says the pick is down to 4, McKay, Wright, Greene, and Lewis. It's very interesting that Gore was removed but not Lewis, I wonder if a pre draft deal could be done with him a la Correa in 2012, if you remember Correa was ranked in the 5-8 range that year and nobody had mocked him to the Astros, it was practically all Appel and a few Buxton
  • glunn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#22 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

Lot of steam on McKay... I could get behind him as a two-way guy but would also hope he's saving them money if that's their choice.

I'd really like to see how Falvey and Levine rate him in comparison to say, Stephen Gonsalves.

They sound pretty similar to me.

Gonsalves on MLB.com: Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curve: 50 | Slider: 40 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

"Gonsalves reached Double-A for the first time in 2016 and continued to baffle hitters, finishing among the Minor League's best in ERA and batting average against. He does so with a low-90s fastball coming from his 6-foot-5 frame that might still have a little more velocity to come. His changeup is his best secondary offering, an excellent sinking offspeed pitch. His curve continues to get better as he throws it more, and he still tinkers with a slider."

McKay on MLB.com: Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55 | Overall: 6

"McKay usually opens games on the mound by working with a 90-94 mph fastball that loses a couple ticks of velocity by the middle innings. He could add more velo and maintain it better if he focused on pitching full-time, and his fastball command is so good that his heater is effective in the upper 80s. McKay's curveball is a consistent plus pitch and he's working on refining a changeup that he hasn't needed much to this point in his career."

• howieramone2 and MN_ExPat like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#23 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:37 AM

In a Strib article from last week Greene mentions his relationship with Torii Hunter. Evidently they met at a fundraiser and exchanged phone numbers. Since joining the FO Hunter has been deployed to scout for the draft and was onhand at Greene's TF showcase. I wonder how much clout Torii will have in the draft and whether he is personally pulling for Greene.

• gunnarthor, nicksaviking, beckmt and 2 others like this

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#24 InfraRen

InfraRen

• 410 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

In a Strib article from last week Greene mentions his relationship with Torii Hunter. Evidently they met at a fundraiser and exchanged phone numbers. Since joining the FO Hunter has been deployed to scout for the draft and was onhand at Greene's TF showcase. I wonder how much clout Torii will have in the draft and whether he is personally pulling for Greene.

Baseball America had a post about how Greene's workout really impressed the "former players" of the Twins front office. 

https://t.co/FlN0z8QmU0

Edited by InfraRen, 12 June 2017 - 08:47 AM.

Till I Collapse

#25 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,031 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:49 AM

McKay, if I'm understanding what I've read accurately, is neither the best pitcher nor hitter in the draft...and we expect he'll go first overall? Hmmm... I don't understand this new fascination with the mythica two-way player. I am as intrigued by Shohei as anyone, but even he is probably not destined to hit on a regular basis in MLB.

Go with Greene, please.
  • Mike Sixel, beckmt, InfraRen and 1 other like this

Rap name: LL Cool Bean.

#26 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,607 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

I found the note very interesting on the BA mock, they said a Twins front office guy says the pick is down to 4, McKay, Wright, Greene, and Lewis. It's very interesting that Gore was removed but not Lewis, I wonder if a pre draft deal could be done with him a la Correa in 2012, if you remember Correa was ranked in the 5-8 range that year and nobody had mocked him to the Astros, it was practically all Appel and a few Buxton

I was thinking about Correa too when I started hearing these Lewis hypotheticals. 

• Bob Sacamento likes this

#27 InfraRen

InfraRen

• 410 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:56 AM

• Carneal&Gordon and nytwinsfan like this
Till I Collapse

#28 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:57 AM

McKay, if I'm understanding what I've read accurately, is neither the best pitcher nor hitter in the draft...and we expect he'll go first overall? Hmmm... I don't understand this new fascination with the mythica two-way player. I am as intrigued by Shohei as anyone, but even he is probably not destined to hit on a regular basis in MLB.

Go with Greene, please.

He might be the best hitter. It's either him or Pavin Smith. He might be the best pitcher, too. 

#29 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Showing Up to Summer Camp in the Worst Shape of my Life!

• 13,511 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

Royce Lewis or McKay? Man that's disappointing. 

• beckmt, Oldgoat_MN and Pardon My Dinger like this

#30 MN_ExPat

MN_ExPat

I had fun once... It was awful.

• 534 posts
  • LocationSouth Georgia (the state, not the country)

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

Lot of steam on McKay... I could get behind him as a two-way guy but would also hope he's saving them money if that's their choice.

I'd really like to see how Falvey and Levine rate him in comparison to say, Stephen Gonsalves.

They sound pretty similar to me.

Gonsalves on MLB.com: Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curve: 50 | Slider: 40 | Changeup: 60 | Control: 50 | Overall: 55

"Gonsalves reached Double-A for the first time in 2016 and continued to baffle hitters, finishing among the Minor League's best in ERA and batting average against. He does so with a low-90s fastball coming from his 6-foot-5 frame that might still have a little more velocity to come. His changeup is his best secondary offering, an excellent sinking offspeed pitch. His curve continues to get better as he throws it more, and he still tinkers with a slider."

McKay on MLB.com: Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 60 | Changeup: 50 | Control: 55 | Overall: 6

"McKay usually opens games on the mound by working with a 90-94 mph fastball that loses a couple ticks of velocity by the middle innings. He could add more velo and maintain it better if he focused on pitching full-time, and his fastball command is so good that his heater is effective in the upper 80s. McKay's curveball is a consistent plus pitch and he's working on refining a changeup that he hasn't needed much to this point in his career."

I'd have to agree. As any one who has watched Gonsalves pitch, those numbers don't do his stuff or his ability to "feel" his pitches justice. I saw Mckay pitch against Kentucky, and he looked really good against a good hitting team. His stuff was just sneaky good.  

I've said it before, but pure velocity is overrated. Location and movement (as well as "feel") will always trump pure speed (Greg Maddux anyone?), and I'd take that in a heart beat over it.

• birdwatcher, bluechipper and Dave The Dastardly like this

#31 Intramural Legend

Intramural Legend

• 543 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:01 AM

Go with Greene, please.

Statistically, he may be the best at both.

I think all of them are a bit of a crap shoot, and I haven't seen any of them pitch. Given it's year one of the new crew, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (there is a one year limit on this :) )

• gagu likes this

#32 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,031 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:04 AM

If the Twins do not draft a pitcher first overall, i am going to act a fool. 

• Oldgoat_MN, Vanimal46, Dave The Dastardly and 1 other like this

#33 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• 7,252 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:05 AM

Have the Twins drafted a Boras client with their first pick before?

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#34 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Have the Twins drafted a Boras client with their first pick before?

Yep, he didn't sign. Travis Lee was the last one, I believe. But we also took Belcher 1/1 and he didn't sign either. I very much doubt that the new regime is going to want Boras clients in the locker room trying to get Sano and Buxton to change agents. 

• Willihammer, Hosken Bombo Disco and gagu like this

#35 Pardon My Dinger

Pardon My Dinger

Cat Evangelist

• 3,031 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:12 AM

Statistically, he may be the best at both.

I think all of them are a bit of a crap shoot, and I haven't seen any of them pitch. Given it's year one of the new crew, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt (there is a one year limit on this :) )

Could be true, but stats should be immaterial in a first year player draft, imo. We should be evaluating who has the best chance to become the top pitcher in the group. Personally, I don't think we should care who has the best line to this point. Best tools and makeup are what we should be looking at. So far, I think that's Greene. 

#36 Roaddog

Roaddog

• 257 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:13 AM

Lewis would save money, for sure. His swing has too many holes for my liking. We would really have to nail the next few picks for me to be ok with this.

#37 InfraRen

InfraRen

• 410 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Lewis would save money, for sure. His swing has too many holes for my liking. We would really have to nail the next few picks for me to be ok with this.

Is Romero the pitcher that's super talented but had a legal issue?

How would people feel about Lewis at 1 and Carlson/Romero at 35?

Till I Collapse

#38 Minnesotatwins005

Minnesotatwins005

Elizabethton Twins

• 40 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:19 AM

If we take a high school player 1-1 I really hope it's Gore. I just have a feeling from reading everything on him and the videos that I've seen that he will be the best player from the 1st round in 3-5 years.
  • Oldgoat_MN likes this

#39 InfraRen

InfraRen

• 410 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

PA "So, do the Twins take Hunter Greene?"

LaVelle E Neal: "Nah, I don't think so."

Edited by InfraRen, 12 June 2017 - 09:27 AM.

• bluechipper likes this
Till I Collapse

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

Is Romero the pitcher that's super talented but had a legal issue?

How would people feel about Lewis at 1 and Carlson/Romero at 35?

I'd be against that.  A guy like Carlson or Romero or Enlow might fall on their own. If we're going to try and mess with the draft, we have to aim for a guy like Baz or Adell to fall. I'm fairly confident that a top 15ish guy on some list will fall to 35 independently.  Buehler did it a few years ago, Hudson did it last year. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hunter greene, brendan mckay, kyle wright, mackenzie gore, royce lewis