Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Possible Trade Partners for Dozier

dozier rangers
  • Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#21 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,028 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:39 AM

Concur with Oldgoat. Nothing has changed in the 2B market since last winter. Dozier is falling back to Earth with his .741 OPS. The Twins may have to start looking at Polanco and Gordon as trade bait in order to acquire top-tier pitching prospects.  

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#22 Doomtints

Doomtints

Joe's Shades™

• Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:43 AM

Concur with Oldgoat. Nothing has changed in the 2B market since last winter. Dozier is falling back to Earth with his .741 OPS. The Twins may have to start looking at Polanco and Gordon as trade bait in order to acquire top-tier pitching prospects.  

That's terrible. They would be better off going free agent shopping in the offseason.

• d-mac likes this

#23 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:45 AM

The Cubs could be in the market given Addison Russell's struggles.They could move Baez to SS and use Zobrist to LF or Super Utility.Their picture (Russell, Schwarber, and Happ) will clarify before the trade deadline. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#24 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,028 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:52 AM

That's terrible. They would be better off going free agent shopping in the offseason.

Anyone catching your eye on this list? It's not a great class of free agents. 

• caninatl04 likes this

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,561 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:53 AM

Brock Stewart hasn't seen much action at all this year so far.

60-day DL, right shoulder tendonitis, might return later this month...

As far as the Dodgers go, at this point I wouldn't mind a return like this:

One of Walker Buehler or Mitchell White + Shea Spitzbarth + one of DJ Peters or Luke Raley

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:54 AM

Anyone catching your eye on this list? It's not a great class of free agents. 

Michael Pineda :)

• Cory Engelhardt and d-mac like this
-----

#27 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

Any chance we'll extend a player? Anyone?

• Members
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:59 AM

The Cubs could be in the market given Addison Russell's struggles.They could move Baez to SS and use Zobrist to LF or Super Utility.Their picture (Russell, Schwarber, and Happ) will clarify before the trade deadline. 

Interesting idea. And Baez appears to be capable at SS, which is how they'd fit Dozier into the lineup.

However, Zobrist is performing pretty well for the Cubs. Dozier would be an upgrade, but not all that much by any single statistic that catches the eye (or, more correctly, my eye).

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#28 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:00 AM

Had Dozier started 2017 where he left off in 2016 I believe he would be generating some interest. Failing that, he is now a 1.5 year rental. And not nearly as enticing as he was in the off-season (where there wasn't all that much demand).

I like Dozier a lot, but I do not think that there is a market for him.

I suspect that if the Twins had known how Dozier was going to play in April/May they would have made a trade with the Dodgers and De Leon would be on our DL right now.

I can't think of a single team that really feels getting Dozier (and his .237/.332/.409 (.741) slash line) would move the needle enough to surrender a player who would make a difference for the Twins, now or in the future.

Interesting.  So there wasn't a market for Dozier last year when he was red hot and there's not a market for him now.  Basically he's un-tradeable all the time.  

• Mike Sixel likes this

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,754 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:20 AM

Interesting.  So there wasn't a market for Dozier last year when he was red hot and there's not a market for him now.  Basically he's un-tradeable all the time.  

It's less about Dozier and more about the second base position around the league, which hasn't really changed in the last 6 months.

• gagu and d-mac like this

#30 MangLitch

MangLitch

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:28 AM

I think this thread is spot on with the lack of interest. We need to hope for a vacancy to pop up due to injury or just pure panic. 

Along with that, we need to hope Dozier goes on a power surge well before the deadline to show that he is just a second half guy. 

Then, we still will likely need to pigs to fly and chickens to lay golden eggs to get a deal worth doing. 

Looks like we may just need to pencil Dozier in the lineup for a while. Does Gordon have the arm to play 3rd? Not ideal with his lack of prototypical 3rd base power but is it better to put him there and Sano to 1st instead of trading Dozier for a bag of baseballs and a guy that runs a pretty solid hot dog stand?

#31 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,518 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:38 AM

I think the Twins are going to slowly but surely slide out of it, and we all know Cleveland will probably take charge of the division sooner or later, which should give the Twins reason to deal. 

Oh, man, now you've really harshed my mellow. I prefer to believe that the Twins will exceed all expectations, top the division all summer, then lose a six-game lead in the last week.

• caninatl04 likes this

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

#32 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:44 AM

Does Gordon have the arm to play 3rd? Not ideal with his lack of prototypical 3rd base power but is it better to put him there and Sano to 1st instead of trading Dozier for a bag of baseballs and a guy that runs a pretty solid hot dog stand?

Not knocking you Manglitch but I just don't get the love on TD of the idea of moving Sano to first when he has been playing well at 3rd. We have so many first base/DH types that we do not need to make Sano another one when he is fully capable of playing 3rd. I would rather give Vargas first base and let Grossman be the DH when Mauer is done. And, oh, by the way, we still have Mauer this year and next AND he is still one of the top producers on the team even if he is not the MVP/Gold Glove/Batting Title guy anymore.

• beckmt, Vanimal46, gagu and 2 others like this

#33 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN
  • Twitter: enge0280

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:45 AM

60-day DL, right shoulder tendonitis, might return later this month...

As far as the Dodgers go, at this point I wouldn't mind a return like this:

One of Walker Buehler or Mitchell White + Shea Spitzbarth + one of DJ Peters or Luke Raley

I can't see the Dodgers trading Buehler for almost anything right now, and White has been pretty amazing at High A so far. Hypothetically if the Dodgers do ask the Twins about Dozier, I would guess those two are off the table (Buehler more so than White, maybe.)

I do like your idea about the Diamondbacks. What do you think of Robbie Ray?

#34 MangLitch

MangLitch

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Not knocking you Manglitch but I just don't get the love on TD of the idea of moving Sano to first when he has been playing well at 3rd. We have so many first base/DH types that we do not need to make Sano another one when he is fully capable of playing 3rd. I would rather give Vargas first base and let Grossman be the DH when Mauer is done. And, oh, by the way, we still have Mauer this year and next AND he is still one of the top producers on the team even if he is not the MVP/Gold Glove/Batting Title guy anymore.

Not saying I believe it is best case scenario. Just looking at how this thing looks in a year or two and Gordon is pushing for MLB time.... 

I guess the likely scenario is that Gordon pushes for SS time and we keep the infield the way it is. I would be fine with this as well.

#35 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 13,754 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:09 AM

Robbie Ray is basically a co-ace on the NL wild card leader at the moment. 25 years old, making league minimum, controlled for 3 seasons after this one.  They're not trading him right now.

Heck, the idea that the Diamondbacks have a hole at second base seems erroneous too.  Brandon Drury has a 98 wRC+ there, after a 102 last year, virtually the same as Dozier's 97 this season and 106 career.  Drury is posting close to average defensive metrics this season too, his first year committed full-time to the position.  Furthermore, here are the 2017 wRC+ marks for the other 3 middle infielders on the Diamondbacks roster: 107, 99, and 93. Very doubtful they see a need to pay a high price for Dozier right now.

• Mike Sixel, Cory Engelhardt, beckmt and 1 other like this

#36 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

Checks standings. Yep, we're still in first place while Dozier, Mauer, Buxton and Rosario are all under-performing offensively and Hughes, Gibson and Santiago are under-performing on the rubber. Our pitching is scary but I think it's a bit early to sell Dozier and Santana.

• Cory Engelhardt and Dozier's Glorious Hair like this

#37 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:31 AM

Robbie Ray is basically a co-ace on the NL wild card leader at the moment. 25 years old, making league minimum, controlled for 3 seasons after this one.  They're not trading him right now.

Heck, the idea that the Diamondbacks have a hole at second base seems erroneous too.  Brandon Drury has a 98 wRC+ there, after a 102 last year, virtually the same as Dozier's 97 this season and 106 career.  Drury is posting close to average defensive metrics this season too, his first year committed full-time to the position.  Furthermore, here are the 2017 wRC+ marks for the other 3 middle infielders on the Diamondbacks roster: 107, 99, and 93. Very doubtful they see a need to pay a high price for Dozier right now.

You are right. No argument here.

#38 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• Members
  • 628 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:32 AM

Checks standings. Yep, we're still in first place while Dozier, Mauer, Buxton and Rosario are all under-performing offensively and Hughes, Gibson and Santiago are under-performing on the rubber. Our pitching is scary but I think it's a bit early to sell Dozier and Santana.

The Twins may never find a trade partner for Dozier with his age, controllable years left and lack of defensive versatility.

I do think Ervin may be traded, especially if the Twins are out of it and/or Cleveland starts playing like they are capable of. Won't give him away, but will be open to offers.

That said, if the Twins think Gordon is the SS of the future as early as next year, wouldn't Polanco make some team interested? Or would you rather trade Gordon if you are looking to add pitching?

#39 Thrylos

Thrylos

• Members
  • 9,561 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:35 AM

Untouchable

And I cannot stand his beard :)

I like Cody Reed and Taylor Clark in that organization. 

• Cory Engelhardt likes this
-----

#40 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:40 AM

The Twins may never find a trade partner for Dozier with his age, controllable years left and lack of defensive versatility.

I do think Ervin may be traded, especially if the Twins are out of it and/or Cleveland starts playing like they are capable of. Won't give him away, but will be open to offers.

That said, if the Twins think Gordon is the SS of the future as early as next year, wouldn't Polanco make some team interested? Or would you rather trade Gordon if you are looking to add pitching?

I mean, you listen on anyone but as discussed in the Santana thread, I don't think that'll happen.

My guess is that this offseason the Twins will trade one of Dozier/Polanco/Gordon but, unless we fall off the map, it won't happen during the season.

• USAFChief, Cory Engelhardt, Vanimal46 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dozier, rangers