Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins MLB Draft Preview: Kyle Wright, SP

kyle wright mlb draft draft
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,593 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:19 PM

My guess? He'd go to Ft Myers for introduction and a tuneup and could see AA for a couple of starts before finishing his year in the pen due to innings limits.
  • gunnarthor and 70charger like this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#22 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,842 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 02:34 PM

Yeah, I don't think the idea that the Twins are slow on their pitchers is valid. Berrios got to the majors at 22. Both Stewart and Gonsalves were among the youngest arms at AA last year. Jay got to AA in a year. Romero was pushed to AA after TJ surgery etc. Really, except for injuries, the only thing slowing our minor league pitchers has been their performance. Brad Steil has done a good job pushing prospects up the ladder.

• diehardtwinsfan, Twins33, 70charger and 1 other like this

#23 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,488 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:06 PM

Don't you just love the strategy of being so bad you get the number one pick, and then you take a number 9 at number 1, just to save a couple million to pay a 30 something? And you totally don't take advantage of the number one overall pick. Not my style.

• drjim, DocBauer and Vanimal46 like this

#24 Blackjack

Blackjack

• 947 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 09:07 PM

The older I get the more I realize that 'slow and steady will win a lot races'.

Wright will 'hopefully' give you a reliable 2-3 starter for years. Greenecould be great but he could also be a bust- the Twins need reliable starting pitching right now.

I'd pick Wright.

------------------------

• brvama likes this

#25 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

They haven't settled on a price yet, or the two sides haven'tbegun talking price yet?

When do those conversation usually start?

As of press time, they hadn't begun talking. Today might be that day though.

#26 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 10:20 AM

I've seen a photo of Wright with his elbows drawn up and back, but his throwing forearm wasn't pointed down in the exaggerated inverted W that causes real concern. His forearm was pointed sideways, so he wasn't headed for the damaging torque phase that makes the W so notorious. Also, if you look at Wright's form just before release, you see a very nice squared-up shoulder and elbow, where his throwing elbow isn't lagging far behind a line drawn across his chest. This means Wright is generating the final impulse out front, using the power from his legs and torso more than just his upper body. As long as he keeps that final flip out front at the end of the kinetic chain, he should be okay. 

I don't know all the ins-and-outs of what scouts look for, but one professional scout I trust said there were way more similarities between Wright and Strasburg's delivery than he realized. Glad I drew his attention to that... cause he's in the draft room right now. I don't know if it's been a topic of conversation though.

#27 twinsbaby

twinsbaby

• 233 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:04 PM

I don't know all the ins-and-outs of what scouts look for, but one professional scout I trust said there were way more similarities between Wright and Strasburg's delivery than he realized. Glad I drew his attention to that... cause he's in the draft room right now. I don't know if it's been a topic of conversation though.

Not Inverted W, is his Timing and TJ Twist. Very horrible if you ask any scout.

#28 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,488 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:24 PM

Scouts? The same ones that were so right about Trout? The professionals.

• Dozier's Glorious Hair likes this

#29 Huddy

Huddy

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 203 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 10 June 2017 - 05:13 PM

Wright is pitching at OSU in about an hour and a half on espn fyi.

#30 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:10 PM

Watched and wrote about his start in the draft thread.

122 pitches. Two bad innings. Manager should never have allowed him to pitch disastrous 7th inning. He was nearing 100 pitches and velocity was down a tick in the 6th.

If a single performance could hurt his draft stock, this was it.

#31 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,488 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:00 PM

Watched and wrote about his start in the draft thread.

122 pitches. Two bad innings. Manager should never have allowed him to pitch disastrous 7th inning. He was nearing 100 pitches and velocity was down a tick in the 6th.

If a single performance could hurt his draft stock, this was it.

Good. Best to go Greene. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kyle wright, mlb draft, draft