Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Possible Trade Partners for Dozier

dozier rangers
  • Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#1 caninatl04

caninatl04

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 737 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:55 PM

While awaiting late starting games, I revisited the "idea" of trading Brian Dozier.I began by asking which teams were not out of contention and had a 2B "significantly" poorer than Dozier.

That led me to three teams: Bosox, Indians and Rangers.I found no NL teams that met both criteria.I immediately excluded in-division Cleveland.I then looked at the Bosox's cupboard of potential prospects and found it pretty much bare.

That left the Rangers.And, lo and behold, they have three top-tier left-handed starting pitching prospects:

Y. Mendez (#2)

B. Martin (#5), and

C. Ragans (#8)

Surely, they could part with one of three.Just sayin'

• glunn and Dr. Evil like this

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,469 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

Are you basing poorer solely on the 2017 sample or your perceived skill level of the players?

I suppose it is possible that the Rangers are ready to give up on a 23 year old 2B with 33 home runs at 22. They would have to be so down on him that they would also trade a top tier pitching prospect.

The Indians have Kipnis and Red Sox have Pedroia. They may not be ready to give up on them yet.
  • glunn, Thrylos, bteichr and 7 others like this

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,131 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:33 PM

You did not look at NL West, I suspect ;)

All 3 top teams need a second baseman. Forsythe is hitting .191/.318/.258 for the Dodgers :)

I'd look at the Rockies and D-backs before trade him to the Dodgers.The Rockies and their young staff might be a good landing spot for Santana as well and they have plenty of MLB-ready arms (Hoffman & Marquez two of them who could be plug into the Twins rotation right away) who are not their headliners this season to make this a package of a deal...

• glunn, LaBombo and tarheeltwinsfan like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 yarnivek1972

yarnivek1972

Cooperstown

• 6,527 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:41 PM

I don't think the Rangers are likely to trade pitching away. Well, perhaps I should say it would probably be a big mistake. The Rangers rarely have trouble scoring runs. They almost always have bad pitching though.
  • glunn and Ryan Atkins like this

#5 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,667 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:47 PM

While the fruit hasn't ripened yet on the old prospect tree, it's pretty exciting to look at what the Twins have now, and should have in the near future, for middle infield options.

Not including Rosier, Polanco looks to be a keeper. Adrianza, through ST and his rehab stint and his short time with the Twins, has looked good. Escobar is a nice ballplayer. Vielma has potential as a contact/speed glove man off the bench if he never makes it as a starter. And then there is Gordon...enough said there. Oh, and Goodrum shows potential as a super utility guy liked we all hoped DanSan might have been. Remember when the Twins couldn't find anyone to play the middle infield?

I just don't think Dozier gets moved if the team is playing well come July. Further, after last off season attempts to possibly move him proved underwhelming, I'm still uncertain of his actual trade value. Does it improve mid season for a team looking for that edge in their contention window? Possibly.

I still wonder about keeping him long term with Mauer gone after 2018 and juggling the infield with Sano, who I like a lot at 3B, moving to 1B or Dozier sliding over there. May be crazy, but it's a thought that has crossed my mind.
  • brvama and bighat like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• 10,131 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:53 PM

I still wonder about keeping him long term with Mauer gone after 2018 and juggling the infield with Sano, who I like a lot at 3B, moving to 1B or Dozier sliding over there. May be crazy, but it's a thought that has crossed my mind.

Other than blocking prospects who will be ready when Dozier's contract is up, Dozier's arm is too weak to play at 3B (was inadequate at SS, that's why he moved) and he is just too short to play first.I'd rather see the Twins move them sooner than later, and getting something back in return...

Edited by Thrylos, 08 June 2017 - 07:55 PM.

• Jerr, brvama, wsnydes and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,476 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:06 PM

All 3 top teams need a second baseman. Forsythe is hitting .191/.318/.258 for the Dodgers :)

I'd look at the Rockies and D-backs before trade him to the Dodgers.The Rockies and their young staff might be a good landing spot for Santana as well and they have plenty of MLB-ready arms (Hoffman & Marquez two of them who could be plug into the Twins rotation right away) who are not their headliners this season to make this a package of a deal...

I'd have no problems sticking it back to LAD.There's some sick irony there if they have to part with more prospects to get Dozier after lowballing the Twins in the first place.

Just did a quick look here:

Yadier Alvarez - 2.7 years younger then average but not exactly lighting up high A.ERA is over 5.He's getting lots of Ks (but less than low A), walking way too many guys, and a bit more prone to the HR.

Brock Stewart hasn't seen much action at all this year so far.

Kiebert Ruiz is still a guy I like.He's holding his own in the MWL at 18.He's 4 years younger than the league. OPS just north of .700, which is good for a C, but even better given his age.For the record, he's a year younger than Rortvedt and doing much better in the same league.

Jordan Sheffield is repeating the MWL, though doing better. He's league average age wise and having a good season. 

Walker Buehler is having a very nice season in AA.

I wonder if they'd rethink a Stewart, Buehler, Ruiz package for Dozier.The are 2 games out of first place with two teams in front of them in a much tighter race now than what they were predicting this offseason.

• gagu and caninatl04 like this

#8 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 09 June 2017 - 05:37 AM

Alvarez + Stewart for Dozier
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#9 Cory Engelhardt

Cory Engelhardt

• 631 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul, MN
  • Twitter: enge0280

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:00 AM

Alvarez + Stewart for Dozier

I feel like I remember a thread about this deal happening at some point in the not too distant past? Anyone else remember anything like this maybe 3-6 months ago?

• gunnarthor, brvama, twinsnorth49 and 7 others like this

#10 spycake

spycake

• 16,758 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:46 AM

While Forsythe has scuffled for the Dodgers, he hasn't been their primary 2B this year anyway. Dodgers 2B in total have a 123 wRC+, 2nd in the NL and 5th in MLB, versus 91 for the Twins. Utley has a 96 versus Dozier's 97. Chris Taylor has the second most starts at the position and a 148 wRC+. Enrique Hernandez now has a 100 wRC+ over 3 seasons with the Dodgers in a utility role too.

Dozier has been solid so far but has shown his HR binge was exactly that and not a new norm, I am not even sure if he is a great target anymore. If the Dodgers want offense, they might be better off acquiring an outfielder or even a first baseman. Although they have a team non-pitcher 107 wRC+, tied for 3rd in the NL / 5th in MLB, so they may not yet think offense is a major area of need.
  • Mike Sixel, markos, melshmeister and 1 other like this

#11 spycake

spycake

• 16,758 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:48 AM

Also, the Ranger just signed Odor to a long-term extension a few months ago, I am pretty sure they are not looking to make a major 2B acquisition quite yet.
  • Oldgoat_MN, bluechipper, d-mac and 1 other like this

#12 spycake

spycake

• 16,758 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:57 AM

Also, Pedroia has been hurt but has a 100 OPS+ after last year's 116 and is set to return this weekend.

Kipnis' season numbers are down, but he missed spring training and started late. He has a .859 OPS over the last month or so, I doubt the Indians are worried about the position.

Not sure the 2B market has changed all that much in the last few months, likely not in Dozier's favor anyway when you factor in his solid but unspectacular 2017 performance.
  • Jerr, Oldgoat_MN, Oxtung and 2 others like this

#13 Don Walcott

Don Walcott

Rochester Red Wings

• 2,229 posts
  • LocationSanta Fe, NM

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

All 3 top teams need a second baseman. Forsythe is hitting .191/.318/.258 for the Dodgers :)

I'd look at the Rockies and D-backs before trade him to the Dodgers. The Rockies and their young staff might be a good landing spot for Santana as well and they have plenty of MLB-ready arms (Hoffman & Marquez two of them who could be plug into the Twins rotation right away) who are not their headliners this season to make this a package of a deal...

Lemahieu just won a batting title last year, and he's a better fielder than Dozier. I don't think there's any chance the Rockies trade for a 2b (or any infielder for that matter).
  • Cory Engelhardt, Tecmo, gagu and 2 others like this

#14 mazeville

mazeville

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 746 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:55 AM

Ha ha ha! Forsythe sucks. That's what they get for not giving up what it takes to get Dozier. 

I generally agree that targeting the Rockies in particular would be a good option, and Dozier would fit nicely in that lineup. 

I think the Twins are going to slowly but surely slide out of it, and we all know Cleveland will probably take charge of the division sooner or later, which should give the Twins reason to deal. 

#15 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:22 AM

As we expected before the season began, almost the entire pitching staff is a dumpster fire. How the heck is this team winning games? This team is incredibly lucky, the pitching staff is having their meltdowns all on the same days, resulting in lopsided losses but still a lot of wins. Very strange stuff, but it's inevitable that the wheels will come off.

Unfortunately Dozier has taken the dip that we expected him to take. The Twins can probably still get one pitching prospect for him, I suppose. Even if Dozier goes on his usual mid-to-late season tear, I doubt what the Twins could get in return for him changes that much. Teams know who he is, though I suspect he would probably be great in the playoffs no team is going to bring that up during negotiations.

Unfortunately, Polanco is having some rookie struggles, but a move like this would be for next year+ and not this year, so losing Dozier's production would not be a big deal. Losing his personality, I don't know. I would imagine he is a leader in the clubhouse, but like it or not this is going to be Sano's team for years to come.

Edited by Doomtints, 09 June 2017 - 08:27 AM.

• Oldgoat_MN and d-mac like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

#16 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

All in all, a good season.

• 1,943 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:26 AM

Had Dozier started 2017 where he left off in 2016 I believe he would be generating some interest. Failing that, he is now a 1.5 year rental. And not nearly as enticing as he was in the off-season (where there wasn't all that much demand).

I like Dozier a lot, but I do not think that there is a market for him.

I suspect that if the Twins had known how Dozier was going to play in April/May they would have made a trade with the Dodgers and De Leon would be on our DL right now.

I can't think of a single team that really feels getting Dozier (and his .237/.332/.409 (.741) slash line) would move the needle enough to surrender a player who would make a difference for the Twins, now or in the future.

• Doomtints, Vanimal46, d-mac and 3 others like this

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet just because it has a name or a photo you recognize.

- Abraham Lincoln

#17 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,845 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:33 AM

While the fruit hasn't ripened yet on the old prospect tree, it's pretty exciting to look at what the Twins have now, and should have in the near future, for middle infield options.

Not including Rosier, Polanco looks to be a keeper. Adrianza, through ST and his rehab stint and his short time with the Twins, has looked good. Escobar is a nice ballplayer. Vielma has potential as a contact/speed glove man off the bench if he never makes it as a starter. And then there is Gordon...enough said there. Oh, and Goodrum shows potential as a super utility guy liked we all hoped DanSan might have been. Remember when the Twins couldn't find anyone to play the middle infield?

I just don't think Dozier gets moved if the team is playing well come July. Further, after last off season attempts to possibly move him proved underwhelming, I'm still uncertain of his actual trade value. Does it improve mid season for a team looking for that edge in their contention window? Possibly.

I may be in the minority here, but i'm beginning to think Mauer re-signs with the team after 2018 but at a much reduced contract.  It's not like the team has been actively fielding future replacements at 1B unless the plan is to slide Sano over there and grab another 3B.

#18 zenser

zenser

• 524 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:34 AM

Do the Rockies make sense?They do have LeMahieu.He is a nice two hole hitter who gets on base and won a batting title and a gold glove.

#19 laloesch

laloesch

• 1,845 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

I'd have no problems sticking it back to LAD.There's some sick irony there if they have to part with more prospects to get Dozier after lowballing the Twins in the first place.

Just did a quick look here:

Yadier Alvarez - 2.7 years younger then average but not exactly lighting up high A.ERA is over 5.He's getting lots of Ks (but less than low A), walking way too many guys, and a bit more prone to the HR.

Brock Stewart hasn't seen much action at all this year so far.

Kiebert Ruiz is still a guy I like.He's holding his own in the MWL at 18.He's 4 years younger than the league. OPS just north of .700, which is good for a C, but even better given his age.For the record, he's a year younger than Rortvedt and doing much better in the same league.

Jordan Sheffield is repeating the MWL, though doing better. He's league average age wise and having a good season. 

Walker Buehler is having a very nice season in AA.

I wonder if they'd rethink a Stewart, Buehler, Ruiz package for Dozier.The are 2 games out of first place with two teams in front of them in a much tighter race now than what they were predicting this offseason.

As crazy as this sounds i would approach them again and see if they are REALLY willing to talk this time.  If not oh well.

#20 Doomtints

Doomtints

Minnesota Twins

• 3,688 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Do the Rockies make sense?  

This question gets asked a lot. Poor Rockies.  :(

• Oldgoat_MN and David HK like this

Twins Manifesto: Build for .500, hope for more.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dozier, rangers