Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Twins MLB Draft Preview: Brendan McKay, SP/1B

brendan mckay dave winfield kris bryant dansby swanson rob manfred
  • Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Sweetwater

Sweetwater

• 62 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:29 PM

Don't want any part of this guy. A first baseman or a third starter (most likely). No way! Wright or Greene.

#22 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:50 PM

Probably a little but I really don't know enough to be upset.

This is one of the things that makes the MLB Draft so much different from the NFL Draft. With the mix of college and high school players, there is a lot of projection

Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#23 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 02:51 PM

Don't want any part of this guy. A first baseman or a third starter (most likely). No way! Wright or Greene.

I feel like some one should make a Vote Wright and Vote Greene poster and bumper stickers

Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#24 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,244 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

I would be petty upset.
Anyone else, I think, my view will be to trust the experts and wait to see if it works out before judging.
But with McKay my gut just says no. I just don't think he's qualified to go 1:1, even while admitting that I'm not qualified to say that.
  • gunnarthor, Twins33 and Vanimal46 like this

#25 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:51 AM

If I was the Twins my board would look like this:

1. Wright

2. Greene

3. Lewis

4. McKay

Lucky enough for them, they won't have to go past the first option on their board

• Bob Sacamento likes this
Cody Christie
@nodaktwinsfan

#26 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,173 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 08:25 AM

If I was the Twins my board would look like this:

1. Wright

2. Greene

3. Lewis

4. McKay

Lucky enough for them, they won't have to go past the first option on their board

I think mine is Wright, Gore, Greene, McKay, Adell but, yeah, they'll almost certainly take Wright.

#27 chpettit19

chpettit19

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 182 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 11:15 AM

I wouldn't be upset by a McKay pick at all. I think Wright would be my first choice, but I'd be ok with McKay. I'm not overly concerned about him being a 1B instead of a middle of the field player. I'd be fine with them taking him and putting him in A+ and letting him work on hitting and hitting alone. He's got a GREAT eye and approach at the plate and I think that goes a long way in a player being able to succeed as they move up the chain. Would everyone complain if he turns into a .300 30 hr 100+RBI middle of the order bat? He's a little smaller than Schwarber, but he reminds me a lot of Schwarber coming out of college. Would we be upset if we drafted Schwarber 1:1? I wouldn't be (yes I know he's struggling right now). And if he focuses on hitting for a 2-3 years and it's clear he's not going to be able to cut it it's pretty nice to know he isn't necessarily a complete bust at that point because you haven't used his arm since he's playing 1B and now you put him on the mound and see if he can become a rotation or bullpen piece. If Wright can't pitch his career is over. I think Wright has a much higher ceiling on the bump, but I'd be ok with McKay for his bat. When a middle of the rotation arm is your backup plan for a guy it's not a bad deal.

#28 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• 8,244 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 05:30 PM

I predict McKay will be drafted as a hitter, and will fall out of the top 8.

#29 Einstein1

Einstein1

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 80 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 11:16 AM

McKay is on ESPN right now.  I like him, very polished, sitting 91-94, good off speed stuff, lefthanded, I think he will be relatively quick to the majors.  I think he'd be a very safe pick.  That being said, he seems like more of a middle of the rotation starter and I don't know if that's good enough for 1-1. If they are leaning his way I have to think it's to save money to spend on 35/37.  I guess I could live with it, but I would probably go with the higher upside of Wright or Greene if it was my decision.  

• gunnarthor likes this

#30 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,173 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:33 PM

McKay is on ESPN right now.  I like him, very polished, sitting 91-94, good off speed stuff, lefthanded, I think he will be relatively quick to the majors.  I think he'd be a very safe pick.  That being said, he seems like more of a middle of the rotation starter and I don't know if that's good enough for 1-1. If they are leaning his way I have to think it's to save money to spend on 35/37.  I guess I could live with it, but I would probably go with the higher upside of Wright or Greene if it was my decision.  

This is pretty much how I feel.

#31 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,113 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:08 AM

My list is

Wright/McKay

Gore

Green

I really don't care which one of Wright or McKay the Twins pick.  I hope they pick the one that has a better career. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brendan mckay, dave winfield, kris bryant, dansby swanson, rob manfred